Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Witty McWitterson
5,023 Posts
The Rawland is a supercool bike. So is the monkey. Think of it this way: the KM is more a modern mountain bike. A versatile one, but a mountain bike. The Rawland is closer to an old school Bridgestone, short and quick. It's also a very versatile bike, able to take 650b and 29"/700c rubber with capable ease.

If your riding is focused with more riding to the trailhead, railing the trail, then riding home on gravel, go for the Rawland. If your riding is focused almost entirely on trail riding, stay with the KM.

·
Down South Yooper
1,010 Posts
While KM's are great bikes, they are also still in production and (relatively) a dime a dozen. Easy to replace should you find the desire. I have never worried too much about selling a more or less production frame. If I want another, finding one isn't a problem.

Buying and selling bikes is fun. Riding them is OK too, I guess..

Plum

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
~martini~ said:
The Rawland is a supercool bike. So is the monkey. Think of it this way: the KM is more a modern mountain bike. A versatile one, but a mountain bike. The Rawland is closer to an old school Bridgestone, short and quick. It's also a very versatile bike, able to take 650b and 29"/700c rubber with capable ease.

If your riding is focused with more riding to the trailhead, railing the trail, then riding home on gravel, go for the Rawland. If your riding is focused almost entirely on trail riding, stay with the KM.
you might've just sold me on a rawland instead of the KM I was thinking of! :thumbsup:
Actually I was checking their site and it's pretty specifically targetted at 650B's... was wondering how well it'd cope with chunky 29er tires? :skep:
Anyone who has one/ridden one who can comment?
(none of them thar bikes up here doncha know)

·
Witty McWitterson
5,023 Posts
Had a Rawland in my shop [check the blog] mounted up with 29" wheels. On the old fork (a new 5mm taller one is coming), a 2.55 WTB wierwolf will fit. Barely. So a regular 2.1/2.2 tire should fit no problem. Rear clearance is no issue. For more pictures of the Rawlands, go to the Milltown cycles blog too. He's built quite a few. He just sent one off to DirtRag for a review. They sent two wheel sets, One with 650b 2.3 tires and one with 700x45's.

·
Ovaries on the Outside
4,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Rawland's steal on their site prompted all of this. I usually bike six or seven miles to get to trails, and the KM had done that well. I've even taken it on loaded road tours. I'll probably hold onto the KM for another year and then reassess. I really want that Rawland at some point....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.