Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Buying a sub $600 bike. I biked growing up and spent a few years biking the Cali high desert and Okinawa.....yeah, I was a Marine. I've been out of it for a few years though and I am going through a divorce right now, so money is TIGHT! I MEAN TIGHT!

I know that I love biking, so its not a question of whether or not I will enjoy the sport. I would LIKE to get a grand plus rig, but I would be saving until August to do that, and what I really want is to start RIDING again. Should I wait and buy THE bike suited to me, or buy a bike I can live with and start riding NOW..............and upgrade whenever I can get around to it. ??? :confused:

·
Registered
193 Posts
FoulMouthFool said:
Buying a sub $600 bike. I biked growing up and spent a few years biking the Cali high desert and Okinawa.....yeah, I was a Marine. I've been out of it for a few years though and I am going through a divorce right now, so money is TIGHT! I MEAN TIGHT!

I know that I love biking, so its not a question of whether or not I will enjoy the sport. I would LIKE to get a grand plus rig, but I would be saving until August to do that, and what I really want is to start RIDING again. Should I wait and buy THE bike suited to me, or buy a bike I can live with and start riding NOW..............and upgrade whenever I can get around to it. ??? :confused:
What bike are you looking at? I bought a bike that was $650 bike (fuji outland pro) and it has been great for me, although I just replace the fork with a RS Reba (suited my size and wheight better.) I too am in a situation where money was tight, but I wanted to start riding and getting back into shape. For me, I just needed a good bike with good parts that wouldn't break the bank. Sorry if my reply wasn't to talk you out of it....

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
$600 buys a good bike.

Look at the Hardrock Disc, or similar. Strong, decent frame with a Lifetine warranty, solid wheels, and cable discs.

Sorry, it is tough talking someone out of buying a bike, particularly when they do not have one.

I say go for it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
rdickens48 said:
What bike are you looking at? I bought a bike that was $650 bike (fuji outland pro) and it has been great for me, although I just replace the fork with a RS Reba (suited my size and wheight better.) I too am in a situation where money was tight, but I wanted to start riding and getting back into shape. For me, I just needed a good bike with good parts that wouldn't break the bank. Sorry if my reply wasn't to talk you out of it....
Really looking hard at the woodstock and any good ebay deals. Other considerations were Specialized, Iron Horse, Ibex...I do know I want a hard tail because I climb faster than I descend.

Wow, two replies and nobody wants to talk me out of it yet. Kind of surpirsed........but I guess the main thing is to get out and RIDE

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,290 Posts
FoulMouthFool said:
Really looking hard at the woodstock and any good ebay deals. Other considerations were Specialized, Iron Horse, Ibex...I do know I want a hard tail because I climb faster than I descend.

Wow, two replies and nobody wants to talk me out of it yet. Kind of surpirsed........but I guess the main thing is to get out and RIDE
Are you really expecting someone to say DON'T BUY A BIKE? well.... DONT! go on and buy two bikes! one now and the other in a year. j/k.

I think that buying one now is a lot better than waiting for don't know how long and then probably you wouldn't buy it because something comes up (sorry, but I have a friend that is like that).

Seriously, if you buy now, you would be riding now, and then you would know if you wanted a better bike or what you have is right. If you would have a bike that you're OK with now, then I would say save some money for a while so you could get a better bike (specially if you would already had a dream bike).

Probably go for a bike with a nice frame even if it has lower components and then upgrade latter. If so, just put attention to the fork and wheelset, since they may be expensive to upgrade later.

·
Registered
193 Posts
FoulMouthFool said:

I think the woodstock bike looks like a great deal, I guess the only disadvantage to the woodstock and Ibex is that you can't ride it before you buy it.

·
Slave to the grind
519 Posts
hardrock's ummm rock!

i'm still using the one i bought way back in '98. last of the chromolys for about $425.

my stable has since increased with Two FS and a titanium HT.

guess which bike i still use the most :) of course now its a ridgid single speed but hey.. those specialized hardrocks are tough!

given materials and designs have changed but i still hear good things about 'em. i say go for it dude. get your butt on a bike and ride!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts