Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just left the LBS, they quoted me $1500 out the door for a 2010 17.5" specialized epic marathon frame set with a fox brain rear shock. Is this a good deal? I would say I do xc for the most part. I live in Vacaville CA, so I ride Pena adobe and Rockville alot... Is this a good frame choice for that type of terrain? I would be using all the parts from my rockhopper on it, 185mm bb7's, speed dial 7 levers, lock on grips, manitou minute fork, SPD 520 pedals, cheapie Alex rims.

All together it would probably be $1600 with labor, and cables etc.

Talk me out of it!!!! LoL

·
Registered
217 Posts
That is a really nice frame, but would you really want to limit it's true potential by using the parts you currently have? I say, look for complete bike, because the amount you will be spending on upgrades will certainly cost more in the long run. You can get a really nicely spec'ed dual suspension bike for another $500 or so, maybe even less if you shop around. Don't buy the frame...it's nice, but you won't be happy with the build. Keep those parts on the Rockhopper.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Endothermic Cavewalker said:
That is a really nice frame, but would you really want to limit it's true potential by using the parts you currently have? I say, look for complete bike, because the amount you will be spending on upgrades will certainly cost more in the long run. You can get a really nicely spec'ed dual suspension bike for another $500 or so, maybe even less if you shop around. Don't buy the frame...it's nice, but you won't be happy with the build. Keep those parts on the Rockhopper.
While that would be nice, and i can see the benefits of doing what you're suggesting. I can only afford to spend $1600 ish as i also need to pay off my credit card and cut that S**T up so i cant ever use it again....lol

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
max5480 said:
Just go buy a used frame couple years old much cheaper/ better/ less impact on credit card - plus more original finished product. Upgrade fork and wheels.
I wont be using a credit card to buy it, I just need money left over to pay it off... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
217 Posts
I hear ya there!! I cut up my credit card last year! I'll never get another one again!

As for what you're spending, ever thought of buying used? Some great bikes out there for sale.

kcvpr said:
While that would be nice, and i can see the benefits of doing what you're suggesting. I can only afford to spend $1600 ish as i also need to pay off my credit card and cut that S**T up so i cant ever use it again....lol

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Endothermic Cavewalker said:
I hear ya there!! I cut up my credit card last year! I'll never get another one again!

As for what you're spending, ever thought of buying used? Some great bikes out there for sale.
I have thought about it, but I have OCD.... So naturally I am extra anal about how things are taken care of, and not owning the bike and being able to know exactly how it was taken care of and ridden scares me a bit. Plus my goal is to go car-less-ish and get a job at the LBS( the mechanic there said i should put in an app and hes been there 30+ years) so buying it from them wont hurt hahah.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.