Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
More Chasmism
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I've been all over the map trying to settle on a replacement frame for my '03 Chaparral, which has finally cracked. The shop to which I am loyal retails Devinci, Titus, Trek/Fisher, RM, Kona, Intense and a few others. My needs are simple:

(1) Basic 6 or 7 in back, no single pivot, no VPP or clone (I like faux bar)
(2) Uninterrupted seat tube (the downfall of the new Chap is the pivot through the seat tube)
(3) HTA somewhere around 67.5-69 degrees
(4) Well balanced with my new Domain 318
(5) Quality build, one that will last at least a few years (I've broken two Bullits, a Chap, and a few hardtails, not doing big stuff but lots and lots of standard issue and underground Moab riding)
(6) XL sizing options, as I have a very long torso and prefer a very short stem, hence a more stretched bike (my Bullits and Chap were all XL) fits me best
(7) Bonus points for a bike built around a 7.875 / 2" stroke shock, as I have both a Romic and an RP3 that I could use as backup
(8) Preferably cheap

The Coiler is the only bike that meets all these needs, and I like the way it looks (provided I can get brown or gray or black or something).

So... any reason why I shouldn't go with the Coiler? No better place to ask than here.

hfly

·
Chris Bling
2,594 Posts
nope

as far as meeting all of your requirements, the coiler hits it on the head. i bought a coilair about a month ago and i couldnt be more happy. the only drawback is that it is just a little heavier than some of the other bikes. one reason is that kona uses straight guaged tubing rather than boring it out to make it ligher. so as far as strenght goes, the kona is unsurpassed. i would rather have something that is a little bit overbuilt over something that is underbuilt.

dusty

·
solid gold plated
878 Posts
i think you will probably get a very biased view from most of the coiler owners here lol, but what can i say, its a great bike and should meet every need you've listed.

are you looking to buy the bike complete or as a frame only option?

·
Brackish
1,855 Posts
I'm getting an '06 Coiler Deluxe next month, feels great in test rides and looks like it'll be the perfect AM fun bike. I was going to get a Transition Preston FR, but the $1000 I saved by getting the last-year's Coiler D I used to buy a $699 '06 Dirtbag and a set of Azonic Outlaws and now I get to replace my Iron Horse Yakuza with a dedicated freeride machine and I get to have an all-around trail bike with a front derailleur. Mmm, nice to get the cake and eat it too!

·
solid gold plated
878 Posts
i found it cheaper jus to build an all rounder, live with my pain and buy some cakes lol

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
hfly said:
So I've been all over the map trying to settle on a replacement frame for my '03 Chaparral, which has finally cracked. The shop to which I am loyal retails Devinci, Titus, Trek/Fisher, RM, Kona, Intense and a few others. My needs are simple:

(1) Basic 6 or 7 in back, no single pivot, no VPP or clone (I like faux bar)
(2) Uninterrupted seat tube (the downfall of the new Chap is the pivot through the seat tube)
(3) HTA somewhere around 67.5-69 degrees
(4) Well balanced with my new Domain 318
(5) Quality build, one that will last at least a few years (I've broken two Bullits, a Chap, and a few hardtails, not doing big stuff but lots and lots of standard issue and underground Moab riding)
(6) XL sizing options, as I have a very long torso and prefer a very short stem, hence a more stretched bike (my Bullits and Chap were all XL) fits me best
(7) Bonus points for a bike built around a 7.875 / 2" stroke shock, as I have both a Romic and an RP3 that I could use as backup
(8) Preferably cheap

The Coiler is the only bike that meets all these needs, and I like the way it looks (provided I can get brown or gray or black or something).

So... any reason why I shouldn't go with the Coiler? No better place to ask than here.

hfly
Ok, I'm a Kona fan.....they're more or less in my backyard and I have two sitting in my garage that I've literally beat the hell out of and they still run great. Besides that, they donate a lot of money to local projects (and other clubs), their advocacy director (how may companies have that?) is the president of a club up north (WHIMPS) and they're a super progressive club building wicked trails. What I'm saying is I support Kona when I can.

I think the Coiler is a great bike. I've got a buddy that has an '05 primo and he loves it. It really rides nice. His, with a nice build, is in the 33 lb. range which seems perfectly reasonable for trailriding. He slaps a burly wheelset and fork on for riding the Shore and Whistler. Pretty darn versatile for one bike and it's gonna hold up to years of abuse. I've got a 2002 Stinky Primo that is still running strong despite some really botched landings and big tumbles on my part. As someone else said, Kona's might be somewhat overbuilt (likely becasue of where they're located), but they'll hold up for ya.

That said, I'm really interested in the new Devinci's.....the Hektik and the Frantik look really nice. I'd get the "canadian version" if you get one so you get the horst link. ;) My wife coaches women's camps and she's getting a Slayer SXC this spring through Rocky. I realize you don't like the uninterrupted seattubes, but those are really sweet bikes. Of course, the other option is the El Guapo, but that seems like it's going to be on the light end of things and then there's the 6.6, but you don't like the VPP design.

Cheers,
EBX

P.S. '07 coilers have a 7 7/8 x 2.25 shock on them now.

·
Freeride Pabstist Church
279 Posts
No reason to try and talk you out of it. I bought a 6.6 last year. I later bought a Coiler D-Lux with the intent on leaving it in Phoenix so I don't have to ship a bike twice a year. I liked the Coiler so much more that I shipped it back home, sold the 6.6 and bought another Coiler frame so I can now leave the first one in AZ.

In my opinion, no comparison. I think that VPP is seriously overrated.

Long live simple suspension.

pb

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.