Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thinking about putting 9 more gears out back...

mostly for large group rides where i cant get into a rhythm like i can when i ride alone or with other SS or fast riders.

am I crazy for wanting to put a 1x10 on my karate monkey on occassion?

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I've thought the same thing - I think with full length housing it should be pretty quick back and forth. But at the end of the day I don't want to mess with anything.

If you do it, do yourself a favor and get a second rear wheel.

·
Registered
4,565 Posts
With full length housing and a separate rear wheel, you can make the swap in less than 15 minutes. I'm a fan of versatility, so I say go for it. I run my Krampus 1x10 during the summer and fall and swap out the rear wheel to run fixed gear in the winter and early spring. I'd have no problem spending 15 minutes to swap it out if I wanted to run one thing or the other at any time.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Yes, N+1 if at all possible.
I had an extra wheelset and decided I wanted to use my Kona Unit to commute "on occasion", I bought smoother tires and switched them out a few times but that got old really quick. I had the means to just build a commuter specific bike and that's what I did. I would imagine having to change the rear wheel and the other parts needed to go 1x10 would get bothersome even quicker.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Get your friends to ride more hills and you will make up for it ;-) I know what you mean though - spinning out on fireroads kind of suck, but why not just ride a higher gear then?

Much easier to change a rear cog than putting a derailleur and not to mention cables on there. Smash a higher gear in the rear for when you go on fireroad/excursions and keep your normal gearing for singletrack?

Just a thought

·
On wuss patrol
5,159 Posts
I concur with n+1. That is if budget isn't a deal breaker.

I tried swapping ss for 1X and back for about a season and it got tiring even though it didn't take long for the switch. Often I found I would leave it geared when I really wanted an ss ride and vice versa.

G

·
thinking about putting 9 more gears out back...

mostly for large group rides where i cant get into a rhythm like i can when i ride alone or with other SS or fast riders.

am I crazy for wanting to put a 1x10 on my karate monkey on occassion?
Crazy, perhaps. People do crazier things with less justification all the time. I'd go with the spare wheel proposition as well, then if you decide to build a second bike dedicated to geared riding you'll have the der set-up and half your wheelset.

As a side note: Never ask anyone on this site to talk you out of more anything. Speaking from personal experience, they'll overwhemingly recommend you jump off any ledge. That's how we roll.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Why don't you maybe try and drop one tooth in the rear and see where that gets you. I have a friend that just changes out the cog depending on what type of terrain/ who he's riding with.

One tooth makes a world of difference (could be good or bad) but you may like it...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.