Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Background: I enjoy XC riding with 3-4 XC races a year and a 24-hour-type race once a year. That's probably b/c I live in WI, but I'm moving to WA (Vancouver/Portland). I also take a bike trip once a year to do more AM riding (Moab, etc.). Going to the pacific NW, I know there will be more opportunities to ride AM, but I'm not too familiar (anyone who can comment from WA and OR).

Dilemma: I'm in the market for a (one) new bike. As much as I do like XC/marathon races, the rides I remember the most are my AM stuff. So I've decided to look at some bikes that the market claims to crossover btw XC and trail (in order from more XC to more trail): Czar, Ripley, Mach 429... however... I WANT AN SB66c! IMO, sexiest bike out there. Plus, there are some issues with the above mentioned (czar: too expensive, ripley: looks weak, mach: too many decals). But I'm scared. I'm worried it corners me into so much of an AM beast that I wouldn't be able to race her XC/marathon.

QUESTION: Do I stick with what I'm comfortable with (XC)? Do I take a very expensive risk, change my riding style, and "have more fun"? Do I wait for yeti's 650b carbon? Does anyone race epic XC/marathons or short track XC with their sb66?

Tell me what to do...

·
Registered
161 Posts
Why not the SB95c if you're into XC and marathons?
I believe, from what I see here, it crosses over plenty between XC, trail and AM if you build it up a bit.
I love my 66A but to build a 66 to more light duty is not exactly getting all your money's worth. A 95 could be more suitable and they look identical

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I bought a 95 to replace my 66 after never having ridden a 9'er. I'm always amazed by how well it rides, how well it handles, and how fast it is.
I've never been tempted to go back, even if 66 prices drop even lower.
BTW, I'm 5'10" tall and ride tech trails, including long climbs, drops and jumps.
It's an amazing all round bike for any wheel size.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I considered the 95, but got sidetracked by other 9ers in that category that are supposed to be more efficient on climbs (ripley) and so forth. Also, someone told me it feels a lot like the RIP 9 which I demoed extensively and walked away feeling like it was a tank. (Tank in a too massive, too much bike, bad way)

·
Int'l Sales - PIVOT
778 Posts
I'm not sure the 66 is the perfect bike for the riding you describe, but I will say it's the most versatile bike I've ever ridden. The one thing I'd be a little hesitant about is that although it's a really great climber, you won't really appreciate it's bad-ass-ed-ness until you spend some time riding steep descents and fast, rough trails. If that sort of thing is in your future, definitely pull the trigger. If you think your riding might trend more towards standard XC stuff, you may feel like you have a little more bike than you need.

As someone above said, the 95C might be perfect for you, but there are tons of other great options by other brands as well.

Best of luck,
JP

·
Registered
754 Posts
One of my favorite bikes at Outerbike was the SB66C... even on the flatter mellow trails at Bar-M, it stood out as fast, nimble and fun. Really fun. I'd have no reservations against riding this as my sole bike, and almost bought one. It still remains one of the best bikes I've ridden.

Ultimately, I was eager to try 27.5, and didn't care much for the SB75 after riding the SB66C and a few other 27.5 rigs. Given what you're looking for, I'd certainly try to ride a SB66C if you can.

I'd also suggest taking a look at the SC 5010C and Turner Flux. I ended up building the new 27.5 Turner Flux with a slightly more 'trail' build, and she's a ripper both up and down.

But... (and not to thread jack here) if Yeti could inject a bit more SB66C magic into a 27.5 platform, I'd probably be heavily tempted to jump.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All good advice and a nod to JP for chiming in. I feel like its one of those situations where other bikes make more sense on paper (i.e. better match for riding style, ambitions, etc.), but my gut is saying go for the sb66, seek drops and steep nasty descents, and just hammer it. BTW, nearest yeti dealer is probably golden, CO so a demo is not feasible. And as much as I'd like to wait for yeti to carbonize a 27.5, I don't want to. To JPs comment: I definitely think a bike that is "one of the best" at one thing (descending) and one of the most versatile bikes, is intriguing. I worry that companies trying to claim that their bike does it all ends up making a bike that is ok at many things but great at nothing.

·
EDR
10,708 Posts
I won't try to talk you into it. Doesn't sound like a perfect match. Unless you plan to up your game.

Could you ride it everyday for generic Xc riding? Of course. But why? There are better tools in the shed for your described riding. Or should I say, more appropriate tools in the shed.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I haven't had my SB66c for very long, but like others have said, it really shines when it's pushed to go fast downhill. It truely is a beast downhill that climbs really well, but 6 inches of travel is quite a bit if you like long XC riding a lot. Can you do long XC rides with it? Of course you can. Would you want to race XC on it? No, not in my opinion, but it's great to race Enduro or Downhill on.

In a perfect world I would say have an AM 26er rig and a XC 29er rig...at least that's what I do and it works great for me.

Now for rides like the whole enchilada, monarch crest or any other longer ride with tons of downhill, no question i'll be on my SB66c for that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.