Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
I ride bikes
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WEB_Test_YETISB66SRAM_0351.jpg
This is pretty much the bike that I have always wanted. And now that it has been discontinued, the SB5 and SB6 have taken its place with their slightly larger wheels, I am second guessing it. The prices on SB66 full bikes are really low right now which makes me want one even more.

Me: intermediate skill rider with good cardio. 2nd "real year" of riding.
Terrain : Lots of places/variety to ride around here. I am finding more and more enjoyment riding the mountains, more difficult terrain, and going fast down hills. A DH bike would be overkill for all but a couple areas. I push my 140mm 26er to the limit at some of them.
On beginner trails/rides with wife, I normally ride my SS rigid. I will be keeping the SS, and keeping my Mount Vision.

I want a new bike(maybe just upgraditus) and I am not partial to any wheelsize.

·
Registered
63 Posts
If you really want it, and can afford it, I say go for it. SB66 was a monster of a bike, and it didn't get any worse when his bigger brothers arrived

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Yep, killer bike. You're not going to 'outgrow' its downhill capabilities anytime soon. Just because it isn't the 'latest and greatest' doesn't mean it isn't a great and very capable bike. The differences between the latest version and that are probably quite minute, to tell the truth.

I still ride my 'old' 2011 Enduro, a direct competitor with the SB66, and do anything I want on it. I know a couple people on SB66's as well, and they don't seem to have any plans to trade in soon.

Good luck!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Love my SB66c. Best bike I've ever ridden or owned. It's way faster than I am, that's for sure.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Certainly good bang-for-buck and even though it is "outdated" with the SB5/6 it would still be a very nice and capable bike. I seem to recall something about that funny pivot/link thing needing to be replaced every so often, so that is something worth considering too.

·
Professional Slacker
3,271 Posts
Why buy old tech? They also stopped using that suspension design, ever wonder why?

It might be on closeout for a reason, you know.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
I recently picked an SB66A frame and built it up with the parts I had on my 575, although I did update the drivetrain to 10 speed Saint/Zee.

This is the BEST bike I've ever ridden. Blows me away every time I ride it. Pedals uphill like a hardtail - even with the shock OPEN. It's truly amazing! And goes downhill like a miniDH bike. I have a Fox 36 160mm fork on mine. I'll upgrading to a coil rear very soon.

I say if you're not afraid to stick with 26"... GO FOR IT!!!

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I'd agree that it pedals amazingly well... way beyond my expectations. Overall great bike from my limited experience with modern FS bikes.

My only gripe (coming from an FSR) is that the rear isn't very supple at the top of the stroke. I've been told and read that it's a bike that needs to be ridden hard/suspension is firm (I'd consider my riding plenty aggressive) so possibly my expectations are too high. I'm only a couple months into ownership, still tinkering with different shocks and hoping it's just a matter of getting the right setup/tune... but it seems a bit finicky.

My .02

·
Registered
75 Posts
I bought my 66 on a close out right after they announced it was being discontinued. This bike is amazing, I've never looked back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
75 Posts
How you liking those Crossmax wheels and tires? Are they XL?
Love the wheels. They're the crossmax sx and they rip. The tires are both the crossmax front specific XL, and they are good, not great. I didn't care much for the rear specific roam in my area and switched it out almost immediately.. Honestly, for my area (S.W. Missouri) we have mostly loose natural occurring gravel over hard pack, I've had the best luck with a set of Swchalbe Hans Dampfs despite the fact they wear down so quick. I'll be switching back after these XLs have run they're course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
265 Posts
Go for it! The SB66 is an awesome bike I was going to get one until I found a deal on my SB75. I have ridden both and you won't regret it

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Why buy old tech? They also stopped using that suspension design, ever wonder why?

I guess you weren't aware that santa cruz sued yeti because switch is so similar to vpp.

Buy the 66 while you can. We've never had a situation like this where the nicest equipment is available at low prices because they industry changed the wheel size by 1". Take advantage of these times!

·
Registered
171 Posts
I bought a slightly used SB66A back in Dec. Liked it so much, that when I found out Competitive Cyclist was closing out the SB66C's. I sold the SB66A frame and got one of the remaining SB66C's. The SB66 is one sweet ride !!!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 45 Posts