Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,756 Posts
Gregg K said:
That has a definite element of punk to it, if I do say so.

I dearly wish I had been to those Angel Island gatherings. I heard Erik Norstad had a "bike" that he "raced" with that had logging mill saw blades for wheels. And weighed hundreds of pounds.
I think Mark Norstad's (Paragon Machine Works) "Big Bike" is now in the MTB Hall of Fame Museum. It was about 8 feet tall made of 4 inch OD, ¼ inch wall thick steel pipe and car parts including the wheels and steering wheel. It weighed about 400 lbs. It took a running start to ride it and you couldn't put your feet down so stopping required planning a landing next to a picnic table or leaning against a wall or such. Few ever were brave enough to ride it. Mark rode it at one Angel Island derby and needless to say it survived intact and literally crushed the most fierce attacks from all ridden and ghost ridden bikes.

Mark was also an avid rail-rider. Frequently riding the then active Marin railroads on a pedal powered rail car he fabricated.

·
It's the axle
1,766 Posts
Yes! I know about his rail car. It's such a shame I've missed out on this stuff. Especially since it's such a small world. I knew of Mark's dad before I knew about Mark.

But they guy who really filled me in on all of this is a guy named Jeff Boheim who was one of Gary Fisher's early bike mechanics.

Anyways, I was designing a rail bike when Jeff told me the story of Norstad's. I've heard it has a rack for a case of beer.

Here was my plan. I had a place up in Humboldt county. There's a great abandoned rail road that goes down the coast to the Marin area. But I moved before getting any further on it. Mine would have just been an attachment with a light weight wheel. But Mark's is supposedly a tandem kind of thing. I hear he hit some pretty good speeds with the thing. Unintentionally.

Thanks for filling in the gaps. It's like going back in time.

I better stop here. I want to blab away with the bike stories. Mountain biking to me is partly about adventure. It's hard to sustain that feeling. But maybe that's where the Mojo fills the gap.

·
Industry Loudmouth
964 Posts
To further derail this derailed thread, FWIW check out that Slackers show on the 10th if you're in that neck of the woods. Mr. Victor Ruggiero and crew are the quintessential NYC ska band. Seen 'em more times than I can count. Damned hot!

-ska todd

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,756 Posts
ska todd said:
To further derail this derailed thread, FWIW check out that Slackers show on the 10th if you're in that neck of the woods. Mr. Victor Ruggiero and crew are the quintessential NYC ska band. Seen 'em more times than I can count. Damned hot!

-ska todd
The Todd surfaces! Derailing is what bicycle derby is all about. I looked for you at Sea Otter and the IH boys mentioned you might be at the Mountain Cycle tent. But I never saw Mountain Cycle. (I am going blind and there were a lot of sparkly fascinations everywhere distracting me… What was I talking about?)

Isn't reggae music a derivative of ska or was it the other way around?

Who's in the North Bay and interested in going to see the Slackers? (what a great name!)

·
Industry Loudmouth
964 Posts
Yep, yep! I'm doing work with the Mountain Cycle guys now. Our booth was over by the pump track, directly behind Fox Shox.

Originally, reggae was derived from ska but the variety of ska you find today in the States is not really in the same vein. Similar in the roots though. The Slackers do keep a bit to the traditional side of it all. They tend to lace in some good story telling and oft now political commentary as well. It's not just straight up drinking or party or dance variety. Vic plays some good keys and has a great NYC accent and whit to his lyrical style.

Check em out if you have a chance. Be warned though that it might be a mixed crowd of youngins and older trads, punks, and maybe skins too.

-ska todd

21 - 26 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.