Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
LONG story short..

I'm not looking for FS. Used to work in a bikeshop for many years and we sold GF. Never owned one, always wanted to. Used to ride 20" intensely, but my interest is now in MB'ing.

For the price point, have I made a good decision with the Marlin Disk? I've been out of the loop for 10 years.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I ride non-disk and enjoy it so far, so I think so. One of the best for the $ IMHO If you were riding 20" you might like to jump, not sure Marlin will stand up to continuous large jumps but very capable XC rig.

·
The White Jeff W
5,712 Posts
I bought one in the spring and didn't care for it. Admittedly it is bit too big for me (dealer said I needed an XL) and the Dart 2 fork is crap. Also the super skinny seat stays concern me. Lotta flex in the rear. And 30+ lbs for an aluminum framed XC hardtail? :rolleyes: Ugh. A month after I bought it it was in the shop because of excessive slop in the rear hub. I rode it for two months and after getting thrown over the bars for the third or fourth time (fork spring too weak for my weight) I parked it and got a full suspension bike. Couldn't be any happier.

It's fine for riding fire roads or rail trails but I wouldn't expect it to last in the gnar without upgrading some parts.

While we're on the subject, hey Gary Fisher dealers. If you're gonna sell a coil sprung bike make sure it has the correct spring for the riders weight. :madman:

·
Registered
157 Posts
jeffw-13 said:
I bought one in the spring and didn't care for it. Admittedly it is bit too big for me (dealer said I needed an XL) and the Dart 2 fork is crap. Also the super skinny seat stays concern me. Lotta flex in the rear. And 30+ lbs for an aluminum framed XC hardtail? :rolleyes: Ugh. A month after I bought it it was in the shop because of excessive slop in the rear hub. I rode it for two months and after getting thrown over the bars for the third or fourth time (fork spring too weak for my weight) I parked it and got a full suspension bike. Couldn't be any happier.

It's fine for riding fire roads or rail trails but I wouldn't expect it to last in the gnar without upgrading some parts.

While we're on the subject, hey Gary Fisher dealers. If you're gonna sell a coil sprung bike make sure it has the correct spring for the riders weight. :madman:
No dealer should be responsible for selling a bike STOCK with the correct spring weight for the buyer. That is your responsibility to upgrade... :nono: :madman:

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
jeffw-13 said:

It's fine for riding fire roads or rail trails but I wouldn't expect it to last in the gnar without upgrading some parts.:
The problem isn't really the bike, its that you bought a $700 bike expecting it to somehow have all the qualities of a $1000 bike.
For instance, every bike in that price range weighs 30lbs or more.
The same frame is used all the way up the line for GF 26" hardtails and is known for being pretty good.
The slop in the rear hub was probably from bearing preload; in which case it happens, Shimano designed it to be adjustable, and you can easily to learn to adjust it yourself at home.
The spring stiffness is always up to the user to replace if needed. The fact that the stock spring wasn't right for you doesn't make the bike bad.

For the price range it is a good bike, which is what the OP needs to know

·
Registered
43 Posts
I love 'the look' of the Marlin, soo much so-I named my 'screen name' after it--LOL
The bike is SOLID, the G2 Geometry is the BEST feel on any bike I have ridden. However, I am actually thinking about going with the 'Piranha'(for my 26'' bike, the 29'' Mamba is for Spring 09'--BUT I cannot wait that long to ride!!)--- because of the 'fork' and the 'brakes'--Plus, I am getting an 09' Piranha for 'less than' what the GF website list for the MarlinDisc.... ALSO, I have found that as a Clydesdale myself(I always thought to upgrade the spring)-but have become aware that as long as you do not go with the Suntour Fork(on the Wahoo), it really makes NO DIFFERENCE at all to change it(Or so I have been told..).. The Dart2 is not very good to begin with(but with a $700 bike that is expected).. I was told it would also 'void' the warranty to add a new spring(or so I have been told)///.. That is why I am leaning toward a 'Piranha', because the 'Tora SL' is soo much better, and the Shimano hydralics are like getting 'Juicy 5's'....

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
jeffw-13 said:

Hmm. Some of the oweness is on yourself there as you said.

From what I've read on here, the expectations of some of the forum members is super high. If $800 isn't enough to get much more then a pile of crap, somethings wrong with this sport or the participants. I know some pretty hardcore riders that put serious miles on department store bikes. They don't have the money but it doesn't stop them. You see a lot working at a bikeshop for years.

I wanted a hardtail. Its definately meeting my needs. I replaced the seat, and might play with a different stem soon.

I don't bottom out the Dart2, it feels pretty good to me. Im sure its not the best. Suspension is a luxury 20" riders were never afforded. This bike is much more comfortable then my last one-

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I have been happy with Dart2. Don't know why the Dart (all 3 of them) sem to ge a bad rap. Seems to me everyone is comparing to higher end ofrks that cost then say a Complete Marlin or Trek 8300 does to begin with.

BlueBoost congrats on your purchase and glad to see you are happy with it.

·
Tossin the salad.
737 Posts
I had a Marlin non-disc and it was a good entry bike. I had some great POPS grabbing some air w/o worries landing. The Genesis geometry was very center to where climbing is centered w/ both wheels apply and not really needed to lean forward when climbing and worry about the front wheel to pop up.

overall I am happy I owned the Marlin and kind wish I never sold it to get a FS replacement. I would of been a great kicker bike to toot around on the DJs. Of course I do-not mean to say I regret getting FS, FS is the shiz. If you got the xtra $$$ go FS, no regrets here. ;)

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
congrats, blueboost! it's a good bike- it's nice to know GF using the same frame for some entry level bikes as they do their higher end ones.

people do seem to always talk bad about the dart series forks- they are entry level and shouldn't be compared to rebas or various fox.

it's nice to know you have a solid frame with decent components that can be upgraded if needed down the road.

enjoy!

time to post some pics of your new bike, too- for all of us to enjoy!
ez

·
Registered
17 Posts
Blueboost,
I'm right there with you man! I bought an 08' Marlin to save some dough and I'm verry happy with the purchase. It's my first Mt. bike; I didn't wanna break the bank on a brand new sport! After awhile though, I really got into it and upgraded my bike to disc brakes. (I have the V-brake model) I think this bike is an excellent beginner bike for the $!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Dart2 sucks.. Great entry level..

:D 10 years ago when we sold Fishers this would be the HT window bike during the holidays!

Ignorance is bliss, I love it.

Pics as promised:

Actual macro from my top tube.. Love the reflections looking like whitecaps on the tide. So fitting for the make of the bike. Toyed with the brightness and contrast... Nice black desktop backround.

NOS. Harry.. One of the small ones. By tomorrow night.

My rides...

All the Leaves are Brown

Disco

·
Registered
168 Posts
I got a 2008 Marlin disc a couple months ago and have loved every second I've been on it. For me it's perfect. I do a lot of single track and small tech stuff, but nothing to extreme, and it performs just fine. For perspective I'm new to the sport, so maybe my expectations are lower than others, but for me it's been a great bike. BTW, the clincher for me buying this was that it was a leftover 2008 that was actually in my size. I was pretty set to buy the 2009 model when I came across this one and thus saved $200. I also like the 2008 paint job better too, not as busy, much more simple, which is more my style.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.