Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I raced open men 35-39, last year I won the 35-39 sport class.

There was no doubt I was extremely nervous going into this race. I could barely sleep the night before. I woke up early. The night before I obsessively went over my bike, I made sure every single bolt was tight, I cleaned my drive train, everything…my bike was perfect.

Onto the race..The race lead off the 4th of july parade in Breck. Anyway, the main group started going up the long road ascent out of the town….first a very reasonable pace, then some guy decides to go full gas and turn it into a time trial. At one point I'm looking over at the guy that I think ended up in 4th or 5th and said "are you kidding me?" referring to the pace the guy was laying down. He responded "don't worry there is no way he will be able to hold it." I knew that but I won't deny I was suffering trying to keep with his pace even in the draft.

At this is about 45 minutes into the 1st lap things started breaking apart (finally!) on the first technical climb after the road, I was trying my best to figure out who was in my class and who wasn't but there were a lot of other classes with our group at this point (we all had a number on our calf that corresponded to our class). The best I could tell I was in 4th - 6th spot. I knew I would be a very strong rider in the 2nd lap so I wasn't worried about my exact positioning as long as I was near the front and I was. Then I go off course at one point and luckily a single speeder with a broken chain redirected me very quickly…I probably only lost a few seconds. I think I went off course cause I was just so spent from doing a short XC race pace at 10,000 feet. After I got back on course I quickly caught up to two guys (from another class) that passed me during my short detour. Luckily I befriended one of them…he was a faster climber but I was a much faster descender. More on this later.

The rest of lap one was uneventful except for the most technical descent of the course. I BOMBED down it…when you are doing that fast down this section you honestly can't see, I mean you can but you can't focus on anything any smaller than a softball…I hear *PAAAAAAAAAAAAAANG CREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK* the noises you hear when metal is absolutely stressed to the near breaking point, I knew I hit a rock and I hit it so hard that once I got back out the road I did a full assessment of my bike to make sure it was fully intact. Luckily it was I think the only thing that happened was I burped some air out of my rear tire, which was completely acceptable to me after hearing the noises my bike made, after the race I looked at my rear wheel and it is very much in need of being trued.

At the end of lap 1 I get to the start/finish line and see Nichole (my wife)…she hands me my bag of stuff that I needed for the 2nd lap and I ask her what spot I'm in…she say's 3rd….all was well…I started riding away and tried to push the bag to the back of my hip and the straps broke. I had no choice but to completely stop and grab all of my stuff, get back on and keep going. Just standing there for a few seconds my legs wanted to cramp. I was completely flustered but as I soldiered back up the huge climb out of town I gathered myself to refocus and think about my nutrition strategy for the rest of the race. I was really thirsty so I started chugging a ton of water. I completely went through my plain water bottle before I even got to the 1st aid station. At aid station1 (2nd lap) I grabbed a bottle and a gel, At this point my legs were fried from going out so hard during the first lap but I was confident that my training would allow me to soldier on as long as I properly executed my nutrition. I trained to be an endurance rider, this is what I do, right? I start pounding my fluids and gels at a much faster rate than I did on my 1st lap to keep my legs from cramping. I passed a couple guys in my class, so I'm like wtf I passed 2 guys am I in 1st or what? A little bit later I see yet ANOTHER guy in my class but I had to recover so I started to use my head to race and not my legs (sound advice from a guy on the side of the race cheering us on). I stick to this guys wheel on this climb and I mean like 6" from his rear tire until I saw the crest of the climb then I gave a huge effort to pass him. I was faster than him on the descent and dropped him faster than I expected.. At the bottom of the descent there was some single track and I caught back up to that guy I befriended earlier. He let me go ahead of him on the single track as he knew I was faster than him….but this also meant he put himself between me and what I later found out was 3rd place, this was huge because there was nowhere to pass for almost a mile without trying to take a HUGE risk. 3rd place didn't take any risks and by the time he popped out of single track I was a few hundred feet ahead of him.

More aid stations, more water, more cramps but none I didn't push through……I'm POUNDING water and gels at this point to try to stop the cramps and they are starting to subside, my legs are hurting in ways I can't even begin to describe, then we come upon the BIG climb of the course. I push myself through it and ride the whole thing, 3rd walked part of it and even though he almost caught back up to me before the start of the climb he couldn't match my effort or my ability to ride such a technical climb. At this point I'm starting to think there is a possibility I was in 1st, so I rode really fast but wanted to be conservative. Then I get to that crazy descent and I see yet another guy with my number on his leg! I'm like he HAS to be in 1st! The crazy thing is he let me go ahead of him on the descent….mainly cause he didn't think I was in his class, but once I passed him he saw my #3 on my leg and through it DOWN on the next and final significant climb of the course. He gapped me by 100-150 feet in ½ mile or so I had nothing left to match that effort but knew there was still 3-4 miles of singletrack and road to go so I pushed as hard as I could through it all, I never saw him the rest of the course until we zig zagged down the tight switch backs going to the start/finish line. At that point I knew I couldn't get 1st….I was demoralized but still pushed as hard as I could to close the gap.

I crossed the finish line and belted out a very deep but soft "F*********CK!" I missed the win by 12.2 seconds. I placed 33rd overall and would have come in 20th in the Pro field. My time was over 30 minutes faster than last year and I was able to walk afterward this time LOL! :) My time was 4:17 and change

After the race, I had to go back to the condo and compose myself….going from a sport rider to a Cat1/Expert AND still being at the front of the pack in one year is a monumental achievement but I really wanted the win. I'm very proud of what I did and who knows if I Had more experience maybe I would have won, no one will know. My season is really just starting, I'm excited for the rest of it. Will if you are reading this, again, nice work.

Stats for the race: Average HR 166 (LT is 171-172)
Calories Consumed: 1600
Estimated Calories Burned: 5800-6000

If there is enough interest in my training/power data I'll write up another post outlining what I've done but basically my aerobic power to weight ratio is up 30% since last summer.

HR and Elevation Data:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Great write up. I did that race also on my SS and it totally kicked my butt. I am used to finishing at least in the middle of the pack, but for this race I came in only 2 spots out from DFL.

I was totally spent on my second lap and it took 38 minutes longer than my first. I was in decent shape, but had mainly done sub 2 hour rides and had not trained for endurance, long climbs or altitude. I would not do it again unless I trained better for that long of a ride. I don't mind suffering, but going really slow and suffering (and getting passed by a ton of people) ain't much fun. Even with better training I can't imagine getting that course done in 4:17- well done.

·
Has skills-will travel
372 Posts
Great write up! It is hard to read the graph, but almost looks like your lap times where about the same?

Would love to know how you trained since I will be doing my first long distance race at the end of August.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mooddude said:
Great write up! It is hard to read the graph, but almost looks like your lap times where about the same?

Would love to know how you trained since I will be doing my first long distance race at the end of August.
The official times were different then my lap times, by my watch it was 3 minutes off on lap 2

I'll write up some basics in my training soon but u can always pm me

·
Registered
338 Posts
Awesome ride! Thanks for the report... I can't read your graph since the numbers are so tiny, but am curious to know the total elevation gain and total distance traveled.

·
Has skills-will travel
372 Posts
fsrftc said:
The official times were different then my lap times, by my watch it was 3 minutes off on lap 2
3 min is all - that was probably just talking to the wife and the bag breaking! Well done with your pacing!!

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
jd1072 said:
Awesome ride! Thanks for the report... I can't read your graph since the numbers are so tiny, but am curious to know the total elevation gain and total distance traveled.
Thanks!

My Polar S725 said 6463' gain, course is touted as 10,800 feet gain over 50 miles

here is my Training Peaks upload, I lost my speedo about 10 miles from the finish so its only showing 40 miles total.

https://tpks.ws/XuU7

this is the promoter's profile:https://www.mavsports.com/oldsite/F50elevProfile.JPG

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Executive summary Please?
I don't have exact workouts to do 100% comparisons with but sifting through my data from last year to find a ride with a nice smooth HR curve I come up with this:
last year 8-9-09 192 pounds - 266 watts: 3.05 w/kg at 157 HR average

this year 6-13-10 178 pounds - 320 watts: 3.95 w/kg at 149 HR average

by my calculations its a 29.5% increase in power to weight with a 7-8 beat lower HR average. However my weight has gone up slightly since early June but so has my power and I haven't done any comparitive workouts.

My basic training regime is 12-17 hours a week on the bike, 2-3 "real" workout days a week, the rest is commuting and or a fun ride. 1 long ride every weekend, did primary base training for almost 5 months, then ramped up Z3 work for a cycle followed by a very intense interval cycle. I did some single speed work for torque as well.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
mooddude said:

long distance races require long distance training. At a minimum you need to teach your body to run off of its fat stores and this doesn't happen until you get close to depleting your glycogen stores - this is why long rides are paramount for base training (among other reasons). You are essentially forcing your body into ketosis. I spent nearly 4 months this past winter doing the infamous long "zone 2" rides - it was mind numbingly painful to do a long ride every weekend between 4-6 hours even in 25 degree weather. I don't know what good advice I could give for you in such a short amount of time, but I would suggest doing rides almost every weekend as close in time/distance as you can to your race. This will give you the time to make mistakes and sort out what you need to dial in your nutrition long before you actually race. Nutrition is absolutely critical IMO, I preach it to everyone I talk to about training.

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
You suffered, I played the banjo. Sounds like a good deal to me. ;)

The last few years I've been skiing on the 4th and I haven't watched or or raced and something that surprised me a little was how many people in the top categories pushed even the easier parts of Little French. I'd say about half the pro men pushed a lot more of it than I would have expected.

The couple times I've done the race I was middle of the pack open men and most of the guys around me rode the whole thing except the crux at the very top and even then a few guys near me cleaned it. Maybe it was because the first lap in the middle of the field/scrum is such a cluster and so many people are push that you can only go so hard and you have a bit left over by the time the second lap starts.

Anyway, good job! That's a tough field to do well in. :thumbsup:

·
Has skills-will travel
372 Posts
fsrftc said:
long distance races require long distance training. At a minimum you need to teach your body to run off of its fat stores and this doesn't happen until you get close to depleting your glycogen stores - this is why long rides are paramount for base training (among other reasons). You are essentially forcing your body into ketosis. I spent nearly 4 months this past winter doing the infamous long "zone 2" rides - it was mind numbingly painful to do a long ride every weekend between 4-6 hours even in 25 degree weather. I don't know what good advice I could give for you in such a short amount of time, but I would suggest doing rides almost every weekend as close in time/distance as you can to your race. This will give you the time to make mistakes and sort out what you need to dial in your nutrition long before you actually race. Nutrition is absolutely critical IMO, I preach it to everyone I talk to about training.
Thanks for the advise - and don't worry - I "train" in the winter also. Yet, I do 8 to 10 hours of Zone 2 about 3-4 days/wk during the fall/winter/spring (I back country ski 100 days during that time :thumbsup: ). Yet, the past two months I moved more a mix of intervals and long rides for my XC races. As my traditional XC race that I really want to do well is this weekend, I will change my training next week to follow you advise. Thanks!

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
mooddude said:
Thanks for the advise - and don't worry - I "train" in the winter also. Yet, I do 8 to 10 hours of Zone 2 about 3-4 days/wk during the fall/winter/spring (I back country ski 100 days during that time :thumbsup: ). Yet, the past two months I moved more a mix of intervals and long rides for my XC races. As my traditional XC race that I really want to do well is this weekend, I will change my training next week to follow you advise. Thanks!
ah well with such a good base I would reiterate my advice, and add some intense intervals at least 1 day a week, but make sure you can fully recover, it takes me 2-3 days to recover from my intense interval (V02 max and supra max power) work even though its only 4 - 8 minute intervals per workout. Also make sure you are comfortable on your mountain bike for the length of race you are doing, even riding 2-3 hours doesn't bring small fit issues to light.

Which race are you doing and keep us (and me!) posted.

·
Registered
544 Posts
fsrftc said:
then ramped up Z3 work for a cycle followed by a very intense interval cycle.
Cool, when did you ramp up Z3 (how many weeks prior to the event), and how long was the cycle.

Same with the intense interval cycle, how long prior to the event did you start the intensity, and how long dii the cycle last?

Lastly, what was the composition of the intensity cycle, don't need wattages, but as a % of FTP what were you shooting for in reps and durations?

Always interested to know how people transition from base and shoot for a peak.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
As I know you know..a typical cycle (block if you will) is 3 weeks on 1 recovery week. looking back at my ATP, it was a slow transition that started about 16 weeks before my event with two Z3 cycles that had 2-20 minute Z3 "fun" ride efforts a week, then slowly added some higher intensity mountain riding that went into 1 - 4 week cycle of legit Z4 work followed by 1 cycle of V02 max and supra max power followed by a near 2 week taper. All the while doing at least one 4-6 hour ride weekly unless I was racing.

my Z3 work was about 85-90% of my current FTP, the Z4 work...near 100% of FTP 2-3 10 minute intervals usually) and my V02 max is about 110-115% (2-3 8 minute ramps) of FTP and the supra max was about 130% of FTP doing 8 minutes of 30/30s. My coach game me a "secret" workout combo that gave me a 12% gain on my ramps in just 3 weeks.

I also trained my coach as much as he trained me, we have a great symbiotic relationship, I provide him constant feed back and am very in touch with my body. He also gives me a weekly call simply to ask "how do you feel?", its a very basic question but sometimes spawns 30 minutes on the phone, he will also adjust my training with a days notice depending on how life evolves, lets face it things come up, bad weather (no way am i riding 4 hours inside), etc.

·
Has skills-will travel
372 Posts
fsrftc said:
Which race are you doing and keep us (and me!) posted.
The Mt. Ogden 100k in the Open Men catagory. http://www.mtogden100k.com/

It will be my first long distance race and my goal is to learn a bunch from it, especially what you stated about nutrition and pacing. So that maybe next year I could do well on the Park City Point 2 Point.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts