• Fox Float conversion

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Push overhaul

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Push Float conversion

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Fox Talas warranty / convert to Float myself

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Back in my day we didn't have no stinking suspension and we rode rock gardens just fine!

Votes: 1 5.6%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all,

First of all, I'd like to thank everyone for posting up such great information, specifically on the Talas to Float conversion. Now that I've done my research on the conversion, I need some help deciding what route I should head. Excuse the post - I don't know how else to give the whole story without being wordy :)

A little background: I've been riding my 2010 Talas for just under a year now. It's been OK at Northstar, GREAT in my local hills, AWESOME at Demonstration in Santa Cruz, and FANTASTIC at Downieville. Until last week....

I rode it pretty hard in San Luis Obispo a few weeks ago and started blowing some oil out of the seals. Like I said, I've been riding this thing about a year and have not replaced the seals (I've only ever done bath oil a few times), so I knew it needed a bit of TLC. I dropped the lowers off, drained the oil, refilled, and went riding. GREAT, the fork is back to new, working well, feeling good, until about halfway down my first descent, at which point I lost ALL damping in the fork. It was almost as though the fork lost all of it's air - full compression under my bodyweight alone. I nursed it home and checked the air - all good. I drained the lowers and put 10wt back in (instead of the 7 I used before) - no change. I did it AGAIN, just to make sure I put the right amount in both legs (this time I had supervision...) - no change.

I finally took it into my local shop and they told me the Talas cartridge was blown. Given that I've had the fork under a year, and it's under warranty, I see that I've got 4 ways to going about fixing it:

1) Send it back to Fox, for warranty work.
2) Send it back to Fox and see if they'll swap out the Talas for Float internals.
3) Send it to Push and have them fix and tune the fork as they see fit.
4) Send it to Push and ask them to swap out the Talas for Float internals.
5) Send it to Fox for warranty work, then swap out the Talas for Float on my own time (once the fork is in a known good state)

You'll notice that I didn't put "6) Swap out the Talas for Float myself". The only reason I don't want to go down this path is because if there is something wrong with the damping cartridge, not the Talas, I want someone else to fix it.

So, here I am, raising the question to you fine people. Does the small bump compliance / progression of a Float conversion outweigh either a fully functioning Talas (the travel adjustment, by the way, of which has never been used) or a Push tuned Talas/Float? Would it be plain stupid to swap out a Talas for a Float, given that the Talas is still under warranty? I have no qualms with the way the fork feels when it works. I get full suspension when I need it, and to be frank, the fork consistently far outperforms my riding abilities.

Thanks for everyone's feedback!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
You'll notice that I didn't put "6) Swap out the Talas for Float myself". The only reason I don't want to go down this path is because if there is something wrong with the damping cartridge, not the Talas, I want someone else to fix it.
Did you test the damping cartridge by itself? Let out air and cycle the fork with it locked out, unlocked and rebound set to high and low to see if there is resistance?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the-one1 said:
Did you test the damping cartridge by itself? Let out air and cycle the fork with it locked out, unlocked and rebound set to high and low to see if there is resistance?
With the lowers off and the air out I cycled both the damper and the talas - everything seems to work as expected:

a) With rebound full slow the damper almost doesn't return. With rebound full fast, it returns (though, without the urgency that it does when the fork is properly working).

b) With air, the spring resists being pushed in and returns smoothly. Without air, the spring goes in (fairly) easily and doesn't return.

Unfortunately I never did this when the fork was "known good", so I don't really have much to compare to.

This thing is being sent in for service regardless of the state of any other component. It's mostly a matter of where I send it and if I ask them to fix it or change it.

·
Biking Like Crazy!
1,466 Posts
Get the "free"warranty service from Fox! This should make the fork last you another year or so and then
when it craps out again (and it will, ha ha) then send it to Push. :cool:

·
Biking Like Crazy!
1,466 Posts
Paroxysm said:
Thats just mean.... :p
You know I was just kidding..lol. ;)

But really, I had a warranty issue with my 09 Talas and sent it to Fox and it has never been better.

Make sure you change/dump the oil in the left side maybe every month or so until you get a feel for how much is being "used/lost".

It only has 15mm to begin with and it needs to be monitored!. :eek:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
blcman said:
You know I was just kidding..lol. ;)

But really, I had a warranty issue with my 09 Talas and sent it to Fox and it has never been better.

Make sure you change/dump the oil in the left side maybe every month or so until you get a feel for how much is being "used/lost".

It only has 15mm to begin with and it needs to be monitored!. :eek:
Good point. Now that I've done it a few times I'm getting pretty efficient at it. Now if I can only find that damn detent ball - did you see where it went off to? Little bugger...

·
Biking Like Crazy!
1,466 Posts
Paroxysm said:
Good point. Now that I've done it a few times I'm getting pretty efficient at it. Now if I can only find that damn detent ball - did you see where it went off to? Little bugger...
All the more reason to send it to Fox!!! :p

·
Registered
347 Posts
OP-- your dilemma is almost exactly the same as mine. I opted to take the PUSH route with the Factory Tuning option for my weight and riding style. It is expensive, but in my opinion, worth it. My motorcycle has tuned suspension and it is a HUGE improvement over stock as it is tuned for me rather than the "average" rider. If your TALAS cartridge needs an overhaul it is an extra $40 over the price of the Factory Tuning option. Additionally, I have read a lot of posts about poor service or lengthy service times from Fox where PUSH is a matter of days. I just sent mine into PUSH -- can hardly wait to get it back!

·
Biking Like Crazy!
1,466 Posts
It shouldn't take that long to get service from Fox at this time of year...mine didn't last year when I sent it in.

And it seemed like my fork worked better then new...maybe better seals etc..than original?

Again for me it's hard to beat FREE warranty service!!!!:thumbsup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.