Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just changed the oil on my Talas fork and noticed oil coming out of the top of the damper. I used a torque wrench and tightened it to 75lb like the manual said, but oil squirts out on the downstroke. Do I need to torque it a bit more or did I overtorque it? I was trying to be careful but beam type torque wrenches are not all that accurate. Could use some advice. Thanks.

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
Trailhappy said:
I just changed the oil on my Talas fork and noticed oil coming out of the top of the damper.
"out of the top" Where exactly was the oil? Around the top cap or around the rebound adjuster? Either way, more torque probably won't help. It's more likely a seal problem.

·
Registered
710 Posts
TALAS seems like a major PITA.

Why the heck don't they just go to a simple system like Uturn? A coil with a screw. Just as linear and adjustable, but 1 million times more reliable and longer lasting.

I swear, Fox makes nice stuff, but it seems like they go out fo their way to make stuff NON user servicable. I can break down my Pike fork in 20 minutes and replace every seal by hand for $2 wirth of O rings.

I hate to say it, but Rockshox now has everyone beat on user servicability and general reliability.

Fox forx go for a good resale value (high amounts) on ebay. Get er fixed and sell for something more reliable if this experience has put a bad taste in your mouth. If you don't care about having to service your fork by sending it in, then by all means keep riding it, they are nice riding forks.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did the service. And everything else went smoothly. Seals seated properly and oil has been changed. But the damper rod is leaking around the vent area where you stick the 12mm cone wrench to hold it when torquing it. I know Fox recommends 75 lbs of torque, otherwise you mess up the shims. And I did this. It's such as simple thing that I'm not sure what happened. Basically, you crank the thing a turn to allow the damper to vent and drain.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.