Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just tried to do a seal sevrvice on my Talas forks.

Tried to follow the instructions, but they were a bit vague when it came to doing the Talas side (Ok maybe I didn't read them thoroughly enough).

So anyway, I tried to remove the topcap from the Talas side, after having released the pressure as usual from the valve at the top, but got a big release of high pressure air when I pulled the cap out.

Realising that this was probably a mistake, I refitted the top cap, after checking that the O-ring that blew to release this pressure, was back in place. It was about an inch below the top O-ring.

I completed the rest of the seal service, and got the forks back together. They seem to feel ok, but I wanted to check if there are any Talas experts here. Did I release air from the normal air chamber, or have I released it from the Talas cartridge?

So do I need to get the special tool for charging the Talas cartridge, or are my foks good to go?

Thanks in advance.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
219 Posts
Which version TALAS fork is it? It sounds likely that you released the IFP chamber pressure on unscrewing the topcap. You should bare in mind there are 2 pressurised chambers to deal with here, not just the main air spring pressure.

I'm guessing you'll be needing to repressurise the IFP chamber now with either a proper IFP tool from Fox, or a common ball needle valve. The fork should work fine with the chamber deflated but it'll feel a lot more progressive in its travel (you'll use more of the fork's travel for a given hit ~ the midstroke will be a lot softer).

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its a Talas II, 2009

Yeah, from looking at the fox video, I think I released pressure from the Talas chamber, so will need the IFP tool.

I was surprised that that travel adjust did actually work after reassembling it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.