Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike is ready to ship, but the factory is out of Talas forks. Since I want the adjustable travel, they recommend the Pike, unless I want to wait a couple of weeks for the Talas.

Does anyone have words of wisdom, or better yet, experience with these two forks on the Blur LT? It looks like the Pike would add at least a half pound to the overall weight, but it's supposed to be very stiff.

Thanks in advance for anything you can share.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I have the talas rlc on mine and it is a very good match and a very good fork also. I much prefer the three position travel adjust compared to winding, its very quick and i use it a lot.

I wouldnt swap my BLT/ Talas RLC for any trail bike/fork:thumbsup:

·
Surly OG
977 Posts
I'd go with the 454 U-turn Pike. The added stiffness of the TA would serve the BLT well- I have an 05 RLC talas and unless the climb is more than 3miles I tend to leave the travel at max 130mm. The TALAS in 3-step is gee gaw and albeit nice, doesn't deter from the fact that for me that the 32 forks are flexy at the limits of their travel. I have encountered several instances of flex at the most inopportune times. i.e. 25mph g-outs in rocky, death fall exposed terrain. (ala D'ville and Porc) not to mention in the CCCX DH series. Before the Super D season starts I'll be sporting the RS Pike 454 U-turn with the TA.

The 07 fox while reputed to be stiffer - is only marginally ~ 7-10% more so than the 05 Talas. They should have re-tooled the casting for a TA. With their volume and ROI imho it would have been the smart forward looking business move, rather than trying to squeeze every last bit from old stuff. The Lowers are Taiwan mfg I believe and Taiwan has the tooling quick turn ability to have done so. Its been there for years for the electronic industry and the Big G and Big S, business is business.

I was emailing Fox 2yrs ago for a lightweight (ala 32) TA fork....

Their loss and continuing loss of share for not staying off the front...

Sno Mo saved Fox, the Alps broke them into MTB and the Forx put them in front for a while, they, imho sat back and coasted when they should have kept the momentum they had and broke away. Their Machine Shop is state of the art, their production methods are industry leading (My first Machinist job out of the NTMA was at the Fox Factory in SJ) it's a little sad they lost vision imho.

Long story short - Go with the Pike, I am.... :thumbsup:

woo hoo my 200th post!!!!

·
Registered
712 Posts
One thing to remember when considering these two forks is their weight, the talas is 4Ib and the coil pike is 5.5 (the same as a 36 van). It is bound to be stiffer, just depends whether you need it or not. For trail riding without big drops the talas is plenty stiff enough for me and it keeps the weight of the bike down.

·
Jus' Ridin' Along
269 Posts
Isn't that 4x slacker than the BLT to begin with?
And do you miss the 1.3" of rear travel?
Also, what's the weight diff on the frames?

Grazi...

·
nerfherder
1,674 Posts
BobL said:
Isn't that 4x slacker than the BLT to begin with?
Yeah, it's slacker. So at 140mm (TALAS 32) it's pretty raked out. But I feel like having travel adjust is more useful on the 4X because I can crank it down for climbing otherwise the front end wanders. I never felt like I needed a travel adjust on my BLT.

BobL said:
And do you miss the 1.3" of rear travel?
Yeah, sometimes. It's noticeable. I would love a 4X/BLT cross breed. BLT travel, 4X geo. That said, it's nice to have a bike that's really quite efficient and yet is designed to be ridden aggressively. I certainly don't push it to it's limits but it's a fun bike for sure.

BobL said:
Also, what's the weight diff on the frames?
Not much. According to a UK dealer, the 4X is .05 lbs heavier (6.4 vs 6.35).

·
Five is right out
3,176 Posts
How does travel adjust on the Pike work? If it's the twisty dial like on my new Revelation then it's a real pain to use (I've got to crank it 20-30 times to change the full range) so I don't use it much.

·
nerfherder
1,674 Posts
womble said:
How does travel adjust on the Pike work? If it's the twisty dial like on my new Revelation then it's a real pain to use (I've got to crank it 20-30 times to change the full range) so I don't use it much.
U-Turn, so it's the same. It has a nice little flip up doohickey to turn with but yeah, the 3 step TALAS II is so much easier to use.

·
Five is right out
3,176 Posts
If it's the flip-up doohickey, consider the travel-adjust to be a once-per-ride kind of affair. I set travel at max for downhill days, and at min for XC. I certainly don't fiddle with it partway through a ride (though I use the instant lockout frequently)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the feedback!

Hey guys, thanks for all your comments. After much research, meditation and contemplation, I flipped a coin and it came up TALAS. The three-position travel adjust is the most on-the-fly friendly, and though perhaps not as stiff as the Pike, still a pretty rigid fork (and a half a pound lighter). I've also heard a lot about the quality and reliability of Fox, so it seems like a pretty solid decision to go that route.

Now I'm trying to find the best ways to shed some weight from the XO AM package. The website says 28 lbs., but that's "marketing weight" and without pedals. Anyone out there using the DT 4.2 cross country rims? I'm considering a switch to those from the 5.1's (all mountain) that come with the kit. Not sure how much durability would be sacrificed for 200grams of weight shaved.

·
SS Pusher Man
7,623 Posts
antidentite said:
Hey guys, thanks for all your comments. After much research, meditation and contemplation, I flipped a coin and it came up TALAS. The three-position travel adjust is the most on-the-fly friendly, and though perhaps not as stiff as the Pike, still a pretty rigid fork (and a half a pound lighter). I've also heard a lot about the quality and reliability of Fox, so it seems like a pretty solid decision to go that route.

Now I'm trying to find the best ways to shed some weight from the XO AM package. The website says 28 lbs., but that's "marketing weight" and without pedals. Anyone out there using the DT 4.2 cross country rims? I'm considering a switch to those from the 5.1's (all mountain) that come with the kit. Not sure how much durability would be sacrificed for 200grams of weight shaved.
The only real difference between the XC kits and the AM kits are:

Heavier rims
7 or 8" rotors compared to 6"
2.35 Kendas rather than 2.1'

So you are looking at about 1 lb weight difference in just these parts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
On my BLT, I've got the 4.1 rims on my Industry Nine wheels, and have not had any problems. I live in Mexico and ride in really rocky terrain, which typically would knock my Sun rims out of round within 3 or 4 rides. If you're looking to upgrade your wheelset in total, I have nothing but good things to say about the I9 setup. It's pricy (~$1100 w/ cassette and disc), but looks great (silver hubs, red ano spokes, black rims), is as light as anything else out there, and appears to be a lot more durable. I did not set them up as UST, though.

My 2006 Blur LT was built w/ the SPX XC kit, which is listed on the site at 26.86 lbs w/out pedals. I changed out the bars to carbon Monkey bars, changed the wheels to the I9 wheels (All-Mountain), added Slime-lite tubes, and PD-M540 pedals. The shop weighed the bike before I took it and it came in at 27.74 lbs w/ all the stuff listed above. Changing to Small Block Eight tires and putting in regular tubes would drop the weight over 1/2 lb. Unfortuantely I need the Slime in the tubes down here due to the cactus and mesquite bushes, but I will change to the SB8 tires when I wear out the Nevegal's that came on the bike.

Also, I love my 32 Talas RLC fork. A lot of the races down here are across several miles of flat ground (trails through the scrub, etc.) which then lead into the mountains, so being able to change the fork from 100 to 140 easily from the saddle is a huge plus for my situation.

Good luck w/ your decision.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.