Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, looking to purchase 2005 Blur with 5th Element and Fox Talas RLC fork. The SC website advises the 2004 model should NOT accompany a fork greater than 105mm travel. What are your views and experiences? If you do use same setup can you also decsirbe your style of riding? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
868 Posts
XC down under said:
Hi, looking to purchase 2005 Blur with 5th Element and Fox Talas RLC fork. The SC website advises the 2004 model should NOT accompany a fork greater than 105mm travel. What are your views and experiences? If you do use same setup can you also decsirbe your style of riding? Thanks in advance.
I'd seach around the forums since this topic has been discussed a lot.

The basic concensus is that a lot of people like the Blur with a 120-125mm fork on it (hence, one of the reasons why SC is making the Blur Long Travel). SC states that they will not uphold their side of the warranty if you use one over 105, even an adjustable one like a Talas.

Interesting thing is that the 05 Marzocchi line does not include a 105mm high end fork. There is the 80mm Marathon Race or the 105-120mm Marathon XC/SL.

I have ridden a Blur with a Marathon SL and like it set around 110-115mm of travel. Many people have gotten Talas forks and ride them around 105mm for general riding and crank them up for more DH stuff.

One other note, my Blur feels very linear in the rear. I did not like the way it felt with a 100mm Fox Float as the Float ramps up. I thought it was very unbalanced and would take the Talas if I were going to go with Fox (despite the warranty issue).

I have seen a few pictures of Blurs with crack/crumpled downtubes up near the headtube. I assume this is the "problem" with long travel forks that SC is trying to avoid. I don't know if I would be too worried about a slightly longer fork, but be aware of the warranty issues. I think part of the issue is that they are trying to discourage people from using them a free-ride bikes since the tubes are built for it.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I am 210lbs and run my Blur with a Talas at 115mm

and have had no problems. I am not really aggressive but will take the 2-3' drop onto flat once in a while....anyway, what good is the warranty...just use the crash replacement program from SC if something happens - $300 to replace the front triangle and $300 to replace the rear triangle....this applies to original owner only though....if you want to runner a bigger fork and do more aggressive riding, why not get the Blur Long Travel frame??

·
Registered
887 Posts
I run a TALAS on my '04 Blur and 9 times out of 10, I run it at 125mm of travel. I ride my bike hard and I'm not really concerned about my warranty being voided because as MCF pointed out, the crash replacement policy is good enough for me should I encounter any issues.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts