Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any difference between thoses forks, i know about the cosmetic, the additionnal 5mm travel and the compression damping that should be more effective. But what about the left leg.

I've a good deal on a 04RLC but i want to know if i'm missing something

tanks

·
Bodhisattva
10,848 Posts
ErrAzIb said:
Is there any difference between thoses forks, i know about the cosmetic, the additionnal 5mm travel and the compression damping that should be more effective. But what about the left leg.

tanks
What do you mean "what about the left leg?"
The left leg has the TALAS mechanism which still does what it's supposed to do, just with 5mm more travel. The brake tabs have also been beefed up so larger rotors are now acceptable.
The right leg is where the magic happens and damping is much improved. The seals are also a lot tighter & do a better job keeping crud out.
The '05 is a big improvement in every way over the '04.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Stanchions?

ErrAzIb said:

tanks
I believe that the stanchions were beefed up on the '05 by a few mm's.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
The Squeaky Wheel said:
What do you mean "what about the left leg?"
The left leg has the TALAS mechanism which still does what it's supposed to do, just with 5mm more travel. The brake tabs have also been beefed up so larger rotors are now acceptable.
The right leg is where the magic happens and damping is much improved. The seals are also a lot tighter & do a better job keeping crud out.
The '05 is a big improvement in every way over the '04.
Agree with Squeak....plus, the adjustable compression actually works now. You can easily tell the difference when adjusting it. Previously, the compression adjustment was all but worthless.

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
4,009 Posts
lamoile said:
I believe that the stanchions were beefed up on the '05 by a few mm's.
Not on the TALAS. The 36 (and the 40) which uses TALAS technology in a longer travel form has bigger stanchions, but the Float, Vanilla, (standard) TALAS and X forks all stick with 32mm stanchions for 05. The dropouts were beefed up, but not the stanchions

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
The disc brake tabs are moved moved out further to help solve the Fox / King / Magura brake tolerance proble.

The damping is vastly improved to help eliminate brake dive, feels more like a PUSHED fork than a '04 I compared it to this past weekend.

When you say the left leg, are you referring to the fact that the '05 TALAS is now rated for a lot larger disc brake rotors due to the beefed up drop-outs.

Go for the '05, it will ride a lot nicer.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Does the new TALAS work well for lighter riders? My 04' seemed to never achieve full travel-I sold it and got a Marz Marathon SL 120, which worked alot better for me. But, I am getting an adjustable travel bike, and need an adjustable travel fork-therefore I am fork shopping once again....

·
Registered
121 Posts
From the fox website

ErrAzIb said:

http://www.foxracingshox.com/FOX_LAB/FOX_05_Product.htm said:
> Our F80X/F100X Terralogic Forks received a new
bushing for increased durability and reduced friction.

> The FLOAT, FRLT and Vanilla™ families of forks all
have the new Slim Damper Cartridge for reduced weight
and even greater damping control.

> Improved low speed compression range on all RLC models.
Adjust your low speed compression so you can quickly tune
your Fork for any terrain and riding style by simply
turning the blue adjuster.

> New Aluminum damper and spring shafts save weight on
all models.

> New Seal Head Bushing reduces friction and increases
durability on All models.

> FLOAT, TALAS and Vanilla jump to 5 inches/130mm
of travel.

> TALAS has a new primary air seal for less friction.

> Modified Air Spring Curve on FLOAT, F Series, and
TALAS for improved bottoming resistance.

> 8" Rotor compatibility for All models.

> Refined oil and dust wiper seals on all models for less
maintenance and improved sliding performance.
I'm pretty certain the biggest improvement is the compression dampening. That can just buy a 05 dampener and drop it in (techs at Sea Otter confirmed that).

However the one thing I haven't heard much about is the "Modified Air Spring Curve"... Anyone?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.