Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to decide between a Talas R and Talas RLC for my new 5 Spot. My LBS tells me at my weight (165lbs) that the compression dampening on the RLC is not necessary or that useful. I don't really care about the lockout feature. Fox has the R in stock, but the RLC is about a two week backlog. Worth the wait? Is the compression dampening something I need? Any suggestions are appreciated.

·
a dad
2,928 Posts
i had a rlc for about 6 months on my 575 and never used the lockout or the compression adjustment, to be honest i rarely used the adjustment in travel as well...i like things simple and all those knobs just end up being a pain to me....the rebound i did use though...

·
Registered
258 Posts
I got the RLC, but that's because I knew I would want a lockout for hills and what not. I don't really use the compression dampening adjustment (I think I just open mine all the way... I weigh around 140 lbs), but what's cool about the lockout is the blowoff threshold adjuster at the bottom of the right fork leg. You can adjust it to a light setting so that the fork acts as if it has some type of platform valving when in "lock out" mode. It more or less works, except I believe you give up some of the buttery smooth plushness you'd normally get in non lock out mode.

·
Advanced Slacker
15,800 Posts
Jasonp said:
I am trying to decide between a Talas R and Talas RLC for my new 5 Spot. My LBS tells me at my weight (165lbs) that the compression dampening on the RLC is not necessary or that useful. I don't really care about the lockout feature. Fox has the R in stock, but the RLC is about a two week backlog. Worth the wait? Is the compression dampening something I need? Any suggestions are appreciated.
I don't know about the newer ones, but I had an `04 TALAS R and I never felt the need for a compression adjustment. It felt perfect. I had been told that it does not do much, but I don't know about the newer ones. I also found the TALAS to be a very efficient fork, and never felt the need for a lockout. It bobbed less than the `03 Z1FR I had before it, and the Pike I have now.

Kapusta

·
Banned
1,161 Posts
I have the RLC. Although I don't use the lockout much (even on pavement), I do fool around with the compression. The compression feature works much better on the 05 model than the 04, so I am told.

·
Amphibious Technologies
3,470 Posts
Jasonp said:
Buy the R and use th money you saved to get it PUSH'd. Here's the link:PUSH. The caveat is that you won't get the PUSH piston and platform damping with the PUSH'd R only on the RLC.

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
4,001 Posts
SCUBAPRO said:
Buy the R and use th money you saved to get it PUSH'd. Here's the link:PUSH. The caveat is that you won't get the PUSH piston and platform damping with the PUSH'd R only on the RLC.
This is the reason I ended up just going RLC...I thought about a Reba, but then decided to go Fox as my long term goal was certainly a PUSHed TALAS, so I wanted to be able to take full advantage of the PUSH functionality. It is a considerable jump from R to RLC, but I actually use the Lockout from time to time and the compression is nice to have to help dial out the brake dive.

Its a tough call.

·
carpe mañana
7,313 Posts
If you're getting an 04 Talas, just get the R, Compression adjustment is very minor. If you're going with the 05, go with the RLC. Sure, lockout is a joke on a 5" travel fork, but compression adjustment is great, because you can eliminate quite a large amount of brake dive when you crank it up and futhermore, adjust the feel of it to your liking. Very useful, I had 05 Vanilla RLC, and was quite impressed.

Now, as of a fork choice in general, any particular reason you went with the TALAS? I have a 5 Spot and found the Vanilla to be very flexy when ran at 130mm. Talas has the same construction. I weight 170lbs. At the same time I ride aggresively, so it had something to do with that, I don't know what your style is, but if you're more than just a XC rider with shaved legs then you ought to look into AM1 or 04 Z1. There is a weight penalty associated, but when you land that drop all wrong, you'll love the Marzocchi up front.

_MK

·
suspension whore
702 Posts
Now, as of a fork choice in general, any particular reason you went with the TALAS? I have a 5 Spot and found the Vanilla to be very flexy when ran at 130mm. Talas has the same construction. I weight 170lbs. At the same time I ride aggresively, so it had something to do with that, I don't know what your style is, but if you're more than just a XC rider with shaved legs then you ought to look into AM1 or 04 Z1. There is a weight penalty associated, but when you land that drop all wrong, you'll love the Marzocchi up front.

I second that emotion
I replaced a o3 talus RLC with an AM 1 and are much happier with the bikes decending and lack of brake dive. Small climbing penalty due to geometry and weight but well worth the exchange- unless you are racing XC which I doubt on a 5 spot

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
4,001 Posts
MK_ said:
If you're getting an 04 Talas, just get the R, Compression adjustment is very minor. If you're going with the 05, go with the RLC. Sure, lockout is a joke on a 5" travel fork, but compression adjustment is great, because you can eliminate quite a large amount of brake dive when you crank it up and futhermore, adjust the feel of it to your liking. Very useful, I had 05 Vanilla RLC, and was quite impressed.

_MK
I doubt the shaved legs XC racers will be doing drops, and I doubt the AM1 or TALAS is the fork of choice for that crowd.

I weight 195 and I don't feel my TALAS flexing at all, maybe I'm not going fast enough....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.