Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gonna get my new Heckler a new fork. I sometimes do some long fire road climbing to get to the trail head, so being able to reduce the travel is nearly a must-have. Don't want to change to 20mm thru-axle, so Pike and 36 is out.

Comparing the 2006 Fox Talas RLC with a 2006 RS Revelation.

Both fork are nearly the same, adjustments for rebound, compression, lockout and blow-off. Just which system is better for reducing travel rides?

I heard that Talas reduces travel linearly while U-turn just compress the fork. Is that true? Which one is better?

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
U-Turn is way better. And I am really surprised you're running such a wimpy fork on a Heckler. I would go with a PIKE.

At any rate, Talas is an extremely linear fork, it never ramps up, which is only good if you do strict XC stuff, never drop. U-Turn Air ramps up really nice in the bottom end of the strok which resists bottoming much better than Talas. Revelation and PIKEs have better damping than stock Foxes.

_MK

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
MK_ said:
U-Turn is way better. And I am really surprised you're running such a wimpy fork on a Heckler. I would go with a PIKE.

At any rate, Talas is an extremely linear fork, it never ramps up, which is only good if you do strict XC stuff, never drop. U-Turn Air ramps up really nice in the bottom end of the strok which resists bottoming much better than Talas. Revelation and PIKEs have better damping than stock Foxes.

_MK
Plus the TALAS needs to be serviced. Uturn does not.

If your Uturn breaks, it only cost $30 for a new unit.

Uturn springs raise the spring rate slightly when lowered, in order to resist bottoming.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
beanbag said:
Why, did you break a U-Turn?
No, I don't think realy anyone on this Forum has broken one. I could fill up all of my body digits with the number of complaints about the TALAS.

I know it's $30 because the replacement springs they sell for heavy riders is pretty much the Uturn unit with a spring. Uturn isn't user servicable in that you can't remove it from the spring, but it's the easiest thing in the world to change the whole thing.

·
Time is not a road.
4,150 Posts
ETA - it's designed for climbing. Get an AM1 with TST. You can go from 130-150mm of travel (the Heckler can go up to 150mm) AND you get the ETA for climbing. Best of both worlds there...no 20mm axle needed.

·
LBS Manager
1,918 Posts
I love my Talas

I agree that it dosn't ramp up but I lke that. I find that its damping is better than any fork I have tried (reba, zoke AM and Minute.). If I were doing alot of drops I might not like it as much but I will never know as I ride mostly XC with only small drops of 3 feet or less.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Difference between 05 and 06 Reba Teams

Whats the diff between these two forks? What are the "upgrades" from the 05 models, besides the new colors?

There are great deals on the 05 Reba Team to be had. Why should I go for the 06 model instead, and drop an extra $300. Personally, I do see the fact that the 06 has aluminum control knobs as a sole good reason for such an outlay.

Thanks...

·
Save Jesus
2,947 Posts
SpeedThrills said:
Whats the diff between these two forks? What are the "upgrades" from the 05 models, besides the new colors?

There are great deals on the 05 Reba Team to be had. Why should I go for the 06 model instead, and drop an extra $300. Personally, I do see the fact that the 06 has aluminum control knobs as a sole good reason for such an outlay.

Thanks...
06 also has the v-brake option, but v-brakes and U turn are mutually exclusive options

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.