Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi – can anyone give me quick run down on TALAS forks , I am looking for a 32 - 150 mm fork with adjustable ride height – and the 32 TALAS FIT RLC seems to fit the bill.

32 TALAS 150 FIT RLC Bike Fork | FOX

I Would love to hear from TALAS owners – their experiences – opinions etc.
Can you do it on the fly ? - Is it easy to do ? I don’t want to have to get off and back on again to change heights ?

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I don't have a 32 Talas, but I do have a 36 Talas. The fork has been solid overall, but there are a few things I'm not overly please with.

At first I really liked the travel adjustment, used it going up every hill. Then I started noticing that it felt like I was riding through thick mud when the fork was in the lower travel position. I don't even use the travel adjustment anymore and I would have been better off with the Float or Van version of my fork.

The other thing is that the bath oil was making it into the air chamber, which would cause the pressure in the fork to go up significantly during a ride.

But anyway, yup you can lower it on the fly easily. Going back to full travel for me requires a little wheely if I don't want to stop riding.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have a Talas 140 on my Stumpy, which I have been riding for the past 2 years. The adjustment is pretty easy to do while riding, just lean over and spin the dial. I don' t use the different travel adjustments as much as I thought I would prior to getting the Talas. I do drop it down to 120 for long steep climbs and it helps with climbing. I never drop it to 100.

I had a Float prior to my Talas, which is better IMO (much smoother). My bike feels very good with the fork set at 140. That being said, I'm switching back to a Float 140.

·
moaaar shimz
9,125 Posts
Try the new 2012 Kashima stuff. I'm loving my 2012 Fox 34 Talas. There's no comparison to my previous 2011 Fox 36 Float, buttery smooth, zero stiction, and the travel feature is a welcomed addition.
The system relies on too many o-rings for proper functioning plus it has too much friction. X-Fusion DLA system is far superior.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
HI - Thanks for the replies everyone Very helpfull and I appreciate it - The reason I ask is I just bought the new 2012 Spesh Stumpy EVO http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMZPbH4ug38–
after spending 4 years on a 2007/8 Spesh Enduro SL
New Specialized Enduro 08 Bike - YouTube
Obviously they are both VERY different bikes – both having their own particular geometrys , Thing is the new STUMPY dosent climb the REALLY REALLY STEEP stuff as well as the old ENDURO did - I,m not on about cranking all the way up to the top of a long fire road climb “the new EVO does that just fine” – I,m on about those short real chain snapping killer sections , maybe 30 – 50 yards where you gotta just beast it, and you think your thighs are gonna explode .
On my old Enduro forks (E150) I had a 40mm drop down option and I allways used it on the killer climbs –
The STUMPY feels a little too high at the bars sometimes - So I,m gonna try all manner of set ups , I.E. Flip the stem – flat bar – and obviously an adjustable height fork.
I can still do thses killer sections on my new Stumpy BUT its harder work and the stumpy is 3 LB lighter ! , So the diference is obviously down to the geometry So I thought an adjustable height TALAS might help. I know I ve opened a can of worms by asking this question , So lets keep the replies “on topic”
Cheers.

·
Timbo
7 Posts
Talas R help

My talas r has locked out fully extended, it does not return to the 130, 100 settings aaarrrgghhh help, the bike is to wandering on tech twisties, what can i dooo??
:madman:

·
Registered
7,815 Posts
There's a lot to go wrong in a Talas. Unless you absolutely need on-the-fly travel adjustment, take a look at the Float or F-series since they're lighter, cheaper, more durable, travel adjustable, easier to tune, and easier to maintain.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts