Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
"Furruccio....Bite Me!"
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have one of the first gen Talas'. I sent it to Fox to be service, they replaced the lowers, serviced the Talas cartridge and returned.

There is fore/aft movement of the lowers. At first I thought I had a loose headset, but the lowers noticeably move, especially with travel cranked all the way out.

My LBS seems to think that it is not excessive. My original lowers did not do this, and this is the first time this fork has been serviced.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Zeke said:
I have one of the first gen Talas'. I sent it to Fox to be service, they replaced the lowers, serviced the Talas cartridge and returned.

There is fore/aft movement of the lowers. At first I thought I had a loose headset, but the lowers noticeably move, especially with travel cranked all the way out.

My LBS seems to think that it is not excessive. My original lowers did not do this, and this is the first time this fork has been serviced.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
That's "normal" with foxes.

They use looser split bushings so that they get oil lubing between the bushing and the tube. Unfortunately this comes at the cost of sloppy loose headset feel all the time. They do vary, some people don't have a huge problem with it, some do. Both foxes I have had had it.

I'll take the long break in time of a Marzocchi bushing over the constant sloppy feel of a fox. It doesn't seem like Marzocchi has had any issues with tight bushings starving for oil.

Someplace (maybe it was PUSH) had a way of tightening them so they didn't feel as bad.

·
Registered
104 Posts
push it

yeah apparently push use much better tolerance bushings so u don't get the slop, wish push had an australian branch.....
i was told by my lbs, who were told by the oz fox distributors DirtWorks (read DirtJerks), that the play in the bushings allows for expansion of the bushings when they heat up, so if u grab the lowers at the end of a bit of rough downhill action u *should* find that there's no movement. havne't had a chance to test this out yet... my lbs also said they'd never had to send any fox forx back for new bushings, and mine are only a year old so if i've worn the bushings i'm not gonna be happy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.