Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Slowly building Covert 2010, consider options of TALAS 160mm or FLOAT 150mm, both needs to be tapered.
So far I'm riding Titus FTM that I set with TALAS 140 and this will be kept as my trail bike, Covert is expected to serve my AM ambitions (that are still very fresh as I'm getting into, something on the fence between aggressive XC to AM).
I usually get down to 100mm for steep or particularly long uphills, almost never use 120mm, however several times noticed climbing longish uphills at 140mm on FTM just forgetting to lower to 100mm travel. Can't remember particularly struggling then, perhaps just a little harder, not sure.
The question is different geometry of covert that may be easier with fixed 150mm on climbs or perhaps the opposite is correct - lowering the front on covert would be more efficient on climbs ?

Any thoughts/experiences ?

·
never summer
240 Posts
Do you want a 36mm or 32mm stanchion? Cause the Float 150 is a 32, and the Talas 160 is a 36. There is quite a difference in how they feel. Demo'd several Yeti's all with 32mm and 15mm QR's.

I really like my Talas, however unless I'm pulling some LONG climb it doesn't get dropped. I do wish I had HSC, so I've thought about the Van a few times. If your on the heavier side like me 190ish you might give the coil a thought.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, my current setup is Titus fitted with 32 TALAS (140mm) making allowing quite a bit of joy in the field however I have never had the chance to try 36 fork. I realize there is an added rigidity and obviously weight, but how that feels in practice I don't know.
I just thought geometry-wise perhaps Covert more suited for 160mm fork and then 36 is the only choice and in that case I'd probably more consider TALAS version, however for 150mm fork, if the one proves to be no less efficient on Covert, I'd make things simpler with just plain Float version (RL).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.