Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am coming to portland for a week and am looking for some places to ride for a few days around portland. Any suggestions on some good trails near by or an hour outside of portland. I would love to go to Bend but that seems like a little bit of a hike, any other suggestions?

As far as what type of trails, just overall good trails with good scenery, some technical, climbs are okay and of coarse some nice down hills. I am from the Midwest so I don't need killer type trails, just something to enjoy but also offer some challenge.

Thanks

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
If I was doing 3 day trip rides from Portland, I would ride the Siouxson Trail, the Lewis River Trail (a little rugged last week, but should be dryer for you), and Falls Creek.

·
Registered
219 Posts
All the trails listed above are over an hour to get to, lewis is almost 1 hour 45 min, but well worth it. If you can make it, Ape Canyon in SW WA is a MUST. The rides kosmo listed are great, but if you want an amazing ride and sensory experience, checkout the Ape.

·
highly visible
3,284 Posts
Tillamook State Forest trails (Browns Camp, Gales Creek, Storey Burn, Wilson River) are closer than the other ones listed, and pretty good. Also the Scappoose trail system is within an hour.

I would be very surprised if Ape Canyon is open yet.

·
Registered
18 Posts
+1 to Tillamook, this may not be a great "destination", but the riding is fantastic. Story burn has a great downhill, and you don't have to out and back it if start up gales creek (paralleling the highway, starting at gales creek campground), crossing over the highway at the browns camp entrance, and using the elliot creek trail to get to story burn. Add the Historic hiking loop for a longer ride. This is the web site for the map,

http://www.oregon.gov/ODF/TSF/docs/StoreyBurnTrail.pdf

Historic hiking loop: (Best done clockwise)

http://www.oregon.gov/ODF/TSF/docs/HistoricHikingTrail.pdf

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
amtbr said:
I doubt Ape Canyon is open yet, I haven't been up there this year, but based on all the snow on the flank of St. Helens, I would think its still under some snow.
It isn't - in fact the highway is washed out 8 miles from the trailhead and there's still a LOT of snow up on the plains. Falls Creek is also under quite a bit of snow from what I've heard. Souixon, Lewis, Surveyors and Browns are probably your best bets.

Have FUN!

G MAN

·
Registered
219 Posts
Gman086 said:
It isn't - in fact the highway is washed out 8 miles from the trailhead and there's still a LOT of snow up on the plains. Falls Creek is also under quite a bit of snow from what I've heard. Souixon, Lewis, Surveyors and Browns are probably your best bets.

Have FUN!

G MAN
The 'highway' was washed out last year. I think it should stay that way, its a perfect little road ride to warm up before you start climbing the single track. Can't wait to ride the Ape this year...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for all the suggestions, ended up only getting two days in.

Went to Lewis river with my Fiance and that was a great ride. We tried to go to red rock pass but couldn't even make it up the road. Check out the attached picture.

The highlight of the trip was Post Canyon. Went up there solo and hooked up with a family that shuttled me to the top and rode with me all the way down. That was an amazing ride. I have never done anything like that and it was amazing.

Also checked out a smal trail system just north of Portland.

I can't wait to get back and check out some more tails. Hopefully my fiance will get into Lewis and Clark and I will be forced to ride these trails all the time. Enjoy a few pics.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.