Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen 5 rattlesnakes in the past month riding. I don't mind running across them. Pretty awesome to observe from a safe distance.

Anyone else seeing a lot of snakes this year or am I just lucky?

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
We have a lot in Wilson Creek and Linville Gorge. I have seen some black phase but usually yellow phase. I also see a lot of Copperheads, Rat Snakes, King Snakes, Queen Snakes, and Northern Banded Water Snakes.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
To me they're all venomous, call me a yankee all you want. ;)
I've only been on SC trails the past 3 months but I've ran over 3 black (I think) snakes and seen 1 other.
Good incentive for me not to crash.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We have a lot in Wilson Creek and Linville Gorge. I have seen some black phase but usually yellow phase. I also see a lot of Copperheads, Rat Snakes, King Snakes, Queen Snakes, and Northern Banded Water Snakes.
My 5 sightings have all been black phase like in my pic above. 2 on Bennett gap, 1 on new section of black, 1 on farlow, 1 on avery fireroad by horse stables.

·
Raleigh
362 Posts
I have seen 5 rattlesnakes in the past month riding. I don't mind running across them. Pretty awesome to observe from a safe distance.

Anyone else seeing a lot of snakes this year or am I just lucky?
I'm pssssst, I haven't run into any rattlers since I moved to NC in 2006. Used to see em' all the time in San Diego.

I've come across one copperhead, one king, and tons of rat, black and brown snakes. Unfortunately, I ran over a baby rough green snake. Didn't see him until it was too late.

Anyways, I would consider you lucky. That black phase looks wicked.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I visited family who moved to Asheville 3-4 years ago and rode Pisgah and Dupont. Saw a good sized rattler one day. We stopped to watch him rattle is way across the trail. We get them up here in eastern CT occasionally. I've only seen one in the many years I've ridden up here.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I rode past one with about 6 inches between my ankle and it's head, startled me so bad I ran into the other guy I was riding with. It was yellow, which I had not seen before.

The rattlesnakes here kindof baffle me. They don't get angry unless you really get in their face. That one didn't budge or act startled at all, just chilled there. He only got mad when the other guy I was with got too close to take a photo.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Just a few copperheads this summer for me. Run into a bear (mostly a mama w/ cubs, probably the same one) 2 mornings out of 5 most weeks in Dupont for the last few months though.

In my experience the Timber's are far more docile than say a Western Diamondback. Those suckers get angry

·
Registered
593 Posts
I'm pssssst, I haven't run into any rattlers since I moved to NC in 2006. Used to see em' all the time in San Diego.
I have lived in North Carolina for all but two of my 49 years and I have only seen 1 rattler in the wild in all that time (in the Mount Airy area).

Though I understand they do inhabit NC, I have never seen a coral snake here, nor do I know anyone who has.

I live in the Raleigh area now and see a lot of copperheads. Most of my dogs have been bitten by one at one time or another, and I have a friend who has had 2 out of his 3 children bitten by one!

·
Raleigh
362 Posts
I have lived in North Carolina for all but two of my 49 years and I have only seen 1 rattler in the wild in all that time (in the Mount Airy area).

Though I understand they do inhabit NC, I have never seen a coral snake here, nor do I know anyone who has.

I live in the Raleigh area now and see a lot of copperheads. Most of my dogs have been bitten by one at one time or another, and I have a friend who has had 2 out of his 3 children bitten by one!
Seems the likelihood of crossing paths with a wild rattler is slim (unless I'm pryde1 or Sugar_Brad). Guess if I really want to see one, I'll have to go herping.

Yeah, it'd be a real treat to come across a coral snake in NC - I think we need to hit more of the southern counties to try to get a glimpse, but it'd still be rare as hell to actually see one.

I hear about people seeing copperheads often, and I'm like, wtf. I've seen one in 13yrs. I hope your dogs and your friend's kids were okay.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,565 Posts
I've only seen one eastern diamondback/timber/canebrake rattler in the wild and it was in East TX, where they were probably the least common of all the places I've lived where they've also lived (endangered in Indiana, but somewhat locally abundant around the Brown County area). The one I did see was super chill.

I've never seen a copperhead in the wild, and I've lived in a few places in copperhead country.

I've encountered a couple cottonmouths in the wild. In spite of the stories about them, I've found them fairly docile, also. Granted, I'm also not being an idiot and harassing them.

Interesting fact about coral snakes - don't ever get bitten by one! antivenin for them is no longer made. to be fair, you've really gotta be an idiot to be envenomated by one. Their fangs are farther back in their mouths, so they really have to get a good piece of you to inject venom.

The one rattler I've probably seen the most of is the eastern massassauga rattlesnake. Back in college I did work in a nature preserve (I was studying turtles there) and there was a healthy population of them there. Saw at least one almost daily. Want to talk about a docile rattler, the eastern massassauga has the timber rattler beat handily. They're small (think garter snake size) and I've known people who picked them up not realizing what they were at first. No attempts to bite, no rattling, nothing.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I find the more you are in the forest, the more animals you see. Bears, snakes, coyotes, Otters, Birds. I was in my hammock napping under log spanning the Davidson last week and a coyote walked across the log right over my head. Crazy...

Animals are out there often in plain sight you just gotta slow down a bit.

If you really want to see a rattler go hang out on Slate Rock vista for a day. That place is teeming with them. I've seen 4 at a time in the same crack. they like to spend the day in the shade of all the little cracks and coveys in the rock.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It is weird I've been in the woods a ton the last 3 years here and never seen a rattler until the past month then bam 5 of them all the sudden. Yes they all have been somewhat chill but 3 were rattling like crazy. Very unique awesome sound.

I have seen plenty of copperheads here also. 2 weeks ago I got this colorful guy when hiking

·
Registered
593 Posts
I hope your dogs and your friend's kids were okay.
Thanks, and yes they were. From what I understand copperhead bites hurt like hell but rarely have severe health consequences if you get medical attention. The dogs always get antibiotics and benadryl at the emergency vet's office and then are back to normal within a day or two. The kids were in Raleigh when they got bitten and were able to get treatment quickly.

Copperheads are very common near creeks and lakes in Raleigh, maybe due to the climate here. My blue heeler and I stepped right over a 12"-15" one in our back yard just a few weeks ago.

For anyone interested, there was a great article in Outside magazine last year about a near-death experience involving a rattlesnake bite: https://www.outsideonline.com/2315436/surviving-rattlesnake-bite.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts

You would have to be pretty far East to find one.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I've only seen one eastern diamondback/timber/canebrake rattler in the wild and it was in East TX, where they were probably the least common of all the places I've lived where they've also lived (endangered in Indiana, but somewhat locally abundant around the Brown County area). The one I did see was super chill.

I've never seen a copperhead in the wild, and I've lived in a few places in copperhead country.

I've encountered a couple cottonmouths in the wild. In spite of the stories about them, I've found them fairly docile, also. Granted, I'm also not being an idiot and harassing them.

Interesting fact about coral snakes - don't ever get bitten by one! antivenin for them is no longer made. to be fair, you've really gotta be an idiot to be envenomated by one. Their fangs are farther back in their mouths, so they really have to get a good piece of you to inject venom.

The one rattler I've probably seen the most of is the eastern massassauga rattlesnake. Back in college I did work in a nature preserve (I was studying turtles there) and there was a healthy population of them there. Saw at least one almost daily. Want to talk about a docile rattler, the eastern massassauga has the timber rattler beat handily. They're small (think garter snake size) and I've known people who picked them up not realizing what they were at first. No attempts to bite, no rattling, nothing.
Partially true. They are members of the elapid family. They are related to Cobras and like all elapids they are front fanged. If you are unlucky enough to be bitten they will bite and chew like a rear fanged snake. Pfizer contracted several venom labs to include Coral Snakes in their venom production in 2014.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.