Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
TRACKDADDY
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After the start of school and the CRAZY weather we have had here in the PNW I have finally been able to get out a few weekends in a row to a close in trail system known as the Towers of Power or more famously known for it's major trail's name "The Tapeworm". This trail system is pretty short but very technically challenging seeing as how the creators manage to stuff 2.25 miles of trail inside the space of a city block or so... There are a few other trails, that are all connected by a main trail, that go by names like Mr. DNA, Crop Circles, and Parasite. All in all I think one could squeeze out about 9 miles of trail.... Here is a link to an awesome MAP of the trail system Thanks to CycoActive Products!. I went on the 14th and on the 21st. There was about 3 inches of snow on the ground and throughout the trails on the 14th and on the 21st the trails where dry for the most part with a few small muddy spots.
I have ridden here before a few time on my 26" and done "ok", but nothing prepared me for the fun I was gonna have riding the Tape on my Black Sheep!! Rolling over things is an understatement! With the Rampage up front and the Nevegal in the rear I scoot scooted along the trail up and over root after root and the bike handled like a dream in the super tight twisty singletrack!! I rode with a few friends and beyond the fitness difference the bike just moved out! I even rode a few stunts to sucsess. Although riding teeter totters designed for a 26er wheelbase takes a little more momentum to find the fulcrum point on a 29er! I had a blast and I plan to make the Sunday morning ride a regular thing now that my leg is healing up nicely. It does my soul good to get out and ride like a scalded dog!

Attachments

·
Occasionally engaged…
1,779 Posts
First -- beautiful bike. I might well have seen that bike in production during one of my visits to James' shop. After I oohed and ahhhed over it, he offered to cut my BS in half and install couplers for a reasonable price. I haven't yet taken him up on it.

Second -- that trail system is pretty cool, at least the pictures and map make it appear that way. A great use of space!

Third --- that's a pretty amazing story regarding your leg. Thank goodness for Western medicine, a supportive family, and an ability to deal with pain and work hard.

·
TRACKDADDY
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
NAHTNOJ said:
That third shot is awesome. The rotation of the wheels and the angle of the shot makes it look as if your rims are blue! Super cool bike!!!
I think so too I just wish that it had come out clearer. I think it was a little to dark for the flash to activate yet dark enough to extend the exposure time a fraction longer to make it come out slightly blurred.... Oh well plenty more opportunities for pics! Thanks for the compliment I think she's cool too!!!

·
TRACKDADDY
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
PeT said:
First -- beautiful bike. I might well have seen that bike in production during one of my visits to James' shop. After I oohed and ahhhed over it, he offered to cut my BS in half and install couplers for a reasonable price. I haven't yet taken him up on it.

Second -- that trail system is pretty cool, at least the pictures and map make it appear that way. A great use of space!

Third --- that's a pretty amazing story regarding your leg. Thank goodness for Western medicine, a supportive family, and an ability to deal with pain and work hard.
First- I am jealous you got to see her being built, Jame is a master craftsmen and I know he doesn't get on a computer very much but if your in Ft. collins you should sit him down in front of the MTBR.com forums and show him what people think of his work.

Second- It is a very cool space right in downtown Renton about 20 minutes from downtown Seattle!!

Third- Thank you very much it means alot to me... I have a whole new defination for pain now!!

·
Registered
750 Posts
Hey, I'm not the only rigid SS 29er rider that wears knee/shin pads!

Rampages in the snow are great, just got back from a ride on my new set.

Sweet bike, love the Ti and blue combo. Is there any color that doesn't look good with Ti?

-Dan

·
TRACKDADDY
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Trond said:
Sweet bike! What handlebar you got on there? Custom sheep-bend ti?
Yep, James made a custom ordered 26" 1"riser bar with a 15 deg sweep for me. I like where it puts my hands when riding, although when I stand up to pedal it feels a little weird still I am so used to old school traditional flat or riser bars with 8 deg or less sweep. I have it mounted to the bike with a Salsa SUL cromo stem 90mm x 90deg. I think I am going to have to take some more steerer off though because the stem is flush with the HS and I have almost 20 mm of spacers on top :( Still looking for a silver REBA to buy.... I'd like to ride this beauty with and without a suspention fork just to feel the difference...

Thank you all for the complements PS jh_on_the_cape The little blue guy is "The Tick" and he has been my trail mojo for almost ten years.... SPOOOoooonnnn!!!

·
Supersonic Garfield
633 Posts
that's pretty cool. I have a ti-bar project going as well, and BS has said he can make it happen.

Do you know what your bar weights in at, and what wallthickness is used? As far as I know there are two usual thicknesses to choose from. One will land around 200-220 grams, and the other a bit over 300. Any comments on the feel of the bar? Does it feel flexy etc?

·
TRACKDADDY
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I did measure it before I mounted it and then promptly lost the paper I wrote it all down on I am still looking for it I'll post it when I find it. Some flex but not bad flex... It took some getting used to too but then so did the whole Ti thing period. I like it all now....

·
Registered
553 Posts
Nice bike, Brandon. Great pics too.

Tapeworm is a lot of fun to ride, definitely a nice spot to practice your handling skills -- packs miles of trails into a postage stamp size piece of land. If you ever make it out to Tokul or Tolt, drop me a line. My Mooto-X is still being made, but I should have it by the end of February. (fingers crossed!)

·
TRACKDADDY
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
EnduroDoug said:
Nice bike, Brandon. Great pics too.

Tapeworm is a lot of fun to ride, definitely a nice spot to practice your handling skills -- packs miles of trails into a postage stamp size piece of land. If you ever make it out to Tokul or Tolt, drop me a line. My Mooto-X is still being made, but I should have it by the end of February. (fingers crossed!)
I love to ride Tolt it is one of my favorite places to ride in the Seattle area, BUT right now it is still totally JACKED UP with trees. I unfortunately only get early Sunday mornings to ride and I would love to do so trail maintenance but with my limited trail time I really need to spend it riding. I will pour some effort in to the trail rat thing next year when I am not in school full-time.... I have never ridden Tokul but I REALLY want to but once again don't want to spend my limited time riding getting lost or finding my way around a new area. But if I could ride it a few time with someone (yourself??) the knows the area that would be sweet!!! I typically get to ride from 8 or 9 till about 12 on Sundays before I have to go rescue my wife from our 2 1/2 yo daughter!! I paln to do Tapeworm again this Sunday I'll be there around 9am-ish.... Would love to ride... I would love to see your Mooto-X when you get it (kinda jealous I love Moots(es?))

·
breathing helium
2,094 Posts
Nice to see it all built up and you riding it with a healed leg. Great bike! I almost got a Black Sheep. I may still get one! I like the pics on the trails. I'm over in Port Angeles and have heard of the Tapeworm trail but never ridden it. I've heard you'll get lost in there with all the winding turns. sounds like my idea of fun.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Nah, it's hard to get lost at Tapeworm. Now Tolt-MacDonald in Carnation on the other hand... I've ridden there dozens of times and still get lost. Good thing about that place is that it's easy to get lost, hard to stay lost.

Speaking of the Port Angeles area & 29ers... I can't wait to take my Mooto-X down the Dungeness/Gold Creek loop come spring time. That trail is so insanely fast as it is, we're talking Ludicrous Speed on a 29er! :D

·
TRACKDADDY
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Cocheese,

Thank you for the compliment, as well as 1 speed, Thanks! One can't get lost on the Tapeworm it's all one way! Finding the entrance can be a little tricky but the area is so modular that it can be a different ride each time!! I am planning to be out riding every Sunday I can!! I am also going down to San Jose (with bike in hand) to goto the North American Handmade Bicycle show in March and I plan on riding at least two or three days down there!! I just sent James some pictures and he told me my frame was his 94th of 2006 so I can serial number it and document ownership in case it ever gets stolen. Thanks guys! Cocheese and EnduroDoug I hope to see you guys at ABS 07 if not sooner this summer, a little Devils Gulch??

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.