Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the uk and making my annual alps trip, but I am more worried about the mojo than my previous bikes. I usually use a bike bag thats well padded with clothes and pads. I am wondering if I need to shell out on a hard case, as the frame may be more prone to damage from been thrown around.

Any thoughts?

Also any thoughts on Maxxis Highrollers on a Mojo?

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
Expensive bike, big investment, expensive case=pennies. Buy the Trico. I would also recommend at least using some type of bubble wrap on the frame or this foam styrofoam crap I see for like 99cents at the hardware stores for big rolls. It's that plastic sheeting that electronics and furniture come packaged with.

It's too expensive to scrimp on here. While the resin is extremely hard, a chip can happen, nonetheless. It would be a shame from travel.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hi Quentin,

While I don't have any experience with this yet, I am planning a trip to Socal (and then a road trip up into Utah and Colorado) in September. I've never flown with a bike before and don't intend to take any chances... A Trico Ironcase is about $300 - steep, but from what I've read pretty bomb-proof. I'd much rather pay 300 and have peace of mind rather than meticulously pack everything into a soft-case surrounded by padding and hope that it comes out okay.

You might get by okay with your current setup, but IMHO it is not worth the risk.
Just my $0.02

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
I should also add that I recently used two IronCases during my move from the US to Germany. Everything was delivered in the same position I closed it in. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. I also bought mine Trico direct, which was cheaper than most other places, and so close to the used+shipping price that it was a no-brainer.

http://tricosports.com/ They have an EU price as well, and with the gaining pound/declining dollar, it should be a good deal. Their customer service was stellar, as well. I had some special needs for my order and they were great about accomodating due to my move.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hey Jerk_Chicken

What size Mojo do you have, any how much room to spare was there?
My only concern (and probably unfounded) is that a large size frame won't fit... if you could prove me wrong I would be delighted. Sorry for the hi-jack!

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
I don't have a mojo. I have a Turner RFX in size medium, with a Fox 36. The only tough part was the fork. I had to compress the fork to a lower travel and remove the caliper. Ironically, I had to remove my gf's fork on the same bike, only smaller, and she's running a Z1 RC2.

I should have made a tutorial for how one could pack their bike, as in, "What to expect". Such things as removing the calipers and taping them out of the way, for instance. I also used my bike clothes and soft armor for padding.

·
holding back the darkness
1,734 Posts
Mojos fit pretty well in the Ritchey softcase and come in just under the oversize baggage limit.
Mojos are pretty... but they're pretty tough. If your wheels survived in a softcase then your frame will too. I don't think a hard case is necessary, but will of course offer more protection. Of course you'll pay a ton more for the case and the weight/size.

·
Church of the Wheel
749 Posts
okay_player said:
What size Mojo do you have, any how much room to spare was there?
My only concern (and probably unfounded) is that a large size frame won't fit... if you could prove me wrong I would be delighted. Sorry for the hi-jack!
My size large Mojo SL with Talas 32 fork fits fine in the Trico case. There's room for many small items as well, although not a lot of wiggle room for the bike itself. One thing though - and this is noted in the Trico case instructions - take your brake rotors off before packing, because you risk warping them when you squeeze the case all together. When everything's buckled up though, it's pretty bombproof. My only complaint about the Trico is that the strap used to haul the case around on its two roller wheels is awkward to use.

That aside, the case is a cheap investment in peace of mind.

·
Registered
874 Posts
There's a thread here about taking off the bottom links and folding the rear tri over the seat tube, making it about half the size.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Have a look at Fishboy's softcase

I think Fishboy (The One With The Kit :)) has pictures of a softcase he used when travelling. Have a look at his profile, apparently, he was happy with his.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
i use this case, it works well:

https://www.triall3sports.com/bike.html

lots of extra room for the rest of your travel "stuff"...street clothes, helmet, shoes, etc... the amount of extra room is deceiving. you can fit all sorts of stuff in all the areas in between frame and wheels and then the large space up front.

take care, happy traveling!
mx

·
flow where ever you go
1,528 Posts
I think you will find that you can carry the bike the way you always have and the Mojo will be fine. I have used the cheap soft Ritchey bag and while the bag does show wear, the bike has no problems.

I make sure to have the support piece (?) in the rear dropouts. I think the rear triangle (without support) is the only part that could actually break if a baggage handler jumped on the soft bag.

I also use some packaging wrap around parts that will be rubbing on other parts and some Velcro ties to hold things in place against each other.

The bike is tough enough for the plane and the Alps. Have fun.

·
Has a cycling disorder
536 Posts
Bigfoot Bike Bags

I got myself a Bigfoot bike bag (soft) and found it worked really well.
Bikes don't need to be pulled down much, so it's in the bag within 15mins and out again ready to ride in much the same time. It comes with clever little plastic wheels for each end so your rear derailleur can stay on and is well protected. Construction quality is excellent, well padded. I also added a couple of sheets of 5mm coreflute for extra protection. There's enough extra space for other gear too. I'd rate it a solid 9. :thumbsup:
http://www.bigfootbags.com.au/Bike/PSMTB.html

Attachments

·
flow where ever you go
1,528 Posts
fishboy2807 said:
I got myself a Bigfoot bike bag (soft) ......I'd rate it a solid 9. :thumbsup:
http://www.bigfootbags.com.au/Bike/PSMTB.html
Nice bag. Do you get oversize baggage charges on that bag? It's such at odd shape, I'd think the airlines would be too busy to bother measuring unless it's obviously too big.

·
Has a cycling disorder
536 Posts
noshortcuts said:
Nice bag. Do you get oversize baggage charges on that bag? It's such at odd shape, I'd think the airlines would be too busy to bother measuring unless it's obviously too big.
No excess charges so far. I was careful to book only with the airlines that gift at least an extra 10kg if the item is 'sporting goods' and that makes a huge difference. I also didn't go stupid with what I put in my other check-in baggage, and tried to make the best use of carry-on for the rest of it. I didn't feel I had left something important behind... though i'll never send my lights ahead by courier again... that was a nightmare (and another story)

Fish

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
usr666 said:
Or this... think this is how Scot takes his bikes.
Here is the video on how he did it.
https://www.mtbr.com/TRD_14_318crx.aspx
(Roughly 30% into the video is where Scot explains the Moj in a travel case.)
You might wanna take the der. hanger off so you don't have to worry about that getting bent. (well if its not clicking right, then you at least know it's not that and can recheck your bolts and washers when eyeballing alignment simple to do to be safe.) Save some $ with this method over big case.:thumbsup:
https://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docId=2620261108301617495
I'll bet if you look around these days I'll bet you can find a decent hard shell luggage set. I just did a quick little search, if you spend a bit of time and refine the search I'm sure you will find better. (right now my "high speed" comcast is going belly up again, as usual...)
https://www.hardsidedluggage.net/Hard-Sided-Luggage.html?node=68185&rattr=rolling_wheeled_luggage
https://www.foldabikes.com/PriceListHTML/suitcase/suitcase.html

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.