Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Gnarley!!!!!
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Taking off cassette

Ok I am trying to take my cassette off my old rear rim. I have broken 2 chainwhips and still nothing. Any ideas? It is the rim that came on the bike, so I am assuming the factory torqed the hell out of it.

Thanks

·
Registered
156 Posts
I'm a bit confused. The whip should be used to hold the cassette in place while you remove the lockring. Then the cassette should slide right off. The lockring should be turned counter-clockwise to loosen it. Generally there is not much torque involved. Good luck!

·
Gnarley!!!!!
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the fast replie. I got another chain whip, and still can't torque it off. I'm giving it hell too.

·
Gnarley!!!!!
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No I don't have that specific wrench, but I have wrenches that fit. I give up, I am just going to take it to the bike shop.

Thanks

·
Gnarley!!!!!
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yup I got the nut but still no luck. When I do it, the chainwhip just starts bending lol.

·
Gnarley!!!!!
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes. I have tried holding the rim in all different positions, including that one. My tire is off though....

·
Gnarley!!!!!
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a 06 rockhopper comp, so whatever that has. It spins free one way... and yes, I went the opposite way of the "lock" emblem stamped on the lockring.

·
...idios...
5,662 Posts
OK, cheers. I know it sounded stupid, but I just wanted to make sure which type of cassette/hub you were working on.
See if you can get somebody to help you out and try this; put the tyre back on and prop the wheel against a wall, as upright as you can get it without the axle end touching the wall. While one person holds the chain whip so that it look like the picture above has been turned upside-down. Use the right hand to push and the handle of the whip firmly against the tyre and the left to hold the lock ring tool end of the wrench tight against the cassette. The handle of the wrench should be pointing to 9/10 o'clock. Because the wrench and lock ring tool are held tight into the cassette, the other person can now apply their full body weight downover onto the wrench handle. The longer the handle, the more leverage you're getting, but you can use any length of pipe you may find to slip over the handle of your wrench if it is short. Whoever is operating the wrench should try short, sharp bursts of leverage, almost like an impact wrench, but make sure the whip man has the tool pushed firmly into the cassette. Don't be afraid to step (one footed!) onto the wrench handle...

·
Gnarley!!!!!
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I will try that, hopefully I will not break my chainwhip again. I will have to take a picture of them, they are pretty comical.

Thanks for the tips, I will try again tonight and give an update. If not, off to the LBS tomarrow.

·
Gnarley!!!!!
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
...idios...
5,662 Posts
Yeah, that cassette will go on your hub. You'll have to excuse me, but I think you should go into your LBS and get them to check out your cassette removal technique. Bending or breaking a whip is one thing, but a cassette!!??
You'll need to apply 40nM of torque when you fit your new cassette. If you don't think that you can acurately guage that yourself, buy a torque wrench (one that has a drive which fits your lock-ring tool) or get your shop to do it. If you over-tighten it, you're going to thread the freehub body ($25 + labor), under-tighten and the cassette will be loose on the freehub body which may cause damage to the freehub body itself, or jam the chain and cause an accident.
Doing your own wrenching is great and the potential to save money is infinite, but if you're breaking your tools and components then you may need to try a different approach. Check out the short section on tools at the beginning of the basic maintenance guide.

·
Gnarley!!!!!
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There is no reason for that cassette to be on there that tight. It's a friggen bicycle. I have never struggled so hard even working on my motorcycles. My friends were baffled also... are techniques were fine. Like I said, the last time I tried, I did what you said. For gods sakes, we had to of been putting 100's of LBS of torque on it. I was using my 4 foot breaker bar...+ my weight, to the point the rim was bending.

I own a couple torque wrench's, so that's not a problem putting the new one on. I appreciate your help, and I will let you know how things go.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.