Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a slightly used Trek Fuel 80 (2003) last summer, and have been riding it pretty hard ever since (minus the winter).

A few days ago I was riding my favourite local trial, and rode up a newly built stunt... I ended up having to bail from about 6 feet up. Luckily I landed perfectly on both tires, and patted myself on the back for making a textbook bail-out.

I retrospect, I'm still amazed that the bike recieved NO damage. The rear tire isn't perfectly spherical anymore, but it's nowhere near needing a truing job. I've taken about a dozen or so crashes on the Fuel 80, and no problems really. I'm suprised to hear people on the forum complain about cracked frames etc, AND they don't ride stunts or jumps.

Am I a lucky bastard or does Trek actually make durable frames???

·
Trail rider and racer
4,691 Posts
jidoe said:
Probably both.

I am sure a well made bike frame can take one or two hits, but once you start doing hit after hit, drop after drop and start getting daring the frame is just not going to hold up to the abuse and somebody and something (You and your bike) are likely to get hurt.

A riding buddy discovered his Giant NRS could do 6ft. He continued riding it like so, till he got to 12ft and broke it. He broke 2 or 3 before he made the move to a Kona Stinky.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Trevor!,

Sounds like an accurate observation.

I don't plan on repeating the same big drops (and definitely not 12 footers!) mostly because I know the Fuel can't handle that type of treatment for too long

It's kind of got me thinking: I don't really know if I've got the right bike for my prefered style of riding. And furthermore, I'm not really sure what my riding style is!
I do love most aspects of XC – the speed, the flow, tight cornering, etc., but I often like to hit the "scary" stuff like stunts and jumps.

So I guess my next bike should either be a tough-as-nails XC bike or something in the freeride department.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I would recommend a good trail bike. A liquid, enduro, or a "higher end" frame like a turner or titus. You would appreciate the extra travel and the beefier frame. I can vouch for the fuel not take that much abuse for long.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
jidoe said:
I

The former. Rest assured. Keep doing that and the frame will definitely break. Trek does make durable frames, but that frame was not designed for constant drops.....even if they're only 3 foot ones.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.