Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
I think you're speaking of stock rubber grips that seems glued to the handlebar when you want them off, but will slip when you don't want them to. I've taken three off in the past, to install lock-on grips. It took a while for each one along with a lot of patience. No real tricks for me, I just twisted a little at a time and after 10 minutes or so, voila!

·
Your bike is incorrigible
3,179 Posts
I'm still a fan of the aqua net hairspray. Just peel back the grip a little way and spray. That's best if you want to install the same type of grips. It's slippery until dry, and then it's really sticky. The other way is to just squirt some water in there. That will get any stuck grip off. You just have to wait for it to dry before installing new grips.

Personally, I would just rip the damned things off and get lockons.

·
Registered
190 Posts
the best way to take them off is to lift up the end of the grip and pour 1-2 tablespoons of rubbing alchohol under them and they should slide right off

·
Out there
2,298 Posts
plain old water, with soap if you want, works for me. Lift up the end, use a cloth to get some water in there. Start twisting. Amazing how it works.

·
EastBaySteez
4,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well they arnt the stock grips they are ESI race grips and i want to save them for my new bike. I love them! I got them off today with alittle bit of dish soap drizzled into the grip while holding it open with a ball pump nosle. Then put them in hot water and 10 mins later they just literly slid off.

·
Registered
69 Posts
pinkheadedbug said:
plain old water, with soap if you want, works for me. Lift up the end, use a cloth to get some water in there. Start twisting. Amazing how it works.
Doesn't dry up properly and leaves a film! Grips can and will come loose after you reinstall them if you don't clean it properly.

I don't have access to an air hose so I do as mtb_freak2000 suggested.
mtb_freak2000 said:
the best way to take them off is to lift up the end of the grip and pour 1-2 tablespoons of rubbing alchohol under them and they should slide right off
I also use rubbing alcohol to put them back on because it evaporates quickly.Pour some on the inside of the grip and twist on. It's dry and ready to go in no time!

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
I stick the air compressor blow nozzle in the little hole in the end of the grip.

I screw a little screw into the other end cause I only have two hands. I open up the air and pull both ends off.

Install is the reverse.

Took about four times to get it right.

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
jeffscott said:
I stick the air compressor blow nozzle in the little hole in the end of the grip.

I screw a little screw into the other end cause I only have two hands. I open up the air and pull both ends off.
That, of course, works marvelously if you have closed ends on the grips, and not so well if they are open or have been hacked to facilitate bar ends.

A word of caution is in order: This method has the potential to turn your grip, or possibly an object used to plug the opposite hole, into a rapidly moving projectile.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I used one of those kitchen skewers (that you prod into cakes to test if they're done), I lift the grip with it as much as I can and then squirt some water in there. That makes it alot easier to get the grip off.
When re-installing new rubber grips I will wet the inside with water, slip them on. Wait for the water to dry & they don't move after that.

I'm actually getting rid of my lock ons due to rounded clamp bolts and going back to normal rubber grips (Ourys).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.