Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Travelling to Mexico next week to see some family. Just became an almost daily rider, and don't want to be without my bike for two weeks. As my checked bag, I have a large hiking pack where I think I'll put the frame. Wheels I thought could go in a seperate bag as my carryon. Any suggestions? I can't take my bike assembled because I have a lot of land travel once I land in Mexico City. Or maybe I can...hm..Any suggestions?

·
KAIZEN!
100 Posts
transport ideas...

Sounds like a decent plan; as long as you can get the frame, wheels and parts into the sizes of your bags. I hate it that airlines charge for bikes (unless it is an international flight - for some airlines) but allow golf clubs for free!

I know some people ship their bikes via a bus line in advance and pick them up when they get there to avoid the hassle... but it depends on the respective costs of each!

We have travelled to Europe from Canada (see my recent thread in "Europe" entitled "Transalp Riders") by turning the handlebars and duct taping padding to the bikes - then covering them in big clear plastic bags provided by the airline. We have heard mixed reviews of this method (we had no damage - theory being that baggage handlers are more gentle if they see it's a bike); vs. a cardboard box; vs. a hard shell.

Please post when you return to update as I would be curious which way you go and how it turns out!

·
Registered
927 Posts
Trico Sports Iron Case

I have been looking at the Trico Sports Iron Case for traveling to and from Poland but I haven't tried it yet. I was wondering whether I could just check the case as lugage and if that works then I was worried about packing it into a car with all our other lugage. The case does seem like it would do the job and hold up.

·
Registered
645 Posts
If you really want to put it on the plane, I suggest going to the LBS, getting a bike box then to Staples and picking up some bubble wrap and box the bike up. If possible, get two boxes and put one inside the other, take the front wheel, fork, cranks, seat/post off and wrap them up and drop them in the bottom of the box. Use towels to pad it also.
Note: Use two boxes in case the first one gets damaged on the first trip (you'll have another to repack for the return leg).
Should cost you an extra 80 bucks or so to check it as its oversized backage but call ahead to the airlines to make sure they'll accept it.
I've done this 2 times but now, I fed-ex it 3-4 days prior to leaving. Its cheaper (about half the price) and the box has arrived with much less damage. The airlines have always beaten the hell out the boxes when I flew with them.

·
Registered
309 Posts
baraant said:
I have been looking at the Trico Sports Iron Case for traveling to and from Poland but I haven't tried it yet. I was wondering whether I could just check the case as lugage and if that works then I was worried about packing it into a car with all our other lugage. The case does seem like it would do the job and hold up.
That thing looks like a beast! I'd say that's gotta be the Cadillac of bike-transport cases. Is it bullet-proof, by any chance?

If you're gonna be going back and forth to Mexico often (and it sounds like you might), I'd spring for the case above. I've seen soft-sided cases for bikes, but never trusted them, so this thing would be PERFECT!

Keep us updated!

Ross

·
Registered
305 Posts
Like to hear how the transport went?

A Lesson Learned: I shipped a bike to Whistler from the States a couple of years ago. I was staying for six months (Dec 5 to May 15), so I really didn't care when the bike got there. And it's a good thing because it took over 10 weeks to arrive. I shipped insur. regular ground, from East Coast, so I was not super surprized. What did bother me was Customs.
First bad; was me being too honest about my stay...2 hours in a customs room...175 lbs of gear tossed all over, personal notes being read by strangers, being treated like some kind of criminal...3 pairs of skis being dropped on the floor (unbagged by now), etc etc etc!!!!!....Whoops SORRY, back to the bike, anyway my LBS packed it sweet, you know the bike box drill; fork off, bars off, wheels off, peddles off. They hung the bike through the box by zip ties and padded it. Well...let me tell you, Customs ripped that bike box apart. cut the zip ties, twisted cables and basically let it bounce in an empty box on the drivetrain. Not only did this kind of bother me, but then they charged my landlord (who received it) at his W/B shop some sort of duty, like $100 can., based on something about buying a used USA bike.

So, this was the last time I shipped my bike anywhere...& that kind of sucks because I really would like to take my pride & joy with me, so long off travel bike trips have been lame on the list. Ya, I know you can demo or rent something pretty nice, but I really want MY bike when I make a special trip to a biking meca. I'm thinking about a hardcase & treat it like the ski thing...all gear somewhere in the plane & kind of w/me.

Any other input on traveling with a "hardcases" (not your buddy, but funny stories welcome)

·
Registered
927 Posts
I'm gonna get flamed for this but

Your only real problem with the shipping was where it was going, Canada. The stories I could tell you of colleagues, US citizens, traveling there for business would make you think twice about ever going there. I know one guy that was so harrased by the Canadian customs agents and mounties that he wanted to get right back on any plane and get the heck out of the country and his trip was being paid for by a Canadian firm for him to visit them. I don't know why this happens but it's just the way it is. Oh I forgot to mention all this harrasment has occurred before 9/11. Just my $.02.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Ha Ha...I can see where THIS could go & there is so much more to the story. Another time I flew out of Alberta with my Brother & he got stopped for "goods" he decleared, while I was ORDERED to KEEP MOVING. Me (10 day skibum skibender reak'n of booze) (Brother responsible lawyer)

Another time, train into Van...
Them: "You have a 90% chance of being put back on THAT train & sent back to the States & IT doesn't leave for 5 hours"

Me: "Why?"

Them: "Because if you fall off some chairlift, who's goiing to pay for it?"

Me: "Well, I have paid for a seasons pass at a Can resort & have receipts for my rental for $4000.00 can.

Them: "Where's your "work visa"

ME: "I don't need one, I don't plan on working"

Them: "What are you going to do for 6 months?"

ME: "Ski"

Them: "You mean ski everyday?

ME: "Yes"

Them: "Go on, we'll be watching to see that you leave"

ME " Thank you".

I'm moving to N. Montana in a couple of years...hopefully the 1 hour drive into Banff National will go more friendly...I was thinking of buying a place an hour North of there...I can only imagine the troubles with that...

·
You got any chocolate?
245 Posts
There are also some services that will handle packing and shipping your bike so that it arrives the same time you do. Don't know about cost though....probably pricey compared to doing it on your own.

As for Canada, hopefully these are isolated incidents involving jerks. Thank God there are enough trails in the "Lower 48" to keep us busy. Besides, Costa Rica has been looking real nice lately......

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.