Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
kona-tize me captain
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how do i take the drive side crank arm off on a truativ huzzelfelt crank? i unscrewed the main screw on the crank then it wouldnt budge. should i just hit it wiht a mallet or what? im doign it so i can gtet in and clean the area around my bb

·
kona-tize me captain
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dogonfr said:
You need to go to your LBS & buy a crankarm removal tool. There are 2 different size tools, sm for old style BB & lg for new style BB.
are you serious, just to take the crank arm off?! i know u need one to remove the bb but i just wnat the crank arm. on my old bike the crank arm use to fall off all the time without the need of evening unscrewing the bolt(it would rattle itself loose so i had to buy new cranks) just the crank arm nothing else and u need a tool that its new to me

·
Registered
834 Posts
if you dont want to buy a crank puller you can get a long piece of wood that is thin and put it on the base of the crank and then hit it with a mallet. it helps if you turn the cranks every few hits and put the wood in a different spot so they dont get cocked. i have hussefelts and this is what i did because i didnt have a crank puller. they have a little lip around the base where the hole is so you can rest the wood on that.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
austinb89 said:
are you serious, just to take the crank arm off?! i know u need one to remove the bb but i just wnat the crank arm. on my old bike the crank arm use to fall off all the time without the need of evening unscrewing the bolt(it would rattle itself loose so i had to buy new cranks) just the crank arm nothing else and u need a tool that its new to me
i know what you mean, but you do need a crank puller if you can't get it off your self, but idk how a crank puller makes it anybetter.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
yeah, you need a crank puller, i think a ccp-4 or ccp-2 or something, can't remember the exact name..
amazinglarry- that is like the stupidest idea ever posted on here. seriously. austinb89, don't do that. you could f-up your cranks and splines pretty badly doing somethin like that.

·
kona-tize me captain
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
as much as i want to take a piece of wood and hammer the crank arm off i think ill just go pick up a crank puller. i really dont wana have to spend money on a crank arm when i could have just went otu and bought a crank puller. thansk everyone

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
austinb89 said:
as much as i want to take a piece of wood and hammer the crank arm off i think ill just go pick up a crank puller. i really dont wana have to spend money on a crank arm when i could have just went otu and bought a crank puller. thansk everyone
good decision man... no need to be an e-tard.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
no you have to put ur bike on its side and blow a hair dryer at it and wait un till it slips on :rolleyes:

·
Registered
834 Posts
matt said:
yeah, you need a crank puller, i think a ccp-4 or ccp-2 or something, can't remember the exact name..
amazinglarry- that is like the stupidest idea ever posted on here. seriously. austinb89, don't do that. you could f-up your cranks and splines pretty badly doing somethin like that.
how does it screw up the cranks?

G

·
In case you didnt know this, cranks are pressed on so that they dont come loose... and last longer...

I cant wait till I take off my cranks with locktite all over everything.... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Amazing Larry104 said:
how does it screw up the cranks?
dude, do you think they would make something intended to take off with a piece of wood and hammer? no. go back to the caveman ages dude. trust me. when you hit it wrong and your cranks won't come off period, don't come on MTBR asking about warranty or something. maybe this won't happen, but if you slip up, guaranteed you will mess some stuff up.

G

·
matt said:
dude, do you think they would make something intended to take off with a piece of wood and hammer? no. go back to the caveman ages dude. trust me. when you hit it wrong and your cranks won't come off period, don't come on MTBR asking about warranty or something. maybe this won't happen, but if you slip up, guaranteed you will mess some stuff up.
Exactly....... use the right tools.... You certainly wont regret buying a tool that works

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.