Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be visiting a friend in Albuquerque from Dec. 15-25.

I really want to see what kind of riding NM has to offer.

I'm hoping to get in on some 3-4hr epic rides. I realize the weather this time of year can be problematic. None the less, if possible I'm really hoping to hook up with some people who can take me out and show me a good time :ihih:

My friend has to work some of the time I'm gonna be visiting, so I'd be willing to take a day trip some place. (I'll even drive).

I'm from Austin Tx, and I've never ridden outside of Texas. So, I'm really hoping to broaden my mountain biking horizons, but I only really ride XC.

As it stands I have absolutely no idea where to go and ride, in or around Albuquerque.

Thanks,
David

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Looks like were in for a bad streach of weather next week. All Mtn trails will be down for the count. Albq Foothills might be ok,mabe White Mesa. Hey, do you know Eric Okerholm? He rides out of Austin. Austin MOJOs I think.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mtbike52 said:
Looks like were in for a bad streach of weather next week. All Mtn trails will be down for the count. Albq Foothills might be ok,mabe White Mesa. Hey, do you know Eric Okerholm? He rides out of Austin. Austin MOJOs I think.
I do follow that forum, and I know of him. But I've never met him.

Hmmm.... that's discouraging about the weather. How far from Albq is "White Mesa"?

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Its about 45 min from Albq. Well worth the drive. You will enjoy it. If the weather not to bad, I dont mind running out there. Its always a blast.

·
Registered
689 Posts
mtbike52 said:
... All Mtn trails will be down for the count. ...
I was waiting to see what Steve had to say about the Manzano trails, and it's not at all surprising. That really is, not only the best, but the only bet for 3+ hours around Albuquerque, and that's probably out for the season. My choice for a convenient 2+ hours (conditions permitting) is the north foothills loop, first in one direction, then the other. That really does ride like 2 different loops. I'd be happy to do that with you on a weekday - kinda congested on a weekend, including Friday, and it sounds like there's no less than 2 dangerous types riding out there these days. White Mesa is highly recommended, but you'd have to do laps to get any miles in. Another possibility (conditions permitting) is the high desert trail in Gallup. Two-hour drive one way for a superb 2-hour, 20-mile XC ride. I might be willing do that as a day trip with you on the weekend if you're willing to drive. I'm functional on the 16th, and the 18th-21st.

·
Fragilie
866 Posts
Garson said:
I was waiting to see what Steve had to say about the Manzano trails, and it's not at all surprising. That really is, not only the best, but the only bet for 3+ hours around Albuquerque, and that's probably out for the season. My choice for a convenient 2+ hours (conditions permitting) is the north foothills loop, first in one direction, then the other. That really does ride like 2 different loops. I'd be happy to do that with you on a weekday - kinda congested on a weekend, including Friday, and it sounds like there's no less than 2 dangerous types riding out there these days. White Mesa is highly recommended, but you'd have to do laps to get any miles in. Another possibility (conditions permitting) is the high desert trail in Gallup. Two-hour drive one way for a superb 2-hour, 20-mile XC ride. I might be willing do that as a day trip with you on the weekend if you're willing to drive. I'm functional on the 16th, and the 18th-21st.
Another good option I like to do in the winter is ride from the Tram to I40 and back via the north and south foothills trails. Brings together a good mixture of riding and some mileage to boot. I would say its good for 4 to 5 hours of riding.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Garson said:
Two-hour drive one way for a superb 2-hour, 20-mile XC ride. I might be willing do that as a day trip with you on the weekend if you're willing to drive. I'm functional on the 16th, and the 18th-21st.
That would be great! I can drive no problem, any of those days would work for me.

mtbike52 said:
Its about 45 min from Albq. Well worth the drive. You will enjoy it. If the weather not to bad, I dont mind running out there. Its always a blast.
Sounds great. When are you available? I'm down to go whenever.

Eric B said:
Another good option I like to do in the winter is ride from the Tram to I40 and back via the north and south foothills trails. Brings together a good mixture of riding and some mileage to boot. I would say its good for 4 to 5 hours of riding.
And would this ride be mostly singletrack? Either way, I'm down to ride. When can you go?

:band:

·
Registered
689 Posts
mtbike52 said:
I'd like to hook up with you and Steve for the White Mesa gig (weather permitting) whenever it's good for you guys, as long as it's one of the days I'm available. He definitely knows the area better than me. Weather is going to be iffy, though.

As for Gallup, that should be a weekend deal, so, say, the 20th, weather and conditions permitting. We'll have to get up-to-the-minute local advice for that one. Again, conditions are a sketch.

The hookup between the north and south foothills requires a lengthy detour onto residential pavement. Aside from the detour, it's all singletrack. That out and back, especially if a long loop was taken through the north foothills (up to the Pino trailhead, and through Pearl's Dive), could easily run 4 hours.

·
Fragilie
866 Posts
crapscoop said:
That would be great! I can drive no problem, any of those days would work for me.

Sounds great. When are you available? I'm down to go whenever.

And would this ride be mostly singletrack? Either way, I'm down to ride. When can you go?

:band:
I can do this particular ride either Saturday or Sunday when you're in town.

·
off to ride
182 Posts
if you guys don't mind a noob going with, I'd like to check out WM with you. I've never been, and would like to go with some people who know the area.

I know MTB123 has said it's a not too challenging, just a few areas that will make the butt pucker, so having a guide around so I know what to expect might help.

if I'm available when you guys go, I'll meet up - and can car pool with someone as well. I have a Thule rack that can hold 2, maybe one more since it's a 3, but not sure if 3 would fit, never tried before.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.