Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pardon me,
Just thought I would see if any of you across the state line want to come up and over to Gallup May 21st and 22nd to try and win some cash.

May 21st - Road Criterium - $1500 purse
May 22nd am - Road Sprints $1500 purse
May 22nd pm - MTB Race $3000 purse, plus prizes

go to www.squashblossomclassic.com

Spread the word if you don't mind, Gallup is trying to recover from its old reputation as "Drunk City USA" to "Single-track City USA", and we are getting a good start.

The High Desert Trail is awsome - 23 miles of fast, rolling, at times very technical and beautifull pure single-track just minutes from town... by bike... and when your out there you you can't even tell how close you are except for from the towering mesa top vistas over looking town.

On a side note:
Not that this is climbing forum, but we also have a pretty nice sport climbing area 10 minutes from downtown with about 40 or so 5.5 to 5.12 sport climbs, aditional top rope anchors, and a nice parking lot that is a 30 second to 5 minute walk from every climb.

Hope you don't mind a New Mexican butting in and shamelessly promoting his town.

Adios,

Sea Cay

·
I am Walt
6,393 Posts
Gallup Trails Coordinator said:
Pardon me,
Just thought I would see if any of you across the state line want to come up and over to Gallup May 21st and 22nd to try and win some cash.

May 21st - Road Criterium - $1500 purse
May 22nd am - Road Sprints $1500 purse
May 22nd pm - MTB Race $3000 purse, plus prizes

go to www.squashblossomclassic.com

Spread the word if you don't mind, Gallup is trying to recover from its old reputation as "Drunk City USA" to "Single-track City USA", and we are getting a good start.

The High Desert Trail is awsome - 23 miles of fast, rolling, at times very technical and beautifull pure single-track just minutes from town... by bike... and when your out there you you can't even tell how close you are except for from the towering mesa top vistas over looking town.

On a side note:
Not that this is climbing forum, but we also have a pretty nice sport climbing area 10 minutes from downtown with about 40 or so 5.5 to 5.12 sport climbs, aditional top rope anchors, and a nice parking lot that is a 30 second to 5 minute walk from every climb.

Hope you don't mind a New Mexican butting in and shamelessly promoting his town.

Adios,

Sea Cay
Pretty good beta...

What's the weather like in the summer?

5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Summers can get pretty hot, but usually it fluctuates between 75 and 85 during the day and can drop to the low 40s in the evening. No one in Gallup pays attention to the weather forecasters, they can't predict anything here. If you ask me, the weather is always great in Gallup. We have our "monsoon" season at the end of summer, but that just means we get a few thundershowers here and there. Enough to keep the trails from getting too dusty.

Come and Race!

·
I am Walt
6,393 Posts
Gallup Trails Coordinator said:
The Summers can get pretty hot, but usually it fluctuates between 75 and 85 during the day and can drop to the low 40s in the evening.
lol...I live in the Phoenix area - that's not hot!

I also climb, so it sounds like one could enjoy a nice climbing/MTBing trip.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Post some pictures of the trails..

I don't know if I could take that kind of heat, but the real selling point would be some cool trail pictures.

It also appears to me that a reputation as the drunk capital and a mountain bike destination are not mutually exclusive...

·
Registered
691 Posts
wezzhead said:
I don't know if I could take that kind of heat, but the real selling point would be some cool trail pictures.

It also appears to me that a reputation as the drunk capital and a mountain bike destination are not mutually exclusive...
I don't have any pictures, and have never been there. However, by coincidence, my #1 riding pardner, who is the AZ State Expert Womens XC champion and pretty discriminating about the quality of trails, just happens to have ridden these same Gallop trails about two weeks ago.

She spent two days riding them on an SS, and came back with VERY high praise for the quality of these trails and the beauty of the surroundings, and said she would love to go back again.

I hadn't given it much more thought until I saw this post, but it seems to me they may have a pretty nice thing going there.

Interesting...

John W.

·
I am Walt
6,393 Posts
papajohn said:
I don't have any pictures, and have never been there. However, by coincidence, my #1 riding pardner, who is the AZ State Expert Womens XC champion and pretty discriminating about the quality of trails, just happens to have ridden these same Gallop trails about two weeks ago.

She spent two days riding them on an SS, and came back with VERY high praise for the quality of these trails and the beauty of the surroundings, and said she would love to go back again.

I hadn't given it much more thought until I saw this post, but it seems to me they may have a pretty nice thing going there.

Interesting...

John W.
Aren't there aliens around there, though?

·
Registered
70 Posts
4hours and 45 minutes from Phoenix

papajohn said:

Interesting...

John W.
I checked streets and trips and it calculated 4 hours and 45 minutes from Tempe to Gallup. It might be a nice trip especially if there is a couple of days worth of trails.. I am a little concerned about the drunk aliens however.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.