Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
JackCoul
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience with KCNC company out of Taiwan?
The have a 9-52, 12 speed cassette for $240 and I am wondering if would work with the Sram Eagle XX1? Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks....Jackcoul

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Experience with, yes, that product, no.

They're a high-level machining company, and they charge for their work accordingly. I'd probably not use their cassettes unless it offered something that SRAM or Shimano didn't, but I've used their spacers, clamps, lockrings, etc. Fit and finish are excellent (some machining marks, which some people like, some people dont...), but they've got a funny idea of what the color 'Gold' entails.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,186 Posts
The cut the margins down, sometimes this works, sometimes it does not. I've had some KCNC products and they just did not work, kind of like there's a reason why other stuff weighs more. Not inherently bad, but like the poster above, I wouldn't go that reason. Remember, a 9t gets very inefficient due to the friction, it doesn't do you any good in the real world IMO and only introduces problems. X01 level cassettes are a great value comparatively (the weight of XX1 and just as durable). Not cheap, but I'd go that route first. More than likely, the KCNC version uses more aluminum, which will be softer and wear faster, not even getting to discussing ultimate strength.

·
JackCoul
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Jayem...your right the 9 tooth will wear out faster. I was mostly interested in the 52 tooth because I am an old guy and a slow climer. I do ok with my 50t but always looking for a lower gear. I appreciate both of your input and agree so I will go with the XO1.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,186 Posts
Thanks Jayem...your right the 9 tooth will wear out faster. I was mostly interested in the 52 tooth because I am an old guy and a slow climer. I do ok with my 50t but always looking for a lower gear. I appreciate both of your input and agree so I will go with the XO1.
You also gotta realize how small of a difference 52 is to 50, 2 teeth there is way way less of a change than going 2 teeth smaller on your chainring. As the rear cog sets get bigger, 48, 50, 52, etc., the difference of + or - a tooth or two is much less than if the gears were smaller. If you're looking for easier climbing, a 28t up front would be a far better idea, and don't let anyone convince you that you "need" a 10 or 9t to "go fast", most of going fast is about how fast you turn the pedals, not what gear you actually have while doing so. That's what I notice racing XC, DH and what I notice that singlespeeders do as well. In other words, keeping cadence up makes a much bigger difference. Although it may "feel" like the smaller gears can make you go "faster", you can do the same by increasing your cadence and it's likely that cadence is closer to optimal anyway, rather than turning the larger gears slowly (relatively).

·
Registered
9 Posts
I bought the 9-52 cassette from R2 Bike and the chain falls in the last 3 big cogs when doing backpedal. I put on a new chain and he keeps doing it. Crank at the front is a 32t boost 3mm offset. My bike is a Specialized Epic Expert 2018 1x12 full Eagle XX1 and had no issues with the Eagle 10-50. It seems as the chain looks crossed. Somebody told me to use a 6mm offset chainring other told me to use a 28t instead of a 32t. Also I don't know why the last 3 cogs skipped the chain on torque. I'm from Puerto Rico.

·
JackCoul
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes Fitmanboricua that is exactly what mine is doing and I am running a 28t oval chain ring up front on my 2018 S-Works Epic. I have sent an email to the USA rep and they are contacting the KCNC company for an an answer to this problem. As soon as I hear from them I will let you know what they say.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It looks like the chainline is crossed. People are telling me to use a 6mm offset chainring. I don't know. I also wrote to KCNC but nothing. If only I could use a spacer on the XD to push outward the cassette to be in line with the chainring

·
Registered
9 Posts
Falling chain 9-52 KCNC

I don't think it matters the brand or size, its the off set that will move the chain inward so the angle to the large coggs are not so extreme.
Having problems with chainline and falling chains. Changed 3mm offset to 6mm offset and still chain falls off on backpedaling. Also chain skips cog 9,10,12. Looks like the crank needs to go in more

·
JackCoul
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I put the 6mm offset on mine and it did improve it. With the flat chain ring as soon as you started to back peddle the chain would start to come off of the large cassette and drop off. With the 6mm off set you can back peddle about 3/4 of a revolution and then the chain will drop off, but that is enough for me. If I need to reposition my peddles while stop't on the trail it works just fine. Just rode a 32 mile ride with no issues at all, cassette worked flawlessly. I am now very happy with the cassette, now just have to wait and see how long it lasts.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I put the 6mm offset on mine and it did improve it. With the flat chain ring as soon as you started to back peddle the chain would start to come off of the large cassette and drop off. With the 6mm off set you can back peddle about 3/4 of a revolution and then the chain will drop off, but that is enough for me. If I need to reposition my peddles while stop't on the trail it works just fine. Just rode a 32 mile ride with no issues at all, cassette worked flawlessly. I am now very happy with the cassette, now just have to wait and see how long it lasts.
Happened the same with me. I just ordered a MRP wave 32t 7mm offset to see what happens. Also checked the rear derailleur hanger and it was loose. Still the chain skips the 9th cog on torque. But I rode 28 miles in trails and loved the cassette.

·
Registered
5 Posts
just bumping this in case there are any updates around resolution of the backpedal and cog-jumping issues? I'm wondering if the cog-jumping is due to use of aluminium cogs wearing too quickly and not retaining the chain? Or is the problem purely chain alignment?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.