Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
I just sold my bomberstrap. A couple of things I did not like about it.
- It moved around alot, no matter how tight i had the strap.Usually the strap/bike would slide 8-10" in either direction if i took a turn.
- The front wheel / tire needs to be covered or it will rub against your tailgate. I have anew truck and that didn't sit well.

This is just my opinion FWIW

·
Bikesexual
7,568 Posts
I just sold my bomberstrap. A couple of things I did not like about it.
- It moved around alot, no matter how tight i had the strap.Usually the strap/bike would slide 8-10" in either direction if i took a turn.
- The front wheel / tire needs to be covered or it will rub against your tailgate. I have anew truck and that didn't sit well.

This is just my opinion FWIW
Glad you posted that, and had read something about the front wheel issue. I just thought for a single bike is no too bad.

I run a 1up but have considered a pad as back up for more bikes. My buddy has a RaceFace that did well on our trip to Sedona.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
I have a Yakima gatekeeper pad that is really nice, but don't use it for solo, local trips. When I'm just going across town, I just fold up a beach towel, put it over the tailgate to prevent tire rub, and put a cut piece of that denser pipe insulation on the frame, where it makes contact. Then use a bungee strap over the frame at the seat tube/top tube junction. Rear wheel up against the wheel well. Works just fine, nothing moves, and is way quicker.

With my alum bike, I would just lay it over in the bed, with a bungee snaked through it, just in case. Also worked fine, but I'm not doing that to my carbon baby, even though the frame doesn't actually touch. Just bar end, pedal, and tires, but still....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.