Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Got a suspension fork
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning I rode the same route that I did a week ago, in between those two rides somebody totally cleaned all the big loose rocks on a section of 1A. Just so happens that I hated that section of trail, it's loose and dangerous to descent, and harder than snot to climb for the same reasons.

You may think I'm happy that somebody cleaned it by moving all the rocks to the side... NO WAY. I can't believe it. Leave the trail as it is, it was challenging and difficult, now it's so easy peasy it's a waste. In the picture below you can see the entire right side of the trail is now cleared of rocks. I wonder if this was an official cleanup job or if some individuals took it upon themselves. Either way I sure am not happy with the results.

The location is on trail 1A approximately right here.

click on the image for a larger size

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,652 Posts
I like cleaning me some tail, not at Dreamy Draw though.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
If that is the southbound uphill on the eastern end- I was there a week and a half ago and it didn't look like that.

·
Bloodied but Unbowed
1,498 Posts
You're wearing a slip? *shrug* To each their own.

Back on track, agreed, the trail cleaning suckles. I wonder if it was for the safety of people perambulating or the equines doing something similar. I am curious if it was sanctioned or not. If not, then very bad.

While that climb was hard, it also presented a formidable challenge. I have only cleaned it on the way up a few times and when I did it felt great. Descending requires paying attention and was also certainly treacherous but it was a good test of bike control.

Like you point out, the cleaned out version seems like it'll take the challenge out of it either way. Bummer.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Know exactly where that is. Looser than snot. Not my favorite.....but I feel pretty good when I only have to stop once (although it's really hard to start up again if you stop). And hikers look at me like I'm nuts (why do hikers always say "I don't know how do you do that"?) Easily amazed.

I would think if it were official, they would clear the whole trail, not a small channel that look like it would funnel the water down the trail.

That said, let me ask you a couple of questions (devil's advocate mode on):

-Do you think when the trail was first built, it looked like that?
-Do you think the builders of the trail intended it to look like that?
-How did those rocks get there?
-Would you like those same rocks on other parts of the trail?
-How is that "cleaning" the trail different from other trails on the PMP with rocks with a small path cleared from folks using the trail? Do you ride over the loose rocks vs. the cleared path on these trails?

I'm all for more challenging trails, that's how you get better. If those were all embedded rocks, it would be a pretty cool trail. But who likes to ride on gravel? I don't see people stoked to ride on gravel roads. Since that trails is basically a fall like trail anyway, at some point it's probably going to look like that again. That's how those rocks got there in the first place, from water traveling right down the trail.

Just some things to think about...

·
Registered
5,785 Posts
I'm not a trail builder so I could be mistaken. But that looks like it will funnel water down the trail and cause erosion.

My best was one stop and then finishing it off. Not happy for the change.

·
Eroding into the trail
897 Posts
This morning I rode the same route that I did a week ago, in between those two rides somebody totally cleaned all the big loose rocks on a section of 1A. Just so happens that I hated that section of trail, it's loose and dangerous to descent, and harder than snot to climb for the same reasons.

You may think I'm happy that somebody cleaned it by moving all the rocks to the side... NO WAY. I can't believe it. Leave the trail as it is, it was challenging and difficult, now it's so easy peasy it's a waste. In the picture below you can see the entire right side of the trail is now cleared of rocks. I wonder if this was an official cleanup job or if some individuals took it upon themselves. Either way I sure am not happy with the results.

The location is on trail 1A approximately right here.

click on the image for a larger size

:yikes:
Tail Cleaning in Dreamy Draw
Further adding to the "allure" of DD!

·
Registered
542 Posts
That's some ****ed up looking trail alright both the original and the new soon to be gutter.

I have done some trail work and that does not look like anything that was built to be a trail. Looks more like an old jeep trail. I have never been there so I have no idea how the trail came into being in the first place.

A couple of observations first yes the new cleared section will likely erode and will soon look just like the rest.

Then who would do such a thing?

Doesn't look very official if you wanted to clear a line and have it stay that way I would think water bars would be in order.

So is it hikers, makes sense as that rocky trail likely sucks to walk on.

Or is it your fellow bikers, also makes sense that it could be some less experienced riders or even an experienced rider who is just sick of walking.

As has been stated who ever did it they likely think they are doing everybody a favor. They likely gave no consideration to the fact that it will just cause further erosion. In today's instant gratification society there are plenty of people who would only care about themselves and their ride/hike this week or month or season.

I am going to guess it's an ex roadie turned wannabe XC racer type, when this kind of thing was happening in Tucson that's who I caught doing it. The guy had been riding 6 months and thought that if he couldn't clean that section that nobody could.

·
Black and Sticky
771 Posts
That's more than just moving a large rock or two to improve a line. Someone worked so hard to move all that material, it almost makes me wonder if it's the beginning of some official trail "improvements." If that is official, sure hope they install some erosion control. On the other hand, I've been trail running and riding that piece of 1A for many years, both ways, and I've always had the feeling that the loose rocks piled up on the trail right there were not exactly a natural feature either. In any case, I prefer the pre-improvement version.

Bob

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Give it time....there are more rocks under the dirt you see now. We get spodes with acute vaginitis a lot around here; nature always provides the cure.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
That's some ****ed up looking trail alright both the original and the new soon to be gutter.

I have done some trail work and that does not look like anything that was built to be a trail. Looks more like an old jeep trail. I have never been there so I have no idea how the trail came into being in the first place.
The charm of the whole PMP (and any of the older preserves....I'm looking at you SoMo) is the hodge-podge of trails. Some are old jeep trails, some old horse trails (does Perl Charles ring a bell?), random social trails of indeterminate origin, and some new construction (VOAZ, Irregular Link).

I'm going to guess that this trail was not built with sustainability in mind (shocker, I know). It's pretty much a fall line trail. And as such, over the years, you get piles and piles of rocks tumbling down following the water.

The person who did the "work" probably thought they were helping. In fact, it'll make the trail worse over time.....if that's possible. Maybe someone should alert the park?

·
Registered
5,785 Posts
Well if they are going to alter it. Lets add some asphalt and a white line down the center. Don't forget to add the signs. Stating keep dogs on leash at all times and don't feed the ducks.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.