Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
241 - 260 of 1028 Posts

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Any reason a Kris Holm 29er rim wouldn't work as well as the RH? 47mm and double walled.
My quick search didn't come up with anything, but do they make those in 32h? What's the weight? Seems like it would work just fine. Too bad I already bought 32h Paul Whub.

Just FYI for anyone looking for a Whub. Search on eBay. $126 shipped. There should be 3 left. Just ordered mine yesterday.

·
hispanic mechanic
2,686 Posts
sslos - I'm planning on one next year. It's a 50 miler, but may also do a 24hr. I had a Nimnle 9 until a month ago, so I'll try to post up a brief review.
Well, sounds like just the person I need to hear from!
I've done a really rocky, technical, punishing 50 mile (El Paso Puzzler,) and a smoother 100 mile (High Cascades 100,) on my Nimble 9.
While I love the N9, I've always been curious about the Jones geometry. I had a great, hour or so long conversation with Jeff back around 2001, but the finances to get a Jones built Ti frame never happened. I guess the steel diamond frames have made me "Tai" curious...

Los

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
It's a total leap of faith. I love the N9, but couldn't swing both at the same time. So sold the N9 and ordered the diamond/unicrown. If I end up liking the geo, my plan is to sell that and get the spaceframe/truss fork. The "full rigid" part has me worried, but I'm going to outfit it with Rabbit Hole/Knard to take a bit of the sting away.

If I don't like it, I'm going back to a N9 or Yelli.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
sslos: fwiw ive ridden quite a few 12 hour races, 100mile east coast USA and UK races on my jones over the years,as well as long rides not racing - its a merlin built ti frame and truss fork. In terms of handling its fantastic...no issues. great position for longer races. I *do* sometimes find the truss fork/enve rim combo beats me up a little on very long rocky races, but its hard to say if this is any more than you'd expect given its a fully rigid bike. my guess is a unicrown would be slightly more forgiving. the true beauty of the truss is the rigidity when you stuff it into a corner or rocks or brake hard...

·
hispanic mechanic
2,686 Posts
sslos: fwiw ive ridden quite a few 12 hour races, 100mile east coast USA and UK races on my jones over the years,as well as long rides not racing - its a merlin built ti frame and truss fork. In terms of handling its fantastic...no issues. great position for longer races. I *do* sometimes find the truss fork/enve rim combo beats me up a little on very long rocky races, but its hard to say if this is any more than you'd expect given its a fully rigid bike. my guess is a unicrown would be slightly more forgiving. the true beauty of the truss is the rigidity when you stuff it into a corner or rocks or brake hard...
I appreciate the feedback! I really don't know exactly why I'm considering this bike. I'm very happy with how my Nimble 9 rides. I guess I'm just itching for something different.
I want to try one before I decide on a custom. I still have major lust for a Vertigo like yours...

Los

·
1,254 Posts
Few proper rides on mine now. The assessments in this thread are pretty spot on. I've never been able to take some of the chunky sections on a rigid as fast as the Jones. Although I've got wide rims and tires than my other rigid bikes which probably greatly contributed to that. Techy down sections were spectacular.

I jumped into this blindly without a test ride or fit. I'm 5'11" and it fits great. I also love the Loop bar for its multiple hand positions and sweep. EBB has been flawless, as I installed per instructions (plenty of lube and 190 in/lb torque).

One negative? Weight. I'm at 27.5 lbs running singlespeed with above average parts. I can definitely feel this compared to my Niner which is right at 20 lbs.

But I believe there is an advantage to the heft. It's like driving my 2,700 lb sedan vs my 5,000 lb SUV. A little snow slosh on the road or slight bump, and my sedan gets bounced around, where my SUV keeps going in its line of path. I noticed the same where the Jones will hold its line much better through the chunk. Maybe it's the weight, maybe geo, I don't know, but it works. I'm going to keep testing this for the rest of the season and if I'm still in love, I'll be ordering the spaceframe.

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
Yes, diamond/uni combo.
Cool. I highly recommend the truss fork, especially for chunk. When you say you are going to order the spaceframe, do you mean in titanium? If you're thinking the steel spaceframe, I recommend you seek out one of Enel's other threads titled "fraternal twins". He compares the spaceframe to the diamond frame in steel. He makes a good case for the diamond frame.

241 - 260 of 1028 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.