Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am heading to Tahoe tomorrow and was looking for advice on trails. I have ridden The Flume and the Rim Trail. I also rode something called the Chinese Downhill which sucked becuase motorcylces screwed it up.

I am planning on doing a shuttle deal at Northstar Park. I have never done that before so it should be interestin on my 1" travel Dos Niner.

Any suggestions for other rides would be appreciated. I am planning on riding the Flume again because I am meeting a buddy up there and although it is an easy ride you can't beat the views.

thanks in advance,
ross

·
Registered
60 Posts
You might want to consult the NorCal forum, but if it were me, and I could only ride my bike for one more week in my life, I'd spend it all in Tahoe City on the north shore. The single track between Tahoe City and Northstar has so many options it is not even funny. The Tahoe Rim trail runs through there, and it is fantastic. It can most directly be accessed from the west side of Brockway summit, I believe highway 276 on the way to Northstar from the lake. There are about a million single track options diverting from it, and they are so flowy and fun it's ridiculous. It is similar to Flagstaff, but much more extensive. You can't get too lost with the lake being such a good reference. The nice thing is, you're unlikely to encounter anyone out there. There's alot of climbing, so if you're not into that you won't like the suggestion. But if you like to climb and descend forever under the canopy of gigantic trees all by yourself, enjoy.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,661 Posts
"The Punisher" is a great ride, from Heavenly Ski Resort on the Nevada side, up the TRT, eventually you get to come down Mr Toads Wild Ride. Long miles, lots of vert, great ride. Mr Toads is a blast.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mr toads is on my ride list for this trip. Truckee I am staying with my brother on his sailboat on the lake. (southshore) Also Truckee I like buff single track, tech is good, I am not a huckster.

ross

·
Just another half mile...
1,092 Posts
I have riden "The Punisher" a couple of times over the years. Great ride, but tuff due to altitude and hitting Mr. Toads at the end when you pretty wiped out. My fav is the TRT from Tahoa Meadows south picking up Flume and then dropping down on Chimney Spring trail. Then you cross the highway and take a little fun single track along the lake to Secret Cove where you can strip to cool off. Here's my MAP of the route. It's not as tuff as the "The Punisher", but has a lot more flow to it. The only catch with the route, bikes are only allowed on this section of the TRT on even days.

Jayem said:
"The Punisher" is a great ride, from Heavenly Ski Resort on the Nevada side, up the TRT, eventually you get to come down Mr Toads Wild Ride. Long miles, lots of vert, great ride. Mr Toads is a blast.

Attachments

·
Kathleen in AZ
5,179 Posts
ruzz said:
mr toads is on my ride list for this trip. Truckee I am staying with my brother on his sailboat on the lake. (southshore) Also Truckee I like buff single track, tech is good, I am not a huckster.

ross
speaking of buff singletrack, how about singetrack in the buff? yes, there is a nudist beach along Dale's route and I can't believe he posted a pic :p

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,661 Posts
Epicrider said:
I have riden "The Punisher" a couple of times over the years. Great ride, but tuff due to altitude and hitting Mr. Toads at the end when you pretty wiped out
Well, for me it's just like a ride up at Flagstaff, start at 7000, go up to 10,000, then end up at lake level (6200). Not a big deal to me, but easily could be for sea level riders. It's called the punisher because it's somewhat difficult, but it has some great downhill with amazing flow. I highly recommend Mr Toads Wild Ride (and there are other ways to do it than the "Punisher").

·
Chunky Monkey
413 Posts
Nude

DurtGurl said:
speaking of buff singletrack, how about singetrack in the buff? yes, there is a nudist beach along Dale's route and I can't believe he posted a pic :p
Your avatar????:thumbsup: Please don't get me wrong, but (no pun intended) I have tried everthing to enlarge that pic....

Thx. John

·
"Yabut"
838 Posts
Epicrider said:
I have riden "The Punisher" a couple of times over the years. Great ride, but tuff due to altitude and hitting Mr. Toads at the end when you pretty wiped out. My fav is the TRT from Tahoa Meadows south picking up Flume and then dropping down on Chimney Spring trail. Then you cross the highway and take a little fun single track along the lake to Secret Cove where you can strip to cool off. Here's my MAP of the route. It's not as tuff as the "The Punisher", but has a lot more flow to it. The only catch with the route, bikes are only allowed on this section of the TRT on even days.
Hey, thanks Dale. I will be in Tahoe in a couple weeks. This looks like a good ride.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.