Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
aka baycat
8,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Favorite day. On the single speed it hurt going up and down.

Christmas Valley and Toad's. Shooting mode on camera was off.

Attachments

·
Registered
759 Posts
Looks like you had a nice weekend. Did you stage out of Big Meadow and ride to Christmas Vlly then back up to TRT to Toads? I'm hoping to get one more Tahoe ride in this year.

·
aka dan51
6,021 Posts
Awesome weekend.
I'm still high from that Toads run. Best trail ever!!!!
I forgot how hard the climb is to get to Toads from Big Meadows. At sea level it would be way easier.

I'll post some pics tomorrow.

Passenger13 said:
Looks like you had a nice weekend. Did you stage out of Big Meadow and ride to Christmas Vlly then back up to TRT to Toads? I'm hoping to get one more Tahoe ride in this year.
We were lazy and had enough capacity to shuttle all road climbs :D Even the road from X-mas to Big Meadows. All pedaling started at Big Meadows parking lot.

-Dan

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Baycat likes taking pics of my arse!

great weekend. Too much tequila. well, maybe just the right amount.

·
Totally, and to the max.
2,555 Posts
Awesome! It was a great weekend to be up there. Not crowded but not empty. Sunny but cool enough to feel like autumn. The only thing nicer would be some quaking aspens. That's next month I guess. Sounds like you had the right amount of riding fun/non-riding fun ratio. Everything is pretty dusty up there but still cannot be beat.

I fixed one of your photos for ya...

Attachments

·
aka baycat
8,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ahh thanks Kyle. Photoshop?

I got some good shots of the lake, but it has that almost red hue to it. Camera setting got wonky.

·
gimme friction
1,115 Posts
Egg-selent pics. Ryan, you're an animal on a singlespeed for a weekend like that. I'm afraid...

Dude on the Mojo gots mad rock-hopping skillz.

HITG rawks. I'm bummed to have only made it up there once this year. And did not ride DRT.

It looks like upper Toad's was a powder-fest. That trail needs some love.

Lower Toad's = bestest trail EVAR!!

·
aka baycat
8,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No need to be. Single speed was great at HITG and on TRT. At Toad's it was good because it was lighter to push on the sections I could not ride. And descending was fun but the wrists are not digging it today.

But Lower Toad's was fun, fun, fun.

·
Super Moderator
8,633 Posts
baycat said:
Rafael. Dugong says hi!

Nice pics Dan.
HEY!....you got a snap of Plim swimming.....cool..;)

on a side note....i miss mtn biking.....the road is getting dull.....your trip looked awesome....wahhhhhh......

·
Totally, and to the max.
2,555 Posts
Dan, your shots just keep getting better. Good job capturing the time and place in some of those photos.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Hey guys, those are great pics. What do you recommend for a 2-3 hour fun, scenic ride in the Tahoe area. I'm from So Cal and going to be up with a couple of friends to do the Xterra in a couple of weeks, so we'll be on the Flume and part of the Tahoe Rim for the race. We plan to stay and do a ride the next day.

Some decent climbing is okay, looking for fun, singletrack descents, but we probably want to keep it on the intermediate side from a technical perspective. Actually thought the race course was awesome (did it last year too), but want to try another trail.

Thanks!

·
I'm disrespectful to dirt
479 Posts
Hey Ryan - cool shots... I think it went wonky when I set it to manual mode for the burst photo mode... must have then been put into some non-optimal ISO and/or white balance mode. Did you ever get it set back to full auto? Perhaps K-max can tell you the photoshop workflow he used to fix 'em...

A great weekend of riding... even with the shuttle screwup from the bike shop and Dan's farting. I just need to be sure to ride some more before heading up to altitude, and the tequila, beer and whisky at night didn't help either!

·
Registered
759 Posts
If you have two cars you can leave one car at the end of Onietas Rd which is off of Pioneer Trail Rd (close to where it meets HWY 50 on the California side), then drive from Pioneer Trail Rd to HWY50, left onto HWY 89 towards Myers and start your ride from the Big Meadow trailhead. Take the TRT up to the top of Armstrong Pass (about 9 miles with about 7 of those on a gradual uphill). Make a left off of the TRT where the sign post reads "Onietas Rd" and enjoy the 5 miles of flowing downhill to the end of the trail. You will cross a bridge and then cross a paved road to take the Upper Corral Connector trail (this is the most technical section and you may have to walk a few of the drops/switchbacks), this will take you to the Corral Trail which is less rocky and full of swooping turns and whoop-t-do's. Your ride ends at Poweline about 9 miles after your first descent off of the TRT You will make a left on Poweline and follow that to the paved road that will lead you back to your dropped car. If you don't have two cars, it is about 3-5 miles of road back the Big Meadow trailhead. This ride is easily researched, but I recommend a good trail map anyway. Approx 20 mi with 9+miles of downhill singletrack :thumbsup: Good luck.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts