Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there! Who else is doing the Leadville Qualifier at Northstar in a couple weeks?

My first marathon race with two 33ish mile laps! I've done a couple 8 hour races and was on a 4-man team for a 24 hour but I'm sure this will be a little harder with the high altitude :)

Anyways, my intention on starting this thread was to get information about I should put in my bag for the bag drop location (see course map here -http://www.leadvillequalifiers.com/media/pdf/laketahoe_route.pdf) Since this is my first marathon race, I have no experience in this. With the 8/24 hour races you just keep looping around and I have a cooler with food/water etc.. as I keep circling around for hours on end.

What do people normally put in their bags? Are you usually just allowed 1 bag?

Thanks for the info! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5 Posts
You get 1 bag for the bag drop and it can be any type of bag as long as it's not extremely large. People normally pre-fill bottles with their favorite carbohydrate drink (or a coke) and put them into a mini-cooler. When riders arrive to the bag drop station they just swap out their current bottles for the fresh ones. This is also a good place to put your extra gear if you started out with warmers or a wind vest due to the early start time.

The bags are self-serve but are lined up in number order for easy access.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Two of us are coming from Colorado, mainly because my brother lives there and it was a chance to ride and visit. Hoping for a lottery spot. I did the Bailey Hundo in June as my first endurance race. I have seen the course profile and description. Has anyone actually ridden it? Thanks for the info on the bag drop. Any info on the aid stations other than what is on the site? Thanks.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Glad I stumbled across this thread. This will be my first 100k race as well. I didn't really know what the whole drop bag deal was about either. I'm used to the "pit" style races like you mentioned. So, with that said, looks like I'll be throwing a few extra bottles, and snacks into a bag for this purpose. And like mentioned, plan on dropping the arm warmers here after the first lap, seeing as the race starts at 6:30am and should be chilly. I took part in the 8 hour race up there a couple weeks ago, and it overlaps a few miles of the course. It was soaking wet(read: water flowing down the roads, snow drifts, etc) but should be dry by now, and fast! I ordered some faster rolling tires, seeing as such a large part of the race is fire-roads, and hard pack. Any additional info for first timers would be much appreciated!!!

·
Registered
251 Posts
I'm in too for my first 100k. Thanks for the info on the bags. I'm sure we'll here plenty of info at the rider meeting on Saturday. Nice it's the day before and not in the morning so we have a little prep time if needed.

How cold is it that early and what time does it start to heat up?

·
Registered
105 Posts
I can't comment on the temperature exactly, as I'm down in Reno(about 3,000 feet lower), but typically it's about 10 degree cooler up at Tahoe. So it'll be brisk in the morning. Most likely in the mid 40's according to the forecast. It warms up quickly once some sun starts peeking through the trees and over the mountains. I'm planning on just wearing my bibs, and a short sleeve jersey with arm warmers(maybe knee warmers too) for the first lap, then removing them. I plan on staying pretty well bundled up right until race time, then shedding the layers and relying on activity to keep me warm.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've been looking at the temperature in the morning and it's been in the 30's and in the low-mid 50's by the 10 o'clock hour. I'm sure by noon it will be well into the 60's with a high of near 80 for Saturday, but that probably wont hit till 2-4pm? Should be done by then :)

So definately a cool race to begin with, definately brining arm warmers for the 1st lap! If you get to hot during the lap just roll them down to your wrist.

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
6:30 AM start time seems crazy early for a 100K race. Bundle up for sure, but at altitude it always feels warmer than what the temperature says.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I agree. It seems really early to me too! It's daylight till 8pm up here, and yet they're ending the race at 3pm... Would've been nice to push it back two hours... Looks like a 3:30am wakeup time for me.

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
Given that the race is Sunday, at least we won't get back to the bay area too late. Presumably if you are finishing at 3, you didn't qualify.

Curious as to how many people plan on going to Leadville if they qualify in this race and how many people are riding because it looks like a great race? With the push back in date, it doesn't leave much time to plan a trip.

·
Registered
105 Posts
The cutoff is at 3pm I believe. Definitely planning on finishing way before that... I'm racing it just to race it. This will be my first 100k race, and I'm mostly doing it to test to myself, and also as a qualifier for the Tahoe 100 Miler next month. Not looking to get to Leadville (although an invite would be awesome bragging rights). Also, as a note... I'm doing it single speed, and seeing as only 2 people have registered single speed thus far, I can't see there being any Leadville spots up for grabs.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I'm going just to race. Can't go to Leadville if I happen to get in. I'll be on a single speed also. Mainly going to challenge myself and see how I do. I did the 60k race in Cedar City, UT a couple weeks ago and felt good about that. Thinking about it though, I don't think I've ever ridden my bike more than 55 miles before and that was an easy road ride.

Where can you see who's registered?

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Given that the race is Sunday, at least we won't get back to the bay area too late. Presumably if you are finishing at 3, you didn't qualify.

Curious as to how many people plan on going to Leadville if they qualify in this race and how many people are riding because it looks like a great race? With the push back in date, it doesn't leave much time to plan a trip.
Yeah, I'm headed to Sac tonight then Tahoe Saturday morning to relax and swim.

I don't care about Leadville. If I could go, I would but it's $275 plus more money & time to go to Colorado. Maybe another time :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
Cool, should be a great time on Sunday. Of all the events I have done, Leadville was one of the best run and so was another done by AEG, so I think this should be good.

Already in for Leadville, so just looking for a good race and some training.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Well.... What a day! The race went very well! Course was awesome, those two big climbs had the legs burning, but I must say the single speed really helped, in that it didn't give me the chance to granny it up the hills.
I had hoped to finish in 6 hours, and crossed the line at 5:08... And the cherry on top, I'm going to Leadville!!! I had no plans, intentions, or idea that I could even come close to qualifying. But, seeing as I did, I kind of feel like it's an opportunity I have to go for. I just started cycling in January, not even purchasing my first mountain bike till then, and since then it's become everything to me. So this seems like a logical(slightly illogical, ha) progression to making it something more than just a hobby for me. I'm only looking for a finish at Leadville. To even just to line up with the greatest, in the greatest race, is something worth going for.
The next three weeks are going to be hectic. I'm going to try and see what kind of "sponsors" I can get on board, or parts, or money I can raise, to lighten the load of the last minute trip.

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
Congratulations. 5 hours is a great time on that course and should translate to a really fast Leadville time.

That was a fun course, with quite a bit more single track than I was expecting. When I came in to my pit area at the halfway point to grab a couple new bottles and some lube and Dave Wiens came and ripped my bike away to throw it on the stand. All I heard was him say "lube" and I tried to hang on to it until I turned around and realized who it was.

Ended up using my own lube after all, since I didn't think the wet lube he put on would have held up all that well.

·
Natural body armor
2,176 Posts
More fun than I expected, course was really fast and the gravel made even the fireroad descends interesting.
Comfortably finished in 5:51. Aid stations could have been stocked a little better and course marked little more: on the fireroad DH or flats I kept slowing down wondering if I was still on course.
Other than that a great day.
Anybody got links to pics or official results?

ZT

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
More fun than I expected, course was really fast and the gravel made even the fireroad descends interesting.
Comfortably finished in 5:51. Aid stations could have been stocked a little better and course marked little more: on the fireroad DH or flats I kept slowing down wondering if I was still on course.
Other than that a great day.
Anybody got links to pics or official results?

ZT
I agree, more fun than expected. The fireroad descents with the gravel (I think that was forest service road o6?) were sketchy at times! The first climb to mid mountain wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. It was a pretty smooth & fast course which was good, didn't beat you to death. I did have some close calls g I felt good going into lap #2. I only went through 2 water bottles, 1/2 bottle of hammer perpeteum, 4 hammer gels & 1/2 PB&J sandwich for the whole race. I only stopped at the beginning of lap #2 to relieve myself, get a sandwich and lube my chain and off I went! I paced myself well though, 11.2mph for 1st lap, 11.5mph for 2nd lap (about 2.5 hr per lap), so consistent :)

2nd lap was definately hotter (but less dust!) with the sun beating down on you going up the final big climb after aid station #2. My chain got stuck between my spokes and cassette right before that medic/aid-station a couple miles before the finish, that sucked but I got it undone. Turns out, a guy was only 20 seconds in front of me! Damn chain :D

I need a new cassette though, brand new chain and boy! was it skipping in the middle cogs in the back. Everything else was in good working order. Came in 5 hour 22 minutes! 1st place was 4 hours 3 minutes? Super fast!

Goodjob finishing everyone and good luck to those who are going to Leadville!

Here is my garmin tracks -
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/101539877

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,520 Posts
Hey guys I was there as a "spectator" as my brother and his buddy were racing. I have some great pics that I got of a lot of riders and will post them on Picasa/Flickr as soon as I can. Unfortunately, I was unable to get ALL the riders but I think I got a good majority of them as took pics up until my brother came through (think 3:30:xx and 6:22:xx). I am sure that I have pictures of a lot of you guys and if you happened to notice a cameraman out ther with a HUGE Sigma lens that was me. Feel free to look through the pictures and if you want a particular one I will be more than happy to share full res. file with you..

GOOD JOB ALL!!! And I hope to be out there next to you guys next year!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts