Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
According to the TRT site, Spooner to Kingsbury is open! And since it has been warm in Tahoe lately, two more weeks ought to take care of most of the remaining snow. Anybody interested in doing Spooner to Kingsbury round trip (25 miles) on July 1st? I already booked a double at the Motel 6.

This is not an easy ride. It starts out with a five mile climb that goes from 7,100 - 8,800 ft. and there are many cool rock "stairs". Warning: I'm slower than most but very enthusiastic, and I never whine. I'll do a video if you stay with me. I'm a big boy and you can leave me if I'm too slow.

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Let me know next week

mtbjtd said:
I might be up for it, pending 4th of July plans. I might even ride the heavy bike to slow me down.
Let me know next week. I'll be slow on that initial climb. But I'm not too bad going down the other side. I'd like to have someone in front of me for a video. And of course we get to come back down that initial five mile climb! It is one of the finest downhills I've ever done.

·
padded
705 Posts
tempting...

What time are u thinking of hitting the trail? Getting away for overnighters is tough but I'll check with the family unit. I rode Spooner to Kingsbury as part of a 9-hr epic last year and have been dying to go back and ride it as an out-n-back.

·
padded
705 Posts
I'm in

if you're still planning to go then count me in. :thumbsup: I'm hoping to go up early Fri (10ish) to avoid the traffic, maybe squeeze in an easy ride (Flume?). I'll pm you to coordinate.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Will be out of town friday. I am going to try to be up there by 0800 unless something comes up. If I am late I will catch up. I may try to push the ride so I can return home earlier. Looking forward to the ride.

·
bike buster
1,197 Posts
After the initial climb, what is the rest of the ride like? I've done Mr. Toad's once and would love to go back to Tahoe for some more riding. It's spectacular there.

Justin

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great!

jdubsl2 said:
After the initial climb, what is the rest of the ride like?
It's really great! Lots of cool rock "stairs" perhaps 1 to 1 1/2 feet and mostly going down on the way out. And that big five mile climb at the start becomes one of the finest downhills I've ever done at the end. Many photos and videos of this ride on my site.

·
bike buster
1,197 Posts
Is the plan to go up Saturday and ride Sunday? That'd be the only way I could do it, but I'm up for it. Unfortunately, I still have to work Saturdays until the weekend of the 8th and 9th.

Ooh... Tahoe one weekend, Downiville the next. It's going to be a rough summer. :-D

Justin

Re-reading the thread it looks like the plan is to go up Friday and ride Saturday. If that's the case, can't make it. :-( :-(

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.