Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
21 - 40 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Uhmmm, well everybody is entitled to their opinion. No need to slag an event that doesn't appeal to you.
I didn't intend to "slag" your race. I would like to do the Tahoe Sierra 100 someday. I just don't like the extra 120 miles of driving for an event that starts in my backyard. If any of you want to come up here for a long training ride on mostly all single track I can accommodate that for you. I do not own a road bike so all of my training is on a rigid single speed. I assure you the trails will not be all buffed out and the technical factor will be moderate to advance. There will be no Starbucks in sight and a water filtration system might be needed. Come on up and lets ride. I really am a nice guy.

·
MTB Racer
56 Posts
Keeping a good sustainable hike-a-bike pace, finishing, and beating the time cut are my goals.

Debating on riding with a dropper post on the HT to make the downhill a little easier.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Keeping a good sustainable hike-a-bike pace, finishing, and beating the time cut are my goals.

Debating on riding with a dropper post on the HT to make the downhill a little easier.
Yup...that is the name of the game for us humans. that is what makes this rac....er...I mean ride so much fun. It is a bit about survival for most riders. It is difficult, there are places that are to steep and difficult to ride, it takes all day, it will hurt. I like this sort of thing...some do, some don't.

See u guys out there

·
I'm a "she".
936 Posts
Whatever you take, a couple of Park Tire Boots would be a wise addition to the camelbak.
Thanks for the information. Yesterday at Downieville, my two day old new tire had the side wall cut open 1 inch. Five layers of duct tape and a tube later, I was able to ride. Wish I had those.

Now, are they like emergency tires -- only meant for getting you back out, or can you continue riding your tire patched with the Tire Boot? Also, can you still run your tire tubeless with Stans after patching?

·
I like mtn biking, too
3,205 Posts
Keep in mind that for various reasons, TS100 is not a "race" this year... it's a very hard, well supported, all-day epic endurance ride. While the fastest finishers will be acknowledged/rewarded, the name of the game is getting more people out to experience this course, whether you want to pin it, or (like me) move along at a good enough clip, while snapping photos, dunking your head in the creeks and fattening up at the awesome aid stations.
Well, now you're talking! I would be into trying it, but does not work out schedule-wise this year. Putting it on the bucket list.

·
Premium Member
2,062 Posts
Thanks for the information. Yesterday at Downieville, my two day old new tire had the side wall cut open 1 inch. Five layers of duct tape and a tube later, I was able to ride. Wish I had those.

Now, are they like emergency tires -- only meant for getting you back out, or can you continue riding your tire patched with the Tire Boot? Also, can you still run your tire tubeless with Stans after patching?
One of my kids ran months with a cut you could push a dime through after I put on a boot. But that was a tubed tire to begin with so it was dry and there was no accumulated latex on the inside of the tire. The advantage of the park boots is that they're adhesive backed and so they dont slide around ; otherwise you can get the job done temporarily with a gel packet, or dollar bill. If you're running tubeless you'll need to scrape off the latex and dry it out to get a good bond with the adhesive that will be lasting. I've never heard of anybody booting and going back to tubeless.

·
mtb'er
4,221 Posts
Wanna get into TS100 for only $30? FATRAC is manning the 3rd Aid Station during the event, a little south of Robinson Flat. They are offering the free TS100 entry they get for manning a booth to someone who joins, renews or donates to FATRAC before July 31. If only one person joins, that person gets the free TS100 entry. If 4 people join, there will be "a name picked out of a hat". So odds are good and even if you don't get the spot, your $ goes to local trail advocacy and you will be part of a growing, enthusiastic bunch of mt. bikers that are determined to get more access to trails in Folsom Lake and Auburn!

FATRAC Tahoe-Sierra 100 Entry Raffle

·
mtb'er
4,221 Posts
FYI: The Western States Safe Trail Alliance has requested that mountain bikers NOT train for the Tahoe-Sierra 100 on any portion of the Western States Trail in the Tahoe National Forest between now and the Tevis Cup, on August 9th... and they apparently are in the ear of the USFS every day about it.

While I believe (via research) that very few TS100 participants actually train/practice on the TS100 course, the USFS has asked the TS100 promoter to spread the word about mt. bikers staying off the trail for the next 18 days. It is unclear if backpackers, dirt bikers, day hikers with dogs, or anyone carrying plastic grocery bags have been asked to avoid the trail during this time period as well.

Thank you for your compliance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Still wondering if anyone wants to connect for shuttling to and from the start/finish? Was planning on staying in Auburn, open to share a ride either way, Uber is an option I suppose.

·
mtb'er
4,221 Posts
Still wondering if anyone wants to connect for shuttling to and from the start/finish? Was planning on staying in Auburn, open to share a ride either way, Uber is an option I suppose.
Given how many people are in the same boat, I'm pretty sure we'll all be able to figure out shuttles, especially as we get closer to the event and people start networking more. Same for the Tahoe guys, who could arrange for a ride back to the start.

·
Sweater
1,949 Posts
You could just hang out at the finish line too and put the word out that you need a ride back to the start. In 2012, we had room for a guy but not his bike while Jimmy had room for a bike but no guy. So we split them up and reunited rider and bike back at the start. A little riskier route but makes for a better story later.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Post Tevis Cup training rides from Robinson Flat

I think I'll head up to Robinson Flat a couple of days after the Tevis Cup (it's a free campground 40 miles into the race course right on the Western States trail portion at 6800 feet elevation and I'll probably get there on the 13th and stay a week or so) and ride some training loops from there to get a preview of some parts of the course. Would be great to have some riding partners out there if anyone is interested!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Last Friday me and 3 others rode WS from Robinson flat to Michigan bluff. Only humans were 3 motorcycle riders. Trail in the canyons is dusty and loose. Either a few days before or just after tevis cup, i plan on riding the route from soda springs to Robinson flat.

·
mtb'er
4,221 Posts
Roll Call?

How about a roll call here? Who is in for 100? Who is doing a 2 person team? Who is still thinking about signing up for one or the other?

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, while the XC racer types will still vie for the fastest time to finish, this year's edition of TS100 is more of a well supported adventure ride, suitable for so many guys I know that loathe racing but like the challenge of a long, challenging, unique and "fun" ride (Rose to Toads kinda guys and gals)... but don't want to carry 40lbs of food/water with them. With no racing résumé required this year, hopefully more strong riders discover this truly challenging course, and Tahoe-Sierra 100 slowly gains the reputation that long ago made the Tevis Cup and the Western States 100 what they are today.

With that said, here are some things to know. If you're not up for a brutal 100 miles, get a pal and do the 2 person team version (riding approximately 50 miles each).

Info for 2 person teams:

o It solves the shuttling dilemma: Both riders drive to Soda Springs in one vehicle, 1st rider heads out at 6am, 2nd rider drives vehicle to Deadwood aid station (and naps?). 2nd rider gets ready to ride around Noon to 3pm depending on your partner's speed. 1st rider comes in and 2nd rider takes off. 1st rider drives vehicle to finish in Auburn and drinks all the beer before their partners or the 100's arrive ;)

o The first leg of the ride is the tougher one, and includes the more scenic, burly and remote sections of the route, as well as the brutal 1.6 mile (40-60 minute) hike-a-bike up to Devil's Thumb, which is just about the end of the 50+ mile segment. Note that Swinging Bridge at the bottom of the nasty HAB is gone, so riders will be portaging across the river. My understanding is this will be the first year the course stays true to the WST over Cougar Rock (~12 miles into the course) and onto Red Star Ridge, skipping the Lyon Ridge descent down towards French Meadows Res. (and the fire road climb to Red Star Ridge). This is due to the efforts of the Western States Safe Trail Alliance not allowing Jim to use a fire road easement somewhere in there, but the Cougar Rock to Red Star Ridge looks more festive to me. :thumbsup: 2nd leg rider might want to pack a light, depending on how slow the 1st rider was.

o The second leg starts with a fantastic never-ending downhill, then a strenuous but mostly rideable (on fresh legs) climb up to Michigan Bluff. Then some fire road climbing and a shorter/fun singletrack descent before a short climb to pavement that gets you to Foresthill. Then some pavement brings you to fun Todd Valley XC oriented singletrack before losing lots of elevation on McKeon-Ponderosa fire road to Rucky Chucky. From the bottom, some of you are on your home turf, with a climb up to Driver's Flat, then FHDL counter-clockwise to Connector, to Culvert, to Confluence, to Stagecoach, to Auburn. TS100 allows the ONLY legal mtb "racing" on the Auburn trails mentioned.

EB's Tips for a rewarding day:

o Get your pre-ride rest, hydration and nutrition squared away prior to August 23
o Make sure your bike is working well and your tires are ready to rumble
o Pack essential tools and parts for typical mechanicals (flat tire, broken chain, etc.). Each aid station will have a mechanic, tools, chain lube, spare tubes, etc... but always good to carry essentials in case you double flat or something.
o Don't overpack food and water... you hit an aid station every 9 to 15 miles (or something like that). Refuel at each one.
o Don't underpack food and water, especially if it is a scorching hot day.
o Stop and take a photo now and then! It's not a race for most of us. Capture some memories.
o Ride with someone who seems to be going the same pace as you... it's safer and can be motivating.
o Footwear: Don't wear your brand new carbon soled mtb shoes! Shoes with a hiking tread are best, given some of the HAB on Red Star Ridge (minimal), the big hike up to Devil's Thumb, some hiking up to Michigan Bluff (depending on how your legs are doing), and any hiking after that due to cramps. A couple of years ago, at least one participant either carried old running shoes or left them at Swinging Bridge to make the brutal HAB more tolerable, as evidenced by the shoes I saw in the trash can at the Deadwood aid station.

Race finish will have beer and bbq, as well as finishers medals. Fastest finisher(s) will receive something for their efforts, but that's Jim's deal.

Oh and you can try and score an entry for about $30 if you join/renew/donate to FATRAC (before Aug. 1): FATRAC and IMBA Raffle

I'm in for the 100 miles, even though I've ridding my bike 3 times this month :crazy:

Any questions?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Ts 100

I am in for the 100 miles. I do have some questions:
1. regarding the upper section, it appears the route is changing so that instead of continueing on road 51 from the top of Lyon Ridge down to road 96, up the 96, and then left onto the Tevis trail, the route will turn right at the top of Lyon ridge onto the Tevis trail and connect with the 96at the bottom of French Meadows reservoir. Is that your impression? Or is this route change only for the 2-person relay?

2. Regarding the finish line, I talked with Auburn Bike Works yesterday and found out the finish line is actually at School Park Preserve at the corner of College Way and High Street, not Cherry & Lincoln (in route description), or the Alta Vista school (shown on website). So, I am still confused and hopefully this will be clarified.

3. I am still unsure of the route regarding the Todd Valley XC portion. is this on paved road Todd Valley Rd/cedar view rd/glen rd/bradley way or does this come off of Mougnberry lane traveling between crestline drive & Happy Pines drive?

EXCELLENT tips!

I can't wait for this adventure! Phillip

·
more skier than biker
2,383 Posts
I just signed up for the 100 mile solo. Last time I did this on my SS in 2012, I was certainly racing it, but this year I am undecided if I will be in race mode or adventure ride mode. I'm not even sure if I am doing this on my SS or on the geared fun bike just yet (Trance). I am certainly not "training" specifically for it at the moment....just relying on fitness built up earlier this year while training for other events. This is more base miles for cyclocross season maybe ha.

Nice detailed description on the course and logistics Empty..nice work.

21 - 40 of 132 Posts