Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
occasionally good
7,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy Tahoe riders -

It looks like I'll be heading your way in a couple of weeks and will be bringing my lovely Blur along to the party. I'll be staying with family near Northstar and would like to do some riding while there.

I'm recovering from a shoulder injury and so am going to be looking for something pretty non-technical - some fun, twisty, rolly singletrack would be ideal. Anything that requires upper-body effort will probably be a bad idea.

Any suggestions? 15-25 miles worth would be just grand.

TIA
MG

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Emigrant Trail

Emigrant Trail sound perfect. About 18 to 24 miles depending on how you ride it, pretty much rolling singletrack with a few climbs thrown in. It is only a stones throw from Northstar, it begins off of Highway 89, north of interstate 80. Great Basin Bicycles has a map on their website except they mispell it "Immigrant" . You could also try the Flume Trail, which is pretty smooth and rolling.

·
occasionally good
7,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
craigstr said:
Emigrant Trail sound perfect. About 18 to 24 miles depending on how you ride it, pretty much rolling singletrack with a few climbs thrown in. It is only a stones throw from Northstar, it begins off of Highway 89, north of interstate 80. Great Basin Bicycles has a map on their website except they mispell it "Immigrant" . You could also try the Flume Trail, which is pretty smooth and rolling.
Thanks, Craig, that does sound perfect!

·
dirty hippy mountainbiker
1,146 Posts
Sawtooth Trail. 11 miles. Some rocky some flowy. Easier than Emigrant right now just because of the wear on the trail. Less crowded than emigrant too.

Just down the way from there though is the Western states loop from Squaw. Nice long climb then a fun, but mellow DH to Tahoe City then back on the bike path.

Or Alpine Meadows to Paige Meadows and back. No hits on that one.

When are you going to be here? We'll plan on a ride?!?!

-M

·
occasionally good
7,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wolfy said:
Sawtooth Trail. 11 miles. Some rocky some flowy. Easier than Emigrant right now just because of the wear on the trail. Less crowded than emigrant too.

Just down the way from there though is the Western states loop from Squaw. Nice long climb then a fun, but mellow DH to Tahoe City then back on the bike path.

Or Alpine Meadows to Paige Meadows and back. No hits on that one.

When are you going to be here? We'll plan on a ride?!?!

-M
It'd be great to ride with you, Wolfy! Although - you'll have to make allowances, I've been off the bike for a bit and am still pretty wounded. I would hate to hold you up, and I'm guessing I'm still going to be very slow by then. Perhaps beers later on?

Dates are TBD - the gal who works for me hurt herself badly too, so we're juggling dr. schedules. It should be in the 2nd week of August, though. My cousin is in Tahoe for two weeks in August.

Any maps/info online about these rides, or do you have TOPO! info you can e-mail me?

·
dirty hippy mountainbiker
1,146 Posts
They used to have one here: http://www.thebackcountry.net/guidebook.php But the only option it gives me now is BackCountry skiing. But they're supposed to have maps and directions for biking too.

If that doesn't work I have an anotated copy of the North Tahoe Recreation map you can use.

The paige meadows ride would be perfect.

-M

·
Registered
396 Posts
i was going to suggest the emigrant trail or sawtooth, but i see those have already been suggested. too bad your shoulder is still jacked up, or i'd try to hook you up with the martis peak trail that ends across the street from northstar (major league sweet!).

none of it is really as good as the riding in ely tho. the new trail by cave lake is pretty darned fine.

i'll see if i have tracks for you. i think they're here at work. sawtooth and emigrant are both easy to find tho.

edit: hmm. i don't seem to have the cali stuff here. i'll look on the machine at home. i know i sent all that stuff to Lee out in reno when he moved there.

more edit: oops. found it. i called it 'dirtbiking.tpo', even tho it has mtb trails too. i emailed it after labeling a couple trails. hope you can make head or tail out of it. if not, just get online and IM me at work.

·
occasionally good
7,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey, you peeps -

Thanks for the great recommendations - we ended up hiking Tuesday (Tallac) and riding yesterday - Emigrant Trail was the perfect solution for a broken old lady and three enthusiastic neophytes.

I swear that trail is downhill both directions - lots of fun!

I look forward to sampling more of the riding out that way - well worth the trip, that's for sure....

MG :thumbsup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.