Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After my earlier Tahoe ride this week, which seemed almost too easy, I decided to test myself with the Spooner Summit to Kingsbury grade round trip ride. Although only about 24 miles long, this is a pretty difficult and challenging ride for me. It has a lot of climbing at altitude and many gnarly, rocky drops. Right from the parking lot you immediately climb for about five miles from 7,100 ft. to nearly 8,8000 ft. In addition to the increasing altitude, the ride gets more difficult toward the top as the trail becomes quite rocky.

On the initial climb I tried to keep a slow but steady pace and the altitude did not seem to bother me as much as in the past. The view from the top is quite spectacular and then you head downhill on some really loose rocky stuff. Then there is some nice swoopy downhill, and then for the next six miles there are dozens of gnarly drops and rock stairs. I've made all of them in the past, but I skipped a couple nasty ones with nobody along to pick me up if I fell. I had forgotten how difficult the ride back was because I do not have the skills to ride up all those gnarly drops. So it was pretty slow going. I also had to climb back up to 8,800 ft. before getting that nice nearly five mile long downhill to end the ride. I'm pretty satisfied with my fitness level at this stage of my comeback, but my technical skills really suck and slow me down.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
"only about 24 miles long", I hate it when someone makes a statement like this, 24 miles is an epic for me. I live at sea level so I consider 8,000 feet major altitude .

Sure looks beautiful. Thanks for the pictures.

·
Registered
191 Posts
jollybeggar said:
"only about 24 miles long", I hate it when someone makes a statement like this, 24 miles is an epic for me. I live at sea level so I consider 8,000 feet major altitude .

Sure looks beautiful. Thanks for the pictures.
My thoughts exactly! I'd hate to ride 24 miles here at sea level. If someone tried to drag me out to do that at 8k, I'd backhand them!

·
Registered
12,944 Posts
Nice. Sounds like your comeback is still on track.

This is one of my other favorite Tahoe rides. I've only ever done it from Kingsbury to Spooner and back. I guess it's the same ride, you just get the steep climb out of Spooner at the end of 12 miles instead of at the first.

I need to get back over there. Soon.

·
Registered
67 Posts
That is a pretty awesome trail!!! Do you know if there is a shuttle service in the area that you can get to drop you off and then pick you up at the end of the trail..??

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Shuttle

idigm said:
That is a pretty awesome trail!!! Do you know if there is a shuttle service in the area that you can get to drop you off and then pick you up at the end of the trail..??
I seem to recall a post in the Norcal forum a while ago that talked about a shuttle service in the Tahoe area. But I don't know what trails they shuttled to. Ask there and I'm sure someone can help you. Get another person and self-shuttle. But the ride would only be 12 miles long :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts