Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anybody interested in a Tahoe ride next Tuesday 6/24? We'd take the 9:30 am Spooner bike shop shuttle to Mt. Rose, down the TRT, down Redhouse Flume, up Sunflower Hill, then back north on the TRT above Marlette Lake, and then down The Flume. I believe it's about 32 miles or so. This would be my first ride there in two years and would probably be fairly slowish. The bike shop says it is clear enough now and melting very fast.

I stay at the S. Lake Tahoe Motel 6 the night before. We could self-shuttle and start much earlier. I'm off to Downieville today and will be back Saturday night.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Wherewolf said:
Anybody interested in a Tahoe ride next Tuesday 6/24? We'd take the 9:30 am Spooner bike shop shuttle to Mt. Rose, down the TRT, down Redhouse Flume, up Sunflower Hill, then back north on the TRT above Marlette Lake, and then down The Flume. I believe it's about 32 miles or so. This would be my first ride there in two years and would probably be fairly slowish. The bike shop says it is clear enough now and melting very fast.

I stay at the S. Lake Tahoe Motel 6 the night before. We could self-shuttle and start much earlier. I'm off to Downieville today and will be back Saturday night.
Steve,

I'm interested, I'll be up there camping with the family and in-laws from evening of the 23rd on. Let me try and figure out the family schedule. I'm planning to hit the Toad's loop (S. Upper Truckee then TRT up) based on TahoeBC's update a different day.

-Derek

·
aka dan51
6,022 Posts
Steve,
We might join you as well. Gotta work it out with The Law though.

derek said:
Steve,

I'm interested, I'll be up there camping with the family and in-laws from evening of the 23rd on. Let me try and figure out the family schedule. I'm planning to hit the Toad's loop (S. Upper Truckee then TRT up) based on TahoeBC's update a different day.

-Derek
We will be up there camping as well all next week. We should hook up for the Toads loop if it makes shuttling any easier. We currently have no schedule, other that ride our bikes whenever and where ever we want, then eat at buffets. HITG is also on our list.

-Dan

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No Punisher yet

dan51 said:
We should hook up for the Toads loop if it makes shuttling any easier. We currently have no schedule, other that ride our bikes whenever and where ever we want, then eat at buffets.
Not only would it be too early to do the Punisher because of the snow, I'm not ready for it yet anyway. Booking the Spooner Lake shuttle to Mt. Rose would be the easiest thing to do.

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
Wherewolf said:
Not only would it be too early to do the Punisher because of the snow, I'm not ready for it yet anyway. Booking the Spooner Lake shuttle to Mt. Rose would be the easiest thing to do.
Unlike you Steve most people ride Toads as a shuttle or a loop it in a number of different ways that do not include the Punisher ;) Think there just talking about another ride in addition to yours.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
I would be up for riding Tuesday if I can scare someone else up from the bay area to drive with. I could see myself taking a nice nap on the drive home if I were solo.

·
Registered
710 Posts
TahoeBC said:
Unlike you Steve most people ride Toads as a shuttle or a loop it in a number of different ways that do not include the Punisher ;) Think there just talking about another ride in addition to yours.
I saw your post on Toad's the other day. Any idea how far out is it from riding up to Armstrong Pass and then over to Toad's?

-Derek

·
Registered
710 Posts
dan51 said:
We will be up there camping as well all next week. We should hook up for the Toads loop if it makes shuttling any easier. We currently have no schedule, other that ride our bikes whenever and where ever we want, then eat at buffets. HITG is also on our list.

-Dan
Cool, sounds like a winner. Ride, buffet, ride, buffet. I'm thinking riding on Tuesday and Thursday as my in-laws want to go on a long hike one day, so I'm pushing for Mt. Tallac.

We are camping in South Lake so I'm thinking of the closer trails Toad's and based on the reports the trail from Hawley Grade (never done that). My wife doesn't ride so I'll be limited to half-day or so rides, maybe one looong one if I'm lucky.

-Derek

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
derek said:
I saw your post on Toad's the other day. Any idea how far out is it from riding up to Armstrong Pass and then over to Toad's?

-Derek
If you don't mind some snow sections I would guess it would be close enough by the weekend of the 28th. I would not be surprised if a few people have already done it, Toads is already getting quite a bit of traffic.

·
Slowest Rider
5,237 Posts
Aaaaaaaaaa

This would be a perfect ride for me to do with you. I've never been to Tahoe or the TRT, and would love to do that route. I'd join you in an instant. Unfortunately, that's the first day I start work again after six months of play. :mad: :madman: You should of asked sooner! (Hmm, maybe I can change my start date?)

I'll be in Tahoe for the July 4th weekend. I might convince my family to give me most of a day to do a ride, since we'll be there four days and July 4th is my Bday. Any chance of wanting to do another ride on the July 4 weekend? It could be shorter too.

How much climbing is involved in the trip you describe? A slow 32 miles sounds like over 7 hours with breaks?

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
BigLarry said:
How much climbing is involved in the trip you describe? A slow 32 miles sounds like over 7 hours with breaks?
I've done that route solo in 3:15 minutes, your mileage may very ;) Sunflower hill can be a biach of a fireroad climb if it's hot out, it should be absolutely killer soon with the entire hillside of mule ears in bloom, hence the name "Sun Flower Hill".

BTW Steve, there WILL be some big patch's of Snow as you climb the TRT back above Marlette Lake, just so you know.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
BigLarry said:
This would be a perfect ride for me to do with you. I've never been to Tahoe or the TRT, and would love to do that route. I'd join you in an instant. Unfortunately, that's the first day I start work again after six months of play. :mad: :madman: You should of asked sooner! (Hmm, maybe I can change my start date?)

I'll be in Tahoe for the July 4th weekend. I might convince my family to give me most of a day to do a ride, since we'll be there four days and July 4th is my Bday. Any chance of wanting to do another ride on the July 4 weekend? It could be shorter too.

Who starts a job on Tuesday? Might as well start Wednesday.

·
Slowest Rider
5,237 Posts
TahoeBC said:
I've done that route solo in 3:15 minutes, your mileage may very ;)
But does that still mean my estimate of my time is wrong?? How much climbing, or is it sorta flat? You have a track of this route somewhere, like on Motion Based?

Edit: I just realized I was thinking Henry Coe miles, where I average 5 MPH. I can do a 25 mile fire road loop from my house in 3:41 moving, for 7 MPH moving average. But it only has 3700' of climb. So it all depends on the climb really.

·
Slowest Rider
5,237 Posts
EBrider said:
Who starts a job on Tuesday? Might as well start Wednesday.
And then, why Tuesday for this ride. Why not Monday morning? I could make that for sure.
(Derek's schedule and rest days for Steve?)

As for self shuttles, I can comfortably get 6 large bikers and 6 bikes on my new Taurus X, as long as it's just Camelbacks and no camping gear for luggage.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Why not Monday?

BigLarry said:
And then, why Tuesday for this ride. Why not Monday morning? I could make that for sure.
(Derek's schedule and rest days for Steve?)

As for self shuttles, I can comfortably get 6 large bikers and 6 bikes on my new Taurus X, as long as it's just Camelbacks and no camping gear for luggage.
I can ride Monday, but would probably have to drive out in the AM. Sounds like Wherewolf is at D-ville though, so I'm sure it would be difficult at this stage.

·
Proud lame eBiker
2,680 Posts
Hey Big Larry....wanna ride Monday?! Grouse Ridge? A bit closer than TRT Flume...

PM if interested.

·
Slowest Rider
5,237 Posts
Odd Monday?

EBrider said:
I can ride Monday, but would probably have to drive out in the AM. Sounds like Wherewolf is at D-ville though, so I'm sure it would be difficult at this stage.
I'm trying to figure out more about the route. I downloaded Steve's map from his web site. It says TRT is only open to bikes on even days. Odd. Is that the whole trail or a section? Does that mean Monday's out?

Sounds like it's better if I make it Tuesday, or not do the ride.

·
Slowest Rider
5,237 Posts
Internal14 said:
Hey Big Larry....wanna ride Monday?! Grouse Ridge? A bit closer than TRT Flume...

PM if interested.
I think I was able to find Grouse Ridge on Motion Based. It looks to be on the west side of the lake - closer as you say.

I'm really slow, between a C and D rider. Wherewolf may be a touch faster, but we're close enough in speed and we both tend to go long distances. I don't think you'd want to wait for me.

Also, I really want to do the TRT, which I've heard a lot about and have never done. And I haven't seen Wherewolf for a while, since his knee operation.

Nevertheless, if I can't get Tuesday off, I'll consider your offer. Thanks.

·
Slowest Rider
5,237 Posts
TahoeBC said:
I've done that route solo in 3:15 minutes, your mileage may very ;) Sunflower hill can be a biach of a fireroad climb if it's hot out, it should be absolutely killer soon with the entire hillside of mule ears in bloom, hence the name "Sun Flower Hill".

BTW Steve, there WILL be some big patch's of Snow as you climb the TRT back above Marlette Lake, just so you know.
OK, I call you on this claim. Where's your GPS tracks?

Actually, I believe you, but am just looking for tracks somewhere so I can figure out how much climb is required on this route. I'm finding similar tracks, but not quite this route, on Motion Based and MTB Guru sites.

I'm guessing about 4500' from what I'm seeing on similar routes.

Tomorrow morning I'll go do a 28 mile, 4000' ride and time myself. But the Tahoe elevation, singletrack roughness, and snow may slow me down further.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.