Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Freezer
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that the Ski Area Formerly Known as Squaw is officially Tahoe Palisades, I'm feeling a bit underwhelmed by the new monicker. It sounds so... LA, and incredibly devoid of character, sort of like those new housing developments off of I5. "Firebaugh Heights", "Fresno Estates", "Tahoe Palisades". Offensive to none; boring to all. And in the SoCal tradition of reducing place names to their initials (PV for Palos Verdes, PS for Palm Springs), will we all eventually be calling the venerable ski area "TP"? An ingnomious next chapter at best...

· Registered
896 Posts
Well, no. Americans are just really lazy and if we can shorten a word then we're going to. I've seen plenty of these in my lifetime: SC, SF, RWC, PA, MV, LA, SV, SJ, MH, SLT, etc. Pretty standard for cities that have two/three words in the name or just a lengthy name.

· Premium Member
8,744 Posts

· Registered
896 Posts
As pointed out on another discussion forum, there's now a "Palisades at Squaw Valley" on Palisades Circle at Palisades Tahoe. The real question is if they will rename the development to "Palisades at Palisades Tahoe" on Palisades Circle at Palisades Tahoe. I hope they do.

· Registered
660 Posts
Not sure why so many people are haters... The "Palisades" is a pretty sweet and unique area on the mountain. Its 2021 and once people find something "offensive" you have no choice to change it, and I think they picked a pretty cool name...

View attachment 1948276
isn't "palisades" the name for the area with the big chutes, i.e. national, extra, chimney, etc? Requires a hike to get there if i remember right.

· more skier than biker
2,406 Posts
isn't "palisades" the name for the area with the big chutes, i.e. national, extra, chimney, etc? Requires a hike to get there if i remember right.
Yes.

Sugar Bowl and Kirkwood both have areas on their mountains called the 'palisades' too....but neither are nowhere near as famous nor iconic as the Squ, ....err...as iconic as Palisades Tahoe's palisades are.

· getting back into it...
210 Posts
As pointed out on another discussion forum, there's now a "Palisades at Squaw Valley" on Palisades Circle at Palisades Tahoe. The real question is if they will rename the development to "Palisades at Palisades Tahoe" on Palisades Circle at Palisades Tahoe. I hope they do.
You mean like baseball's "The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim", a.k.a. "The The Angels Angels of Anaheim"?

· Registered
1,256 Posts
While I agree that S**** Valley had to go, I have to agree that "Palisades Tahoe" is less-than-inspiring.

Yeah, the Palisades is a famous feature. But if you have a famous chute in your riding/skiing area... calling it "Chute Mountain", while appropriate in one sense... is marketing phoning-it-in.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.