Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, heading to Tahoe July 15-20. Was excited to ride Rose to Chimney but looks like Rose entrance might not thaw in time?

We are two intermediate riders and one strong beginner staying Kings Beach area. I've done one Tahoe ride (painted rock) and the others none.

All the other options I know are too far (SLT) or no shuttle (TC) which might be tough on new guy.

What about starting marlette or incline flume and adding loops around snapdragon, etc? I might have FOMO about missing the TRT :-/

Or, Kings beach shuttle from martis peak?

Thx in advance!

·
NedwannaB
12,792 Posts
Hi all, heading to Tahoe July 15-20. Was excited to ride Rose to Chimney but looks like Rose entrance might not thaw in time?

We are two intermediate riders and one strong beginner staying Kings Beach area. I've done one Tahoe ride (painted rock) and the others none.

All the other options I know are too far (SLT) or no shuttle (TC) which might be tough on new guy.

What about starting marlette or incline flume and adding loops around snapdragon, etc? I might have FOMO about missing the TRT :-/

Or, Kings beach shuttle from martis peak?

Thx in advance!
Incline Flume->Tunnel->TRT->Snap->Redhouse->Sunflower->TRT->Marlette Pk->Marlette->Chimney. Or if you dont want to deal with shuttle, drop to Marlette Lk->Flume nthbnd->Incline Flume back to car(or drop lower Tyrolean for a short shuttle car roundup). All open.

PM if this needs to be decifered.?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Still snow on the west side of Sheep's Flat in the trees. Hasn't stopped some folks from shuttling Rose-->Tunnel and I bet it's not too bad after that 1st north facing climb.
The other option to get to that 1st overlook on the TRT is to climb up the top section of Tyrolean, it's on the sunny side and should be snow free.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all for the advice! Some great solid options here!

Also got a reco for shuttling from Martis and head west on TRT to Tahoe City area. My only concern is not having a good bailout if newguy isn't up for it. Any thoughts on how that compares?

Or maybe the snow will melt in 7 days!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Thanks all for the advice! Some great solid options here!

Also got a reco for shuttling from Martis and head west on TRT to Tahoe City area. My only concern is not having a good bailout if newguy isn't up for it. Any thoughts on how that compares?

Or maybe the snow will melt in 7 days!
Good solid ride, but know that there will be quite a bit of climbing even though you would be starting quite a bit higher than the finish. Lots of bailout options, anything to the left goes to the lake, to the right goes to northstar/Truckee/Squaw. Advise you have trailforks on your phone so you can see the options, none are bad, but some a lot more fun and/or practical than others.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Has anyone ridden the Tamarack Lake trail from Rose summit? https://www.trailforks.com/trails/tamarack-lake-trail/

Looks intriguing, and with link into sky tavern dh stuff, might be a good shuttle.
I rode this last week, shuttling from Galena Creek trail head. Tamarack Lake tail is super fun, but not super fast going down, can easily be ridden both directions. It does drop you off right at the top of Sky Tavern. Use caution as there may be a trail crew finishing up the last section this week (just above Sky Tavern.)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.