Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going up to Tahoe on Saturday and trying to figure out which trails me and a friend should ride.

I'm thinking either doing the TRT to Toads, or just doing Toads and then doing a loop or two of sidewinder. Just wondering if that part of the TRT trail is any good or if its just mild xc riding? You start the TRT at Heavenly and end up traveling to armstrong pass and descending Toads (or something along those lines). Either way we're gonna bring 2 cars, so if we do Toads we'll shuttle as high as we can go, pedal the rest, and then come back down toads, and do 2 shuttles of sidewinder.

Any suggestions?

FYI I've never ridden any of these places.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
254 Posts
Yody said:
Any suggestions?

FYI I've never ridden any of these places.
TRT worth riding?! OH YES.
One of the best rides in Tahoe is starting at Stagecoach lodge and ride out to Star Lake, Freel Peak, Armstong Pass, the continue on to Toads. It's an amazing ride and perfect right now with only one small patch of snow near Freel. Allow 4-6 hours.

Or you could go shorter and just ride up Armstong Trail above Corral then up and over to Toads (maybe 2 hours).
 

·
mtbr dismember
Joined
·
6,988 Posts
Punisher

Yody said:
You start the TRT at Heavenly and end up traveling to armstrong pass and descending Toads (or something along those lines). Either way we're gonna bring 2 cars, so if we do Toads we'll shuttle as high as we can go, pedal the rest, and then come back down toads, and do 2 shuttles of sidewinder.
TRT from Heavenly down Toads is called "The Punisher" for good reason. You climb up to nearly 10,000 ft. A good bit of hike-a-bike for me, but well worth it. My first ride report here: http://arnica.csustan.edu/mtbike/Punisher/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
434 Posts
There is no way that Stagecoach to Toad's is 10k feet of climbing. Just rode it this morning. And continued to ride from Oneidas out to Trout Creek and back to my home.
Stats:
Elevation Gain: 3,733 ft
Elevation Loss: 5,113 ft
Min Elevation: 6,252 ft
Max Elevation: 9,735 ft
Distance: 31.91 mi
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Shuttled the paved road, and rode the dirt to toads and back, then shuttled up to armstrong again, and did armstrong, sidewinder, and corral twice. Awesome day!
 

·
aka dan51
Joined
·
6,021 Posts
Yody said:
Shuttled the paved road, and rode the dirt to toads and back, then shuttled up to armstrong again, and did armstrong, sidewinder, and corral twice. Awesome day!
Those are the best trails in Tahoe IMO. Love that area.
 

·
Elitest thrill junkie
Joined
·
37,936 Posts
Wherewolf said:
Now tell me the elevation of Freel Pass?
20,000 leagues.
 

·
www.derbyrims.com
Joined
·
6,766 Posts
Do the TRT from Heavenly backside to Toads someday. Not for the weak of lung, climbing to near 11,000 ft., above timberline. The most epic part of the TRT.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
derby said:
Do the TRT from Heavenly backside to Toads someday. Not for the weak of lung, climbing to near 11,000 ft., above timberline. The most epic part of the TRT.
Yeah thats what I was asking about. Sounds epic but at that elevation I think it would turn into a suffer-fest rather than fun. I just wanna do the super fun DH more than the cross country expeditions :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
434 Posts
Riding the TRT from the backside of Heavenly to Toad's is not as horrible as everyone keeps saying it is. Just go steady and bring lots of water. Or bring a filter and fill up at Star Lake. The best part is that if you get tired along the way and change your mind you can drop in at different spots.... Cold Creek or Armstrong.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
555 Posts
The crux is the first half mile, altitude and sand. I did the Monarch Crest Trail in CO recently which is 35 miles and it's an easier ride. I think it has about the same vertical gain but no sand or hike and bike.

amydalayna said:
Riding the TRT from the backside of Heavenly to Toad's is not as horrible as everyone keeps saying it is. Just go steady and bring lots of water. Or bring a filter and fill up at Star Lake. The best part is that if you get tired along the way and change your mind you can drop in at different spots.... Cold Creek or Armstrong.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
434 Posts
nutballchamp said:
The crux is the first half mile, altitude and sand. I did the Monarch Crest Trail in CO recently which is 35 miles and it's an easier ride. I think it has about the same vertical gain but no sand or hike and bike.
You can just ride the fireroad up the rim trail. It cuts out the first section that's steep and sandy and also the section of hike a bike on the rim trail.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,371 Posts
To answer the original question, YES, its worth riding. At least once. Personally I'd rather do the Armstrong loop + some bonus like Corral/Sidewinder. But if you haven't ridden it, then do it.

If I were riding up there consistently, then I would do the Punisher ride about 1 out of every 4-5 toads rides.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
555 Posts
amydalayna said:
You can just ride the fireroad up the rim trail. It cuts out the first section that's steep and sandy and also the section of hike a bike on the rim trail.
I always skip the steep fireroad at the chairlift by riding up the paved road and through the gate. Where do you catch the fireroad that skips the bike and hike at the start of TRT?
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top