Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today I had a fantastic solo ride at Lake Tahoe. I did the Armstrong Pass Loop: up to Armstrong Pass, down and across Hwy 89, out to Scotts Lake, up the Tahoe Rim Trail to Toads and down to the start via Armstrong Pass. I was determined to keep moving and to staying on the bike as much as possible. All the high altitude climbing I've been doing this summer is starting to pay off. What used to take nine hours took much less than seven hours and I felt pretty good the whole way. Uphill obstacles are a lot easier when you are not out of breath!

At 45 degrees, the early morning temperature was quite comfortable, and despite some occasional very cold winds in the exposed areas, it was a pretty nice day. The trails were nearly empty and I didn't see a soul for the first four hours. Halfway up the climb to Toads, I got a rare ego boost when I rode past some downhillers pushing their bikes. I did minimal stopping so I only took a few photos.

Early morning light.

I'm terrified of heights and had to cross with my bike for the first time ever.

Cool roots.

Highest point, 9,348 ft.

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,534 Posts
That is awesome Wherewolf!!! I know the feeling about finally seeing/feeling the pay-off of working hard. I have been riding since last year, with finishing MY BIKE in February and really riding since then. Well the normal area that I ride there are usually three stops that I have always had to stop at. After battling with what ended up being a incorrect cleating position on my left foot this week I was able to completely push past all three stop AND had a riding buddy tell me "Damn you are getting fast!" That is a pretty epic ride that you had there.

Quick question, what did you end up wearing clothing wise as I am trying to schedule a ride with a couple family members where we will to Mt. Rose to Spooner (or if we are feeling good Mt. Rose to Marlette and back) and wondering what the attire should be.

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks!

Quick question, what did you end up wearing clothing wise as I am trying to schedule a ride with a couple family members where we will to Mt. Rose to Spooner (or if we are feeling good Mt. Rose to Marlette and back) and wondering what the attire should be.
It could be different for you tomorrow. Pay attention to the forecast the morning you ride. Clothing is dictated by the conditions you expect to encounter that day. I was prepared for freezing temperatures at the start but it was pretty mild. I wore a long sleeve jersey over a short sleeve one expecting to take the top layer off. I always carry a windbreaker, even in summer. But in Tahoe, particularly at this time of the year you should always bring extra clothing in case the weather changes.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I was determined to keep moving and to staying on the bike as much as possible. All the high altitude climbing I've been doing this summer is starting to pay off. What used to take nine hours took much less than seven hours and I felt pretty good the whole way. Uphill obstacles are a lot easier when you are not out of breath!
Nice! And good photos.

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
Looks like the first snow fall is on it's way
Tahoe Weather Discussion - No Hype Lake Tahoe Weather

"It looks like if the snow starts at lake level before sunrise we could see a slushy accumulation of 1-3 inches and then as the sun comes up it should only stick in shady spots. Above 7000 ft. We should pick up 5-10 inches of snow with the most above 8000 ft, and up to a foot on the crest. The Euro and a couple other models are still showing over an inch of liquid. That would lead me to err on side of the higher end forecast totals. "

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
but fortunately

Looks like the first snow fall is on it's way
Tahoe Weather Discussion - No Hype Lake Tahoe Weather

"It looks like if the snow starts at lake level before sunrise we could see a slushy accumulation of 1-3 inches and then as the sun comes up it should only stick in shady spots. Above 7000 ft. We should pick up 5-10 inches of snow with the most above 8000 ft, and up to a foot on the crest. The Euro and a couple other models are still showing over an inch of liquid. That would lead me to err on side of the higher end forecast totals. "
looks like north Tahoe temps should be back in the high 60s or so by the following Monday... it's gonna be sweet

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Armstrong up/down

Good work and a great route. We did a similar route last week. Personally I would rather come down Armstrong Pass, Armstrong Connector and Sidewinder than Toads. Armstrong Connector is one of my favorite trails anywhere.
The trail up to Armstrong Pass is great both going up and coming down!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.