Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After waiting out a cool and wet winter and spring I've been anxiously awaiting the melting of the snows in the Sierras. However, my first two Sierra rides ended up in temperatures at or above 100 degrees. So as soon as I heard some of the Tahoe high country trails were open I headed up. I have about four main Tahoe rides and Spooner to Kingsbury round-trip, on the Tahoe Rim Trail, is one of my favorites. At only about 25 miles it is the shortest, but it is probably the most difficult. It starts out at 7,100 ft. and you climb immediately out of the parking lot for five miles up to about 8,800 ft. I'm slow to warm up and catch my second wind, and my knees usually need at least an hour to warm up, so this is a killer. I question my sanity on this ride more than any I've ever done.

DrWheels and T horse agreed to ride with me and I was happy to learn that T horse, a first time poster, was the first guy I ever met on the trail, on the very first solo ride I ever did. He's pretty good but very mellow and we've ridden together dozens of times. As always in Tahoe during the summer the weather was perfect, about 70 degrees, dry, and clear blue skies. Since I'm slower than the other two and I was extremely nervous and apprehensive about my first ride of the season up this very difficult trail, I headed out a few minutes before the other guys. The first 15 minutes brought back all those painful memories, but they soon subsided, and I did fairly well, finishing the entire climb about 20 minutes faster than ever. It was still pretty tough though, especially the last two miles, which gets steeper, rockier and much more difficult as you near 9,000 ft.

After a brief rest at the top and a few photos we headed down the other side to the most fun part of the trip, about seven miles of rolling, rocky singletrack with scores of rock stairs and drops. In an attempt to get ahead and set up for a few photos I zoomed down off the top on some narrow singletrack through dense vegetation. It was pretty easy so I had my pedals in the 6 and 12 o'clock positions. Unfortunately, a rock was hidden under the vegetation, my pedal hit it, the bike stopped, and I was thrown quite a ways into some gnarly old shrubs. If not wearing my armor I would be pretty cut up. DrWheels got a bit ahead of us and he had a potentially serious fall. As we caught up to him he was dragging himself and his bike up a steep rocky slope he had fallen over while attempting to go up a series of rock stairs. But he only needed a few minutes to collect himself. He was in a bit of a hurry so he went ahead and we eventually met him coming back just before the turn around point. From there he continued on back by himself. T horse and I came back at a fairly leisurely pace since all those cool drops and rock stairs were now mostly uphill. But we persisted knowing that the painful five mine uphill at the start now awaited us as one of the finest five mile downhills I've ever done! Great riding with both of you guys. Below are a few photos, I'll have a few more on my site soon.

DrWheels suiting up

Long, slow, steep, rocky climb (STIL)

T horse nears the top

At the top

DrWheels at the top

Me on a a drop

DrWheels on a drop

T horse on the trail

T horse amongst boring scenery

More boring scenery

Even more boring scenery

T horse heading home

T horse

I've never made it all the way but I continue to try. I'm about half way down a long series of drops.

Snow plants

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry

Zonic Man said:
Wish ya contacted me....suzy and I probably woulda joined you.
Sorry but ride details were posted a week ago and look at your responses. You indicated you couldn't make it. How was I supposed to contact you and why would I try anyway after you indicated you weren't coming? From what I hear I'm way too slow for you two anyway :)

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
As usual, great shots. Oh and that scenery is so boring! Yeah right !!

I went to Tahoe snow boarding once, had a magic time, great snow, great all round. Must travel there one of these days to ride in the summer. 70 deg F sounds great. Having moved form New Zealand to Spain, this riding in 95 - 110 deg F is killing me, so not used to it.....

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
I'm so jealous! Thats my favorite trail. Awesome pic's as usual:thumbsup: Did anyone clean the last section to Kingsberry? I've never had the balls for that, but have seen a lot of people make it.

·
padded
705 Posts
it's days like that...

... that remind me why I ride a bike. Thanks again for organizing the ride, 'Wolf, and those are some awesome pics :thumbsup: in spite of the polo shirt-wearing freerider blocking the views ;)

yes, I did clean that last set of drops before the Kingsbury parking lot, but only barely - it was all white knuckles and dumb luck. Earlier on that descent 'Wolf came around the trail to find me climbing back up after tipping off :yikes: one of the smaller triple-step climbs. If I was more confident I wouldn't have bothered sweating under that heavy-a$$ full-face.

I hope I'll see you on another ride this season. Happy trails!

·
In exile
542 Posts
I really enjoyed Spooner up the Flume to the Rim Trail back to Spooner a few years back. About 28 miles. You can imagine my pain on a rented bike with granny not so available. It was an ML-5 that just didn't want to shift down so I rode the 34 tooth middle ring. Since it's flat in TX, it was hard on me. It still rocked more ways than I can describe.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.