Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm giving 10 days notice on this so you can all check with your "bosses". The Spooner Lake bike shop seems fairly confident that Tahoe Meadows will be ride-able July 8th. So I propose riding the TRT from Mt. Rose, down The Flume Trail to Spooner Lake, and then to Kingsbury Grade for 35 miles. The first 22 miles would be relatively easy since it is mostly downhill. Then we would face the 5 mile climb at the beginning of the Kingsbury ride.

This would require leaving some vehicles at Kingsbury at about 8 am, and self-shuttling to Mt. Rose. So no weenies and no waffling. You are either in or out because we have to make sure we have sufficient vehicles for shuttling. I have little patience for logistical planning or those who show up late or under-prepared. The elevation would range from 7,100 ft. to nearly 9,000 ft. If you haven't ridden at Tahoe this might not be the best time to start because there really are no easy bailout points (without waiting for us to finish and come get you). I don't claim to be fast or a very good rider, but I've done these trails many times so I know what to expect. The weather can change very quickly so you need to be prepared. And since we will be self-shuttling we need to finish together.

If Tahoe Meadows is not ride-able the alternative would be to do Spooner to Kingsbury round-trip, a great ride in itself. I usually stay at the Motel 6 the night before if someone wants to share a room.

·
Totally, and to the max.
2,555 Posts
Since my *boss* says I need to be on a plane to Maui the next day, I won't be able to do this ride. Too bad, because I really want to. I am, however, planning a Tahoe epic on July 22 so mark your calendar! It will be EPIC! :thumbsup: And I'd love to have you along. (hint: Spooner to Toad's)

Your "no weenies and no waffling" gave me a great idea, though. A new post ride grub: Waffling Weenies. Grill up some weenies and wrap em in Eggo waffles. Throw in some spicy mustard and you got yourself a delicious, and might I say, nutritious source of calories! :ihih: :ihih: :ihih:

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Perhaps

K-max said:
I am, however, planning a Tahoe epic on July 22 so mark your calendar! It will be EPIC! :thumbsup: And I'd love to have you along. (hint: Spooner to Toad's)
Well, in keeping with the conservative approach I advocate for my ride, I'd have to know more about this ride. How long and how much climbing. Remember, I'm much slower than the folks you ride with. But I would like to try some other sections of the TRT. From what I understand I probably couldn't do Toads.

·
Registered
6,170 Posts
Wherewolf said:
But I would like to try some other sections of the TRT. From what I understand I probably couldn't do Toads.
If you've been riding Rose to Kingsbury you can do Toads. There is one section near the top that I walk now in my old age for like 1 or 2 hundred yards, the rest is a piece of cake, a piece of mighty fine cake:thumbsup:

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
July 22 epic

I'm always looking to expand my Tahoe riding. Looking at the maps of Spooner to Kingsbury and Kingsbury to Big Meadow, this route appears to be about 38 miles. That's only two miles farther than I've done at Tahoe. It looks like the toughest parts are the first five miles of each section. It also looks like once you reach Star Lake the trail is mostly flat and even a good bit of downhill. Is that correct? I assume Toad's is the Saxon Creek Trail? I'm not embarrassed to walk stuff I can't ride.

So if you are sure you can stand my pace I'll probably join you. Normally I'd say you can leave me if I'm too slow but I assume this is a self shuttle, in which case you'll have to wait for me. However, if my truck is a the end, you wouldn't have to wait for me. And if I I could get one of my slowpoke buddies to join me (hint, hint) you need not worry about me.

Come on fellow slowpokes, this will be fun :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,170 Posts
Toads is the Saxon creek trail. As far as Kingsbury to Big Meadow, Once you actually get on the TRT, (there is some road riding required to link up the Bench section) , its not a bad climb. about a 1/2 mile before you hit Monument pass there is a tough section that will require most mortals to do some hike a bike. Then its fun rolling single track to Star lake. But then it's mostly climbing towards Freel Pass, fairly easy grades but the altitude and sandy conditions at times make the going slow. From Freel pass its a fun downhill with some minor climbing to Armstrong Pass. Armstrong to the top of your decent towards Toads or Big Meadows is usually the hardest part due primarily to fatigue pulse you are getting high again. This is my personal favorite section of the TRT, gives you that feeling that you get backpacking way out in a wilderness.

·
Totally, and to the max.
2,555 Posts
In an attempt to not highjack this thread, I will say:

EVERYONE GO RIDE WITH STEVE ON JULY 8TH!

Okay, anyway. What I envision for the 22nd is two groups. One faster, one slower. Not really a B group though, since the length, technicality and altitude make this a pretty strenuous ride. The reason for two groups is less pressure and accountability for faster and slower riders. Those who are coming back from injuries, have trouble acclimating, or just like to pace themselves would go in a group together. There would be less waiting overall and the group would flow better. The faster group would just be faster. But probably no more than an hour ahead. Giving just enough time to have a beer after the ride. Depending on the number of riders, we'd probably want to stage half the vehicles at the bottom of Toad's and the others at Spooner. That way everyone can get back to get their cars. If there are more riders than space in vehicles at the bottom of Toad's, those with energy left can ride the road to our place off Pioneer Trail.

The good thing about this ride is that there are a few bailout points from the TRT, so if anyone is having issues they can just bomb down the pavement or a fireroad and get back down to "sea level". There is also water available at Star Lake and a stream a few miles past that on the TRT.

It'll be a big all-day ride, but well within your capabilities.

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Might want to start a new thread

Sounds like a pretty exciting ride! You might want to start a new thread since many might not be looking at my rides. And since, unlike me, many people have lives and obligations, they'll need to plan way ahead. It will also give me time to start some arm twisting. Another option is to make sure all the slower people have their vehicles at the end of the ride. Then the fast people won't have to wait for them.

·
bicycle rider
2,718 Posts
K-max said:
Since my *boss* says I need to be on a plane to Maui the next day, I won't be able to do this ride. Too bad, because I really want to. I am, however, planning a Tahoe epic on July 22 so mark your calendar! It will be EPIC! :thumbsup: And I'd love to have you along. (hint: Spooner to Toad's)

Your "no weenies and no waffling" gave me a great idea, though. A new post ride grub: Waffling Weenies. Grill up some weenies and wrap em in Eggo waffles. Throw in some spicy mustard and you got yourself a delicious, and might I say, nutritious source of calories! :ihih: :ihih: :ihih:
Don't forget the wine. :)

I'm in for 7/22. It'll be good prep for the Downieville Classic the next weekend. I can't do 7/8 because I'll be doing the Diablo Hillclimb / Lafayette Crit. K-max, it was fun riding with you and Dustbunny. Looking forward to some Tahoe riding. Will invite some of my riding buddies, hopefully one of them can make it too. And I'm all about carpooling if any east bay or bay area peeps want to share a ride. My station wagon can fit eight people and eight bikes if I put all the bike mounts on.

Morgan

·
Feeling a little taller
6,705 Posts
I'll be entertaining my older kids until the 19th and can't bring them to the Tahoe ride on the 8th but I'd like to mark my "tentative" for the 22nd - probably B group material unless the A group is going to take it slow. Oh, and did I mention having a serious shuttle vehicle?

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ride change!

As of July 1st there was still too much snow to start at Mt. Rose and I doubt it will be gone by the 8th. But I'll confirm on Thursday. So I'll be repeating the Spooner to Kingsbury round-trip ride I did last weekend. Cohenfive is in and also perhaps T horse. Any other takers? 8 am start. Since this is an out and back ride you can start with us and leave if we are too slow.

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
Wherewolf said:
As of July 1st there was still too much snow to start at Mt. Rose and I doubt it will be gone by the 8th. But I'll confirm on Thursday. So I'll be repeating the Spooner to Kingsbury round-trip ride I did last weekend. Cohenfive is in and also perhaps T horse. Any other takers? 8 am start. Since this is an out and back ride you can start with us and leave if we are too slow.
i'm keeping my fingers crossed that the snow will melt enough but am excited about getting any ride in up in tahoe this month.

·
Registered
6,170 Posts
Buddys of mine on Saturday self shuttled to Rose and road the TRT including the section above the flume. Said there were some big snow sections left, but it was easy to navigate and was plenty of fun.

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks!

TahoeBC said:
Buddys of mine on Saturday self shuttled to Rose and road the TRT including the section above the flume. Said there were some big snow sections left, but it was easy to navigate and was plenty of fun.
I have a feeling we are going to go for it. The folks from the Spooner bike shop are supposed to check it out today or tomorrow to determine if they'll run shuttles on Saturday. So cohenfive be prepared for a big one!

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The epic is on!

Just got word the Spooner bike shop will run shuttles from Mt. Rose on Saturday so that means we are a go for the epic. Meet at Kingsbury trailhead at 8 am. If I haven't heard from you and you just show up make sure you can haul twice as many bikes and people as you bring since we will be self-shuttling to Mt. Rose.

·
Registered
16 Posts
is the rim trail very technical?

How hard is the rim trail for a beginner?

My wife got me into this trip to tahoe to visit her girlfriend thisweekend and I found to be a perfect opportunity to hit the tahoe trails which I have never done. The problem is that the girlfriend's husband wants to come too:rolleyes: , and he does not seem like he rides a bike much...

I am planning on taking the spooner's shuttle to mt. rose and ride the tahoe rim trail. Do you think it is suitable for a 45-year-old beginner:confused: ?

thank you in advanced for your input!

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
ride4pedro said:
How hard is the rim trail for a beginner?

My wife got me into this trip to tahoe to visit her girlfriend thisweekend and I found to be a perfect opportunity to hit the tahoe trails which I have never done. The problem is that the girlfriend's husband wants to come too:rolleyes: , and he does not seem like he rides a bike much...

I am planning on taking the spooner's shuttle to mt. rose and ride the tahoe rim trail. Do you think it is suitable for a 45-year-old beginner:confused: ?

thank you in advanced for your input!
if i might make a suggestion, if i were a beginner i'd ride the flume trail from spooner lake rather than the ride we're going to do. that's what i did when i started riding and had a great time, was challenged in sections but the views were amazing.

on our ride we're not fast by hammerhead standards but we'll cover the 35 miles over the course of the day and there is climbing plus reasonably techy parts to the ride. the flume is much better suited to beginners in my opinion. you can shuttle back from the bottom of the flume as well, amazing views and just a great ride as long as you don't get scared by big drops off to the side of the trail...

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It's about attitude

ride4pedro said:
How hard is the rim trail for a beginner? My wife got me into this trip to tahoe to visit her girlfriend thisweekend and I found to be a perfect opportunity to hit the tahoe trails which I have never done. The problem is that the girlfriend's husband wants to come too:rolleyes: , and he does not seem like he rides a bike much...I am planning on taking the spooner's shuttle to mt. rose and ride the tahoe rim trail. Do you think it is suitable for a 45-year-old beginner:confused: ?!
I did it as a 50+ beginner but I have the right attitude, enthusiasm, spirit of adventure, and I used to do distance running. You could do it if you have the right attitude, you've been riding some reasonable distances and you just take it easy. However, if the other guy does not ride much then do not take him! But I'm not sure you should ride a new trail out in the wilderness solo. Even today I won't ride a new trail solo the first time.

You are dropped off at 8,700 ft and then you climb for about two miles. And you are committed to riding the next 9+ miles before any bailout points. And what bike does he have? Is it reliable? Technical is relative. The first time I thought it was quite technical and I walked a lot of stuff. Now I don't think it is very technical. But better have him mad at you than you have to carry him out or send for medical assistance.

If you do The Flume trail from Spooner Lake with this guy odds are he will turn around once he gets tired on that 4.5 mile fire-road climb. Then you can be on your own, do the Flume and either take the shuttle back from the bottom of Tunnel Creek, or turn around and come back the way you came.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.